1/500 reboot JJ Abrams Enterprise

I'm totally fine with it, dude. Your build is one of the "reference" builds I look at for direction (the other being HughB's). I'd like to do counter-rotating blades as well, but I can't find the right kind of motors or gears for them. So I'll have to make do with single-direction rotation.

Thanks konp. Here is a little rundown on how I did my bussard effect, I used the mechanics from two very cheap mini helicopters. I also replaced the DC brushed motors with 8mm stepper motors, the original motors spun too fast, the steppers can run much slower, the down side to that is it takes electronics to run them, one Arduino Pro-Mini for the clock and two A4988 2 phase Stepper motor driver for the motors. I think it's a little more work but a better effect. Some of these photos are before I changed the motors, I did post a picture of the mechanics with the 8mm stepper motor. Let me know if you'd like more info......

Cheap chopper.jpg Bussard assy001.jpg Bussard assy003.jpg Bussard assy005.jpg

Bussard assy006.jpg Prototype Counter-Rotating assy with 8mm Stepper Motor 72dpi.jpg Bussard assy07 72dpi.jpg Bare-Metal foil on my JJ-Prise Bussard Lens.jpg

Dual Stepper Motor Controller-Driver 72dpi.jpg

Attachments

• Bussard assy002.jpg
    Bussard assy002.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 241
Last edited by a moderator:
How did you get away with only using 1 motor per nacelle to counter-rotate each bussard?

Also, would you mind pming me the arduino code to make the motors spin?

How did you get away with only using 1 motor per nacelle to counter-rotate each bussard?

Also, would you mind pming me the arduino code to make the motors spin?

There are two shafts, one on the inside, one on the outside as a sleeve, along with a four gear setup that takes the output from the motor and creates a counter rotation to each shaft, a very simple configuration. But, as it comes in the helicopter, the DC motor spins tooooo fast so it can create the lift needed to get it off the ground. Well, we don't want that speed so the stepper motor makes a good replacement, to avoid everyone's eyes rolling back in their heads, I'll leave it at that.....

PM sent.

Oh lol, I meant more like, what kind of gear configuration did you use to make 1 motor drive 2 things in opposite directions? Every counter-rotating copter I've seen uses two motors.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back