1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama

hey thanks brother! That was my initial though on having a printer, my DeAgo that's in the closet, waiting it's turn...all 6 boxes of it. I had already picked out and made a list of Shapeways stuff for it, and that was 1100 bucks and I paid 1200 for the DeAgo when it was on sale as a complete. I reckon I'll get up and running on the printer eventually but it'll be a hard learning curve. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed with that sort of thing :lol:wacko But the dio is coming along nicely, so far. I just hope the finished product won't be lacking for anything. Trying to take my time and think of everything.
Shapeways is a blessing and a curse. I keep building and printing things for my DeAgo falcon. I need to stop or it will never be done! I love what you are doing on this dio. Its gonna be sweet!

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome, thanks for the tip! :thumbsup I was going to swing by the hobby shop at lunch today to see what they might have for this, if not I'll hit the link you sent me :thumbsup
I use a brush over primer or paint. You can thin it slightly with mineral spirits. If you do, it flows different, so you'd have to play around with it but thinning it slightly gets you easier coverage for delicate parts and you don't need to buff it as much.

Thanks Ged! the figures seem to be pretty sturdy actually. I've used the Testors on some other delicate parts, using one fore finger to support the piece, and buffing with cue tips (cotton swabs) will usually get it where you want it, or at least close. certainly better than just paint with clear over it :thumbsup
Hey Ross ,

Check out this guy on YouTube under - ‘ Sonastro’s Painting ‘ .

He’s an incredible artist painting up miniature figures , including ones from the Star Wars Assault range .
His version of C3-PO is simply stunning ... all hand painted !

I agree with @korben44 that Rub’n’ Buff is very good at reproducing metallic finishes , but my major concern would be causing damage/ breakage if used as intended ( vigorous rubbing application ) on such small , delicate looking pieces . Just my .02 ;)

:cheersGed

p.s. Love what you’ve accomplished thus far with this , and really enjoy watching it progress so brilliantly .

I screen shot that post of yours, gonna give it a good look this weekend :thumbsup I'm still thinking there has to be a better way to give 3PO a shiny finish. Gotta get some other stuff from Shapeways today so I was thinking on getting another set of 4. easy-off oven cleaner works great on regular model plastic, but not sure what it would do to these :confused
That Sonastro guy is pretty fantastic at painting those figures! Real inspiration there... need to up my game, I guess...lol

- - - Updated - - -

C3PO1.JPGCould very well be at this scale, this is as good as it gets...further research is required:facepalm

I screen shot that post of yours, gonna give it a good look this weekend :thumbsup I'm still thinking there has to be a better way to give 3PO a shiny finish. Gotta get some other stuff from Shapeways today so I was thinking on getting another set of 4. easy-off oven cleaner works great on regular model plastic, but not sure what it would do to these :confused

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 833433Could very well be at this scale, this is as good as it gets...further research is required:facepalm

You might try stripping them down, hitting them with a black primer like Mr Surfacer 5000... That's what I use. And then use the gold stuff. I'll try that out tonight since I have the primer and the gold leaf wax Rub n Buff. I'll post my results for you and see what I can come up with.

I've been using Citadel corax black and it's fine for most things, but not so much on tiny figures. perhaps I nee to start micro sanding these little sob's to get them smoother before primer?
You might try stripping them down, hitting them with a black primer like Mr Surfacer 5000... That's what I use. And then use the gold stuff. I'll try that out tonight since I have the primer and the gold leaf wax Rub n Buff. I'll post my results for you and see what I can come up with.

oh yes, those are included in the plan but did want some variety. it's just difficult at this scale I think. but at the same time I think there has to be a way to give these little dudes great detail and finish. just gotta do more experimentation. Say man, you would know, I think...oven cleaner paint removal safe for these?
It’s Hoth’s Echo Base. Paint ‘em white or orange. :)

I've never tried oven cleaner on 3D printed acrylic plastic, I'm afraid. Do you have any leftover bits you could test on?

