10 "little known" facts about Return of the Jedi

Because...

...if anyone can do it, why did we need Luke or his sister? Who cares about the son of Skywalker?

Otherwise Luke becomes just an average Joe who happens to be the son of the villain. Otherwise, any one of hundreds of trillions of people could do the same damn thing that Luke did and the whole story that was told becomes moot.

And as for the alternate ending, it makes zero sense, and would anger people in more ways than one. As someone already said, it would have the same effect as Anakin changing sides in an instant in ROTS; jarring and confusing.

Anakin did it for his love and hate for the Jedi uppers for not supporting him. People do crazy stuff to protect their love ones. Yoda is the reason for the down fall of the Jedi. Luke wouldn't have any reason to be a Sith Lord at that moment. Sith / empire killed his family, all his friends were rebel scum, killed his master old Ben. Plus he was never a power hungry guy. If he was then it would have been father n Son whoop Ass mode than return of the Jedi.

Anakin did it for his love and hate for the Jedi uppers for not supporting him. People do crazy stuff to protect their love ones.

The fact that neither of those two sentences has anything to do with the other underlines one of the fundamental problems with Anakin's motivation. Is he pissed because he wants to advance to "master" and they won't let him? Is he basically just a damaged little boy with the powers of a demigod and serious abandonment and mommy issues? Is it because he's mad at Padme for betraying him? Is it because he wants to bring order to the galaxy and prevent future wars through rigid control?

Yes!

It's all of those things!

Except, none of them are all that well developed in the films, which is why his turn -- while expected because we know how the story ends -- seems...unearned. I mean, really, he might as well have said "I'm mad because I can't be a master, I miss my mom, I won't let Padme die so I'll use evil to save her, Padme's a ***** for not letting me save her and ratting me out to Obi-Wan so I'm gonna kill her, I'm mad at myself for killing Padme (except I didn't kill Padme), and...uh...something about wouldn't it be better if the senate didn't control stuff and one guy could just make bold executive decisions. Raaaah!"

[quote[Luke wouldn't have any reason to be a Sith Lord at that moment. Sith / empire killed his family, all his friends were rebel scum, killed his master old Ben. Plus he was never a power hungry guy. If he was then it would have been father n Son whoop Ass mode than return of the Jedi.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but I think that Luke's flip would've ended up being dealt with in just as jarring a way as Anakin's was.

As has been stated: the success of the original trilogy as a story is largely because of the COLLECTIVE effort involved, rather than the singular work of George Lucas. The problem is that this "cult of Lucas" grew up around the trilogy that HE was the guy who made it all happen -- to the point where even he believed it. And it simply isn't the case. He was the original idea man, yes, but other people were telling him "That makes no sense. We shouldn't do that."

Also, originally, Chewbacca was going to be able to speak clearly, and Paul Linde was tapped as the voice...but he had to bow out due to schedule conflicts with filming Hollywood Squares.

Paul Lynde? What? What? ...

You're serious?

So his appearance on Donnie and Marie with Chewie was also an inside joke?

08-chewie-and-paul-lynde.jpg

No, I was making it up, but that's hysterical!

However, the fact that the absurdity of my joke didn't immediately tell you it was, in fact, a joke kinda speaks to the notion that Lucas was all over the place with ideas, and Star Wars could've been VERY different (and crappy) if not for the influence of many people.

Mommy issues, well yeah since that was his only family member growing up. His mother was everything to him beside Padme. He switched before he thought padme betrayed him. The one guy who knew how to protect someone they loved was gonna get cut down with out Jedi way justice. So he took out useless mace out *high five Ani. So thinking that he could save padme he joined up with the Sith. Why not, Jedi didn't give two poops about him really. He was sick of the wars too, this could end it. He did bring balance to the force, just not the way the Jedi wanted. Like one of them said, maybe the prophecy was wrong or we missed understood it. Then Obi comes out and he flips out cause they were like brothers and gonna have to fight it out. Chokes padme out thinking well I got nothing left now she hates me. Man gonna have issues. He should have been a master, sorry but he was kicking butt every where he went ( but round 1 of count dooku) gotta reward a fast learner and help him out. The Jedi feared him and they should cause he was like a demigod. But turn him into an friend and support / reward his hard work.

