1/48 Star Wars Stage Echo Base Hangar Diorama

^link doesn't seem to work, would be very interested in seeing another build...as long as it's not made from Lego's :)

Strange... Maybe Yahoo Japan doesn't allow outside linking to their blogs. Anyways, here's the image linked from my photo bucket account.

img_1803769_65408055_10.jpg

^Neat Diorama

I was trying to figure out how I can make the Landing lights that are seen on both sides of the hangar down the center. Most examples that I have seen others make for these lights where just way too inaccurate.

I could have sculpted them, or scratched them in plastic myself, but I wouldn't be able to get the detail right and it wouldn't be too clean. Then I considered laser cutting a styrene pattern and putting it together, but its size seemed too small and complex to get this done. In addition I wanted it hollow so I can add an LED into it for lighting.

Then it occurred to me...why not get these 3D printed? I drew up the light shell using the available reference that I have in AutoCAD 3D scaled at 1/48, and exported it to a .stl file. Uploaded it to shapeways.com and now hopefully I will have my first landing light in hand in a week or so.

7136751955_45d379b627_z.jpg

https://www.shapeways.com/product/EBH9J5XLZ/landing-light-set-of-10?optionId=61471171

Last edited:
little package arrived yesturday containing my laser cut floor grates :love
7158597162_5b7f5f9110_z.jpg

they are so small, but once placed into the diorama they do add a nice touch. I just need to add small feet to the corners and they should be ready to go.

7158597012_8ac42eab34_z.jpg

Another little package arrived today, my 3D printed landing lights :love
I had two printed out just to see how they would look and I think they printed nicely. May want to sand the parts a bit for a smoother finish, otherwise, I am looking forward to seeing these little guys lit up

now I just need 28 more

7199858070_2337b35bf9_z.jpg

Got to work on my Shield Doors, cut from styrene

7261938818_de54c11671_z.jpg

I like how they came out. Now I just need to add a few lights and paint it

7261938932_7f4e888bac_z.jpg

The Shield Doors must be closed

7261938720_bc23011f6e_z.jpg

More 3D Droids to be printed. Ended up drafting them up myself from scratch. I'm Def lookin' forward to seeing how they come out.

7330653788_5376da738e_z.jpg
7330653842_9da587c4b0_z.jpg

edit: Finished drafting up all the droids that inhabit the Hanger, minus the Three protocol droids. I will have to tackle those later. I'm going to be placing another order with shapeways.com later this month, so some time in early May I think we should see all these little guys in hand.

Anyone know where I can get plans for C-3P0?

https://www.shapeways.com/product/GYVQK3SE2/1-48-o-scale-robot-5-3-leg?optionId=4937116

https://www.shapeways.com/product/NYUKZGG7D/1-48-o-scale-robot-4-3-leg?optionId=4944361

Last edited:
Sorry,
but I'm gonna have to copy all your hard work.
I want this dio.
I've been collecting the ships for this dio in 72nd and 48th scale.

My next dio I would do is the Mon Cal hanger with the fighters and the Falcon and Lambda shuttle.
I'm only missing the shuttle to get that dio going.

Love your work!

Quick little update that wasn't too quick to do. I have been avoiding this section of the Hangar as I had no idea how I was going to tackle it. I was thinking about getting a coned shaped bucket and cutting it to size, but I was hoping to keep the materials consistent. I then thought about getting it 3D printed, but a $1000+ quote shot that idea out of the water.

I figured the only way I was going to do it right was to draft up the cone flat and cut it out. I then placed the board in my Shop-vac tub as it was the right Diameter: filled the tub with water and let it soak. The idea was that the water would soften up the wood and allow it curve more. I then used clamps around the edges to hold it in place. Once the water was drained I allowed it to dry. pulling it out if the tub, the wood held its shape. Using a Dremell I cut out the doors and main window, then painted on the 'ice'. I think it turned out pretty well.

7369813006_108b76679d_z.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back