As a matter of fact I do, good call. test on something irrelevant. I know I should just plant these guys as is, but...I want better :thumbsup Thanks brother!
I've never tried oven cleaner on 3D printed acrylic plastic, I'm afraid. Do you have any leftover bits you could test on?

peoplendroids1.jpegpeoplendroids2.jpegWell I never thought I'd have this many, but between people and droids the count is 79, plus I've got 2 more females from the cantina set which I think I'll put in the round house observation room and I've got one of Gus' primo R2's coming plus 3 R4D5's, which seemed like a must have for the droid community. So for a 2ft by 3ft diorama, is 85 figures enough? :lol Also, I went out on a limb and confirmed...3D plastic can withstand Easy-Off oven cleaner for paint removal :thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

in case you guys are counting, in my number I included 2 pilot figures and one trooper that are in the ground transports (not pictured) :lol:thumbsup

A fun discovery, incidentally. The Yavin type ground lights from Episode IV were recycled as part of the meditation chamber/holo suite set in Episode V. Or at least seemingly identical looking objects! They're not the Echo Base ground lights, since they lack the three horizontal slots on the front, and are red and not blue on the top.

Coming soon to a home improvement store near you. Darth Vader style wall-washing uplight sconces.

Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 15.29.29.jpg

attachment.jpg

Really? I'd put those in my hallway, the ones that are there are...eh ok, but those would be cool :thumbsup
A fun discovery, incidentally. The Yavin type ground lights from Episode IV were recycled as part of the meditation chamber/holo suite set in Episode V. Or at least seemingly identical looking objects! They're not the Echo Base ground lights, since they lack the three horizontal slots on the front, and are red and not blue on the top.

Coming soon to a home improvement store near you. Darth Vader style wall-washing uplight sconces.

View attachment 833767

https://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=832020&d=1532194498

gantry lights1.jpeggantry lights2.jpeggantry lights3.jpeggantry lights4.jpegground lights5.jpgThe cluster of spot lights on the gantries isn't going to be possible. After I finished with the falcon ground lights I had 3 left over so I made spots out of them for the front and center gantry, then one for one of the others, going to try to have that focused on a wrecked speeder with a bunch of guys looking at it. We'll see how it goes. So, on another note, my hobby shop guy says to use baking soda for my snow. has anyone ever used it before? I'm wondering if it yellows as it ages.

thanks brothers

Your lit gantry is looking beautiful Ross . Only ever used baking powder with CA for filler .
Is talcum powder too fine a substance for snow at this scale ?

hey thanks Ged! I'd reckon that's a good option, sure :thumbsup it's almost time for that part. I figured on taking everything and figuring out the placement, then mark the floor where it goes, including the walls. Then place strips of masking tape where the points are so as to keep the glue downs clean. Then figure out what glue to use, (though about spray adhesive) then spread the powder and let it sit a while, then shake off the excess. then I can peel the tape up and glue stuff down? if anyone has a better method, by all means...
Your lit gantry is looking beautiful Ross . Only ever used baking powder with CA for filler .
Is talcum powder too fine a substance for snow at this scale ?

View attachment 833893View attachment 833894View attachment 833895View attachment 833896View attachment 833897The cluster of spot lights on the gantries isn't going to be possible. After I finished with the falcon ground lights I had 3 left over so I made spots out of them for the front and center gantry, then one for one of the others, going to try to have that focused on a wrecked speeder with a bunch of guys looking at it. We'll see how it goes. So, on another note, my hobby shop guy says to use baking soda for my snow. has anyone ever used it before? I'm wondering if it yellows as it ages.

thanks brothers

Brilliant work on the gantry lighting! Ged is correct, it's beautiful! I'd look into powdered sugar as well... That is certainly fine enough to pass as snow. Don't know if it yellows with age, though. Another thing you could do is whip up a batch of plaster of paris, let it dry, and then sand it. The resulting sanded plaster of paris makes for great snow...

Thanks! it'll do, it would have just been a nightmare trying to do the 3 lamp clusters like in that 1/48 dio. I did think about powdered sugar, but that would surely attract the bugs :sick Sanded plaster sounds like a viable solution as well. I'll have to experiment and see what adhesives and powdered things work best. And of course what adhesives are not going to discolor the powder.
Brilliant work on the gantry lighting! Ged is correct, it's beautiful! I'd look into powdered sugar as well... That is certainly fine enough to pass as snow. Don't know if it yellows with age, though. Another thing you could do is whip up a batch of plaster of paris, let it dry, and then sand it. The resulting sanded plaster of paris makes for great snow...

Decided to google snow, found Woodland Scenic. mostly train stuff but the fake snow ought to be close to scale. bought 6 bags of it @ 2.60 and a couple of the spray bottles of the glue intended for it. 30 bucks...and we know it's purpose made for the usage :thumbsup

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back