1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama

Thanks! it started out as just Bandai Xwing with some really tricky lighting. Pico LED's let you do stuff that would not have been possible with regular LED's, especially with Bandai stuff. Anyway, I was just going to have it sit on a shelf with the MPC Falcon, then I wanted to get a snow speeder to go with...then someone, can't recall who now, said hey just build Echo Base...so here I am. Then I wanted a better Falcon, so goes the PG. It just sort of snowballed LOL pun intended :lol
OK new guy to the thread, but looks like I arrived at a damn good time :)

Looking pretty EPIC ! Seriously, looks great !!

.....now to go back and read through a few more details.

I accomplished quite a bit over the weekend, including cutting and fitting the ceiling panel, but the texture still needs to be applied and the light fixtures built. As I was doing the panel I realized I should have done this long ago while there was still nothing in the dio, but it's all good.
I built the round house wall conduit/piping and got as close as I could given the shoddy images I had to go off of, but it works. and then I just started placing things and drilling pin holes for the figures. my scratch built snow speeder I decided to install the pilot and gunner and this one will be in the front as if heading out. I built the last of the 4 speeders and paint is in process. The scene with the guys standing around disgusted with the wrecked speeder is pretty funny. but I'm especially pleased with Leia briefing the pilots and a few troops. echooo1.jpegechooo2.jpegechooo3.jpegechooo4.jpegechooo5.jpegechooo6.jpegechooo7.jpegechooo8.jpegechooo9.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

echooo10.jpgforgot one...

I accomplished quite a bit over the weekend, including cutting and fitting the ceiling panel, but the texture still needs to be applied and the light fixtures built. As I was doing the panel I realized I should have done this long ago while there was still nothing in the dio, but it's all good.
I built the round house wall conduit/piping and got as close as I could given the shoddy images I had to go off of, but it works. and then I just started placing things and drilling pin holes for the figures. my scratch built snow speeder I decided to install the pilot and gunner and this one will be in the front as if heading out. I built the last of the 4 speeders and paint is in process. The scene with the guys standing around disgusted with the wrecked speeder is pretty funny. but I'm especially pleased with Leia briefing the pilots and a few troops. View attachment 839353View attachment 839354View attachment 839355View attachment 839356View attachment 839357View attachment 839358View attachment 839359View attachment 839360View attachment 839361

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 839375forgot one...

Dude... that's amazing! Love the Leia briefing scene! Brilliant work!

Arrghh!!!... you’re killing me Ross ! Those update pics are brilliant..., but it’s not good enough !... it’s gotta be viewed in the flesh mate !:lol

When are you planning to take this on tour !?...., what are the Aussie date’s & itinerary !? :p

:cheersGed

I built the round house wall conduit/piping and got as close as I could given the shoddy images I had to go off of, but it works. and then I just started placing things and drilling pin holes for the figures. my scratch built snow speeder I decided to install the pilot and gunner and this one will be in the front as if heading out. I built the last of the 4 speeders and paint is in process. The scene with the guys standing around disgusted with the wrecked speeder is pretty funny. but I'm especially pleased with Leia briefing the pilots and a few troops. View attachment 839353View attachment 839354View attachment 839355View attachment 839356View attachment 839357View attachment 839358View attachment 839359View attachment 839360View attachment 839361

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 839375forgot one...
Nice... Very nice.... But you are not a Jedi yet ;)
Well done m8... ;)

please don't take me serious I'm crazy :)

ceiling1.jpegceiling2.jpegceiling3.jpegceiling4.jpegspeeder6.jpegspeeder7.jpegspeeder8.jpeggot the ceiling panel all sized and trimmed, it didn't sag a whole lot on its own, so rather than the cantilever I planned, I just screwed on a piece of scrap wood I had laying around and I think that'll do it. spread so sheet rock mud and combed it out.
Finished speeder 4 (in the first alcove) and stuck the bottom with 3/8 clear rod so they can hover. The scratched speeder has pilots and decent lighting and is on 5/8 rod...all have 3, but this one I think I'll drill the floor and fix it with a single rod...better. and then try to disguise the wires the go through the floor to plug it in.

- - - Updated - - -

Next of course is to paint the ceiling and start on the light fixtures. The ceiling panel will plug in to the main and be removable.

hoth ceiling1.jpegit's hard to see, but the ceiling panel is surfaced and painted. fits pretty good. I had positioned the panel where it needed to go, then marked the underside inner edge with a pencil> Then taped those edged off so after the mud was done, I could peel the tape off for a nice flush fit to the wall panels. I figure I'll shoot the round blue edge white (yeah, shoulda done that already) then, the strip of wood I put on the top to eliminate the panel's slight sag runs right beside the blue round. To raise the blue to slightly above the ceiling (it sags a bit) I'm going to drill two properly angled holes through the wood and the blue part and just put dowels or pins through the holes so its an easy removable piece. Though I will also bond small pieces of the white acrylic on the outer edges of the ceiling piece to hold it in place even though the pins/dowels would probably do fine.

hoth ceiling2.jpghoth ceiling3.jpghere is a bit closer up. there's still a bit of the sheet rock mud to clean off for a better fit on the small section in the back, and a tad on the right wall (if you were in it facing out) and of course that blue bucket edge will get shot white, but once the pin system is in, that edge will disappear upward.

morepics1.jpegmorepics2.jpegmorepics3.jpegmorepics4.jpegmorepics5.jpegmorepics6.jpegmorepics7.jpegno new additions really, just played around with placement and lighting. I put a flashlight on Leia and figured out the little scene will need a light of it's own. I wasn't going to do that large yellowish light thing in the center with the hoses coming out of it like that 1/48 diorama, but...I guess I'll have to because the placement of the other light fixtures is too close to the left and right and likely won't illuminate the center sufficiently. So more work for the ceiling than I had planned, but it will be all the more detailed and should be more light. the stick on remote LED lights that are stuck to the roof of the shelf opening provide great light for the round house section, but if I take tis and show it, I'll have to have something else in there. So, another thing to work out :unsure
Oh, and I took a shot of the Trooper helmet I just had to have. like the reviews say, the voice changer thing is for crap, and it needs padding and a chin strap, but it's pretty cool.
And...I ordered myself an, "I'm getting divorced" gift...the Anovos Storm Trooper Armor kit. :lol

Nope, all from my own two hands. of course without all you guys helping me along, it would be what it is. Thanks my friend, I'm definitely taking this to the show. of course I'll have to rent or borrow an SUV to get it there. The wife and her RAV4 will be long gone, and this wouldn't survive in my pick up bed, nor will it fit in my mustang!
Ross this is unbelievable!! Are you sure these aren't screen captures of ESB. You definitely need to take this to a show!!

Nope, all from my own two hands. of course without all you guys helping me along, it would be what it is. Thanks my friend, I'm definitely taking this to the show. of course I'll have to rent or borrow an SUV to get it there. The wife and her RAV4 will be long gone, and this wouldn't survive in my pick up bed, nor will it fit in my mustang!

Good luck, hope you come back with Best of Show! :thumbsup

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back