#1: Captain America Shield -- AoU Movie Style (WIP)

The14thDr

Sr Member
I'm still putting together some research for my Iron Man Mk.43 suit, so in the meantime I've decided to work on another Avengers-themed project: Captain America's shield. The main material for this build is corrugated cardboard, as that was the quickest and cheapest thing I could get my hands on without having to leave the house and buy anything.
So far I've assembled the main shape of the shield, and now I'm about 70% through the first coat of paper mache.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433077467.084462.jpg

If anyone has any criticism or advice for this build, post it below and I'll try my best to reply as soon as possible.
Kind regards, The14thDr :D

Thanks Venomsuit. :) I managed to do a bit more paper macheing this afternoon and I'm now about 85% through the first coat.
More updates coming soon. Kind regards, The14thDr :D

Last edited by a moderator:
This is gonna be so cool!
Thanks OneGoodScare! I have high hopes for this build too. Hopefully I'll be able to finish the first coat of paper mache today and fill that hole in the centre of the shield.

Are you going to attempt the new handle design?

View attachment 483861
I'm unsure at the moment. It's a cool design, but I'll have to see whether or not I can replicate that type of handle with the available materials.I'd love to though, as the fold away handles look really neat and compact.

Update Time!!! Today I finished applying the first coat of paper mache. The trick to getting the paper mache as strong as possible is to use small pieces of ripped up newspaper (the smaller, the better). For the 'paste' I'm using undiluted PVA glue, as this will make the shield even tougher.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433177979.131023.jpg

I can now move onto paper macheing the inside of the shield, which at the moment is rough and uneven.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433178165.587926.jpg

I also managed to plug the hole in the centre of the shield. I did this by cutting out a circle of cereal box (measuring about 116mm wide) and taping this to the inside of the shield. Then I added a bead of PVA glue around the edge, just to make everything tight and secure.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433178319.969742.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433178331.926571.jpg

Thanks for looking guys. I look forward to receiving any comments, criticism or advice. Kind regards, The14thDr :D

Yesterday I started the first coat of paper mache on the inside of the shield. I'm just about half way through, so I should have this layer completed by the end of today.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433312277.867805.jpg

Thanks for looking guys. If you have any questions, comments or advice, I'll do my best to reply as soon as possible. Kind regards, The14thDr :D

Last edited:
So this update is a couple of days later than I initially anticipated. But nevertheless, I've completed the first of coat of paper mache on the inside of the shield.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433524707.420377.jpg

Next up I'll use more paper mache to cover up the unsightly trim around the edge of the shield.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433524828.042206.jpg
Then I can apply the second coat of paper mache and add the bracket and straps.

Yesterday I used some more paper mache to cover up the cardboard rim around the edge of the shield.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433698591.984403.jpg

Then my dad kindly helped me plug the hole in the centre of the shield using a circle of cereal box card, which I paper mached this morning.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433698664.677341.jpg

After that I began work on the shield's inside bracket. For this I cut out a cardboard circle measuring 260mm wide, and then I cut out a second circle, this time measuring 180mm wide. The smaller circle was fixed into the centre of the large circle using PVA glue.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433698690.625479.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433698805.221714.jpg

The next piece that had to be completed for the inside bracket was the two 'arms' that reach in from the edges of the shields. These were constructed using three cardboard rectangles that were glued together.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433698830.693931.jpg

Here's a mock-up of the entire bracket.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433698932.750854.jpg

------ UPDATED ------

Here's a mock-up of the bracket inside the shield, just to get a sense of scale and proportion.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433699217.872816.jpg

Let me know what you all think of the shield (and bracket) so far. Kind regards, The14thDr :D

Last edited:
More updates guys! I made a 'platform' on the inside of the shield to glue the bracket onto once the shield approaches completion. It measures 260mm wide (just 10mm wider than the centre circle of my bracket), and is just cut out from cereal box card.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433859402.859410.jpg

Earlier on in the week I finished applying the 2nd coat of paper mache, and today I added an undercoat of white paint to cover up most of the newsprint.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434127055.011177.jpg
Next up: Applying the red paint to the top of the shield.

Last edited:
Nothing much to report today. However, I did manage to paint the 5 segments for the star in the centre of the shield.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434216642.935524.jpg
These will be glued into place once the rest of the shield has been painted and I finish the blue centre circle.

In other news; I bought another bottle of red poster paint today, meaning I can start painting the top side of the shield tomorrow. :) :) :)

Five coats and almost half a bottle of red paint later, and I've just about managed to cover the newsprint and get a nice even finish on the shield.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434522169.967550.jpg
As you can see in the bottom left-hand corner there is a darker patch where the newsprit is still showing through. I'm not too worried about this, though, as it helps me achieve the 'battle-damaged' look I've been going for.
Unfortunately, in some places you can still make out whole words from the headlines on the newspaper, so this will need painting over as soon as possible.

Let me know what you think below. I'll try to get another update posted soon, as I want to add the blue centre circle next.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back