No, I was making it up, but that's hysterical!

However, the fact that the absurdity of my joke didn't immediately tell you it was, in fact, a joke kinda speaks to the notion that Lucas was all over the place with ideas, and Star Wars could've been VERY different (and crappy) if not for the influence of many people.

GL has made so many oddball ill-conceived choices (e.g. Boba Fett as Luke's mom?) that it was semi-plausible.

I still consider Lucas as a talented and perceptive director. His fundamental problem is not uncommon - even among very good directors. It seems that, when you're working on a shoestring budget, that really forces you to take inventory on what is essential for the screen. You micromanage and try to have a hand in every aspect of your precarious production e.g. creative solutions for in-camera effects. That degree of focus is a maddeningly exhaustive process that can only be driven by an immense degree of passion and a lot of desperation. The amount of original design (sound, visual effects, the entire setting ...) in SW is simply staggering. It was certainly a collaboration but it was still mostly GL and his vision.

SW (1977) was so tightly edited that the story unfolded like a brilliant musical composition. That kind of editing from a single individual requires ultra-meticulous orchestration of action, themes, score, humor, logic ... etc. It's no wonder so many directors burn out creatively. I'm not surprised that he didn't direct ESB. Birthing a labor of love can drive you mad.

A young talented, passionate director is also blessed with ignorance. If they truly understood the magnitude of a large production most would probably not do it. Many sequels lack the purity of the original simply because a director would now have more people involved with key elements of production. It's so liberating to have someone else do the bulk of your editing ... or casting ... or directing. It's so much easier to have CG contracted by a company overseas who never set foot on your lot. The lack of cohesive vision is evident in so many series. ESB wasn't bad at all ... it's not as pure as SW IMO. ROTJ was just tragic.

I felt the same with Mad Max ... although Miller held it together pretty we'll by MM2: The Road Warrior. Thunderdome was ROTJ with wild children instead of Ewoks.

GL has made so many oddball ill-conceived choices (e.g. Boba Fett as Luke's mom?) that it was semi-plausible.

I still consider Lucas as a talented and perceptive director. His fundamental problem is not uncommon - even among very good directors. It seems that, when you're working on a shoestring budget, that really forces you to take inventory on what is essential for the screen. You micromanage and try to have a hand in every aspect of your precarious production e.g. creative solutions for in-camera effects. That degree of focus is a maddeningly exhaustive process that can only be driven by an immense degree of passion and a lot of desperation. The amount of original design (sound, visual effects, the entire setting ...) in SW is simply staggering. It was certainly a collaboration but it was still mostly GL and his vision.

SW (1977) was so tightly edited that the story unfolded like a brilliant musical composition. That kind of editing from a single individual requires ultra-meticulous orchestration of action, themes, score, humor, logic ... etc. It's no wonder so many directors burn out creatively. I'm not surprised that he didn't direct ESB. Birthing a labor of love can drive you mad.

I agree that Lucas was the guiding hand behind much of the success of Star Wars. But I find the whole cult of the auteur thing to be...I dunno...giving him a bit too much credit. We've heard the wacky ideas he came up with on his own. We saw the result of "unchained Lucas" with the prequels where he could literally do anything he wanted. And while he still got advice from other people (didn't Tom Stoppard try to punch up the script from ROTS?), we still got what we got. In all honesty, I don't think he changed all THAT much in that time, EXCEPT insofar as his tolerance for working and playing with people who would directly challenge him and say "That's a dumb idea. We shouldn't do it at all."

I do agree, however, that he was clearly pretty passionate about this stuff, and perhaps it was that passion that led him to SO love his creation and his ideas, that he just couldn't take having people tell him "You dressed your kid funny. Everyone on the schoolyard is gonna laugh at him."

A young talented, passionate director is also blessed with ignorance. If they truly understood the magnitude of a large production most would probably not do it. Many sequels lack the purity of the original simply because a director would now have more people involved with key elements of production. It's so liberating to have someone else do the bulk of your editing ... or casting ... or directing. It's so much easier to have CG contracted by a company overseas who never set foot on your lot. The lack of cohesive vision is evident in so many series. ESB wasn't bad at all ... it's not as pure as SW IMO. ROTJ was just tragic.

I felt the same with Mad Max ... although Miller held it together pretty we'll by MM2: The Road Warrior. Thunderdome was ROTJ with wild children instead of Ewoks.

It's funny you mentioned editing since, as I understand it, Marcia Lucas was HEAVILY involved in the editing...which adds an emotional dimension to all of this stuff, too. Star Wars is indeed tightly edited, as is ESB...by Lucas' ex-wife. I wouldn't be surprised if that played...rather a role in how he chose to do things in the future.

And as for Mad Max, yeah, the first two were just cracking good actioners. The third one is definitely the Yub Yub of the bunch.

--EDIT--

To be clear, I don't mean to say that George Lucas is some talentless hack. Obviously that's not the case. I think that, as an idea-man, he's one of the best in the business. But he's at his best when he has limiting factors on his imagination. I've said for years that I think his ratio of good ideas to bad goes like this:

Out of 10 ideas....

...5 are total crap. "NO, George. Those are BAD ideas. We're not doing that."

...3 are decent, and can be improved into something way better. "Hmm...that's pretty cool, actually. But what if instead of 'I love you too,' he says 'I know' and then BAM. Frozen."

...and 2 are pure genius. The kind of thing where you sense the hand of the divine at work, if you're at all religious.

With the OOT, I think we pretty much got two movies of genius and pretty-good-and-improved, and one movie of pretty-good-and-occasionally-not-improved. With the PT, I think we got all 10. There ARE some amazing moments in it. There ARE some decent-but-could-be-improved moments. And there is a whole bunch of crap. But none of that is to say that the genius parts aren't genius. They are. They're just not enough -- for my sense of enjoyment, anyway -- to offset the other stuff and make me want to watch.

Last edited:
god i wish di$ney would just start the whole saga from scratch and make it a consistant, cohesive story, but alas......its di$ney, they are going to **** it up

I always thought "American Grafitti" was Georges greatest film.

With THX 1138 coming in second.

Both of those were pure Genius

I always thought "American Grafitti" was Georges greatest film.

With THX 1138 coming in second.

Both of those were pure Genius

American Graffiti is one of my all time favorites... there are a number of movies you never get tired of watching over and over again (Forest Gump for example) and American Graffiti is one of those classics for sure!

Interesting.. I must say I do like #3 as well. I felt like they were never too clear on the distinction between Jedi Knight and Master in the prequels.

I remember the clone idea. Also that he might be his brother.

Funnily enough, this same theory was applied to The Master in Doctor Who. One of Anthony Ainley's latter appearances in the role had him hinting at the relationship, even.

I guess the same tropes tend to pop up.

god i wish di$ney would just start the whole saga from scratch and make it a consistant, cohesive story, but alas......its di$ney, they are going to **** it up

Really? I doubt that. Disney has to fix the inconsistencies that Star Wars' own creator messed up! (Sorry I can only hear 'originally intended' for so long before it loses its power).

Really? I doubt that. Disney has to fix the inconsistencies that Star Wars' own creator messed up! (Sorry I can only hear 'originally intended' for so long before it loses its power).

George Lucas "always intended" that the Yub Yub song at the end was supposed to be what it was at the time of release...however, recent facts have come to light to indicate that he originally intended to have the lyrics still be "Yub Yub", but the tune to be an orchestral rendition of The Stooges' "I Wanna Be Your Dog." Some suggest that this may derive from Lucas' original intent to have the ewoks be wookiees, who were themselves inspired by his pet Malamute, Indiana.

HAHAHAH! ^^

I got a shipped notice from Amazon on my making of ROTJ book and can't wait to get it! It should be an awesome read!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back