1/48 Star Wars Stage Echo Base Hangar Diorama

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by seven, Mar 31, 2012.

1. seven

seven Sr Member

This is going to be my first diorama build. I suspect it to be a slow one, but a fun one. I am going to build the Hangar of Echo Base. However, I thought it would be cool to recreate it as if it was a movie set (I was inspired by this post in Stevestarkillers Millennium Falcon thread). That said, I am starting the diorama by building the Star Wars Sound Stage that was constructed for ESB that housed the Hangar.

I picked 1/48 scale to incorporate the Fine Molds X-Wing models as well as Snowspeeders. Now, I just need someone to build me a 1/48 Millennium Falcon :love. The plan is to build and paint the models to match the full scale set, not the Studio Scale Miniatures.

So, first things first...I bought some cheap, thin board, had Home Depot cut it up for the floor, and four walls.

I printed out a scaled pattern of all four walls to mark my lines, draw them in, and start to lay down the H-Beams.

Once I have the main beams glued down, I'll start on the brick sheets. First wall is the front with the main bay door.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  2. seven

seven Sr Member

To anyone who has purchased the Star Wars Blueprints book, I could use your help. The Int. Main Hangar Deck (Plans and Elevations) page. 98-99 are the plans I am basing this diorama on. I have an image of this blueprint that I got from a member here before this book was released. I am hoping that the book is a higher resolution that could clear up some questions I have. If someone is willing to go over the plans with me to clarify a few things, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  3. seven

seven Sr Member

Picked some some 1/48 brick sheets. It is a thin plastic that can be cut with scissors, which makes things easier/quicker.

Each sheet makes three strips. Each strip is then cut and glued down in between each H-beam. I will also have to cut smaller strips to wrap around the beams. This is where things get a little sloppy.

Attached Files:

4. seven

seven Sr Member

Added 1/48 doors in the side walls that I got from Plastruct, and started lay out more H-beams. Not yet glued down, but cutting each piece to see how it lays all out. To do all four walls it's going to be a lot of "steel".
    Not sure how much detail I am going to put into the walls. For instance, electrical outlets, junction boxes, etc. If I get some decent reference I might. Painting is going to come much later down the road.
    I ended up cutting the left wall into four different sections so I could use my skill saw to cut out the doors. This seemed like a good idea at first, but I wont be doing this for the other three walls. I have had to glue the four sections back together and brace them to get some strength back in them. I will be cutting out the doors with the Dremel from now on.

Attached Files:

5. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

I've never even heard of someone doing a project like this. I'm intrigued, and will be following it closely. (I can't wait to see the 1/48 Lucas and Kershner. LOL)

6. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Cool idea, and ambitious. The "full size" Falcon was actually undersized, wonder if the MPC kit would fit?

7. MonsieurTox

MonsieurTox Master Member

Awesome idea ! If you're looking for a 1/48 Falcon, just use the Master Replica !
    But the full size was indeed undersized.

8. astroboy

astroboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

shall we place bets on when you start to regret doing the 1/48????;)

I think this is an awesome project. Seriously. I'd love to do a 1/144 version some day for a falcon.

9. seven

seven Sr Member

Thanks for the comments! The MR Millennium Falcon is a bit too large and the MPC is just too small. Ideally I would like to use the blueprints of the full size Falcon and scratch it in 1/48 (assuming they constructed it per the blueprints), for this reason I think that the Falcon may be the last thing on the list.

Did Lucas ever come down to the Hangar set? Filling the Hanger with 'life' is what is going to be the slowest part of this build. All the people, set props, droids, lights, etc.

As far as it's size goes, I am glad that I didn't make it any bigger. I was toying with the idea to make it Action-Figure scale, but that would have been too huge. There is actually a lot of things I can obtain in 1/48 scale (or O scale) from model railroad kits and accessories.

I got one corner of the Sound Stage up. Luckily I have a mini-pool table in the basement that my wife doesn't want anymore so it serves as a nice work table for this diorama for now.

Anyone have any suggestions how I can do the sliding bay doors? There is one large one at the front that was used as the entrance to the Hanger, and two smaller ones on the side. I would like to make them "functional" (i.e. slide open and shut), but not required. I would like to at least make the doors look the part. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

10. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is crazy cool! Looking forward to watching this.

11. astroboy

My God...this is my dream diorama.......

12. seven

seven Sr Member

Picked up the hangars first Fine Molds Snowspeeder, sitting where its bay will be (The paint is my first attempt to match the Full Size (FS) Snowspeeders, not the studio scale miniatures).

Completed the full left side wall. Quick aerial shot to show its size and layout. See how it fits the pool table, almost like it was made for it? I think that I will make all four walls, but the right wall will not be permanent so I can remove it, not only get into the diorama for placing details, but for a better way to view it too.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  13. seven

seven Sr Member

some quick pics of a ground floor point of view. Looking at it like this makes me realize just the shear size of the original sound stage. I do wonder what became of it. It does not appear to still stand today.

Attached Files:

Britcinescribe likes this.
  14. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

That's a pretty cool idea! I think Alfred Wong (on starshipmodeler.com) did a 1/48 Falcon, but Lucasfilm sent a C&D. It's probably hard, if not impossible to find now. Some were sold, but I wouldn't think anyone is selling.

15. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

An ambitious project, to be sure!

Can't wait for more!

Rich

16. SF HORIZONS

SF HORIZONS New Member

What a great concept. A model of a model (basically). Hopefully we'll see a 1/48th scale film crew on set!

17. SteveStarkiller

SteveStarkiller Sr Member

man, can't wait to see more of this.

18. blipper

blipper Sr Member

This is such an original idea, seven. Are you planning on any more sound stage diorama's? Seems like a new and interesting take on diorama modelling.

19. astroboy

I think it was only 60' long.

So he'll have to do that in 1/48

20. SteveStarkiller

I think the the full-scale falcon is actually more like 85.5' long (and both the ANH half falcon and the ESB full falcon were the same length).

in 1/48 scale, that's like 21.36 inches, if I'm not doing that math all wrong? but either way, since you're using the echobase soundstage plans, you've got the right size and location of the falcon all set for your scale.

21. seven

seven Sr Member

Thanks for the words of encouragement.:) It is kind of quick and dirty, but I am liking how it is coming out, when you take a step back :$

I currently don't, no. However, I have thought about not making the Hangar add-on's permanent, as it is the same sound stage that the Asteroid Cave and Landing Platform 327 where filmed. It could be a three-in-one diorama...?

The Int. Main Hangar Deck blueprints scales the full sized Falcon at around 87'-10" total length. But since there is no actual dimension, that number is loose. It could just as easily be around 85'-6". But like most contractors, they don't always build things exactly as laid out in the plans.

Here is a quick scale chart of the lengths that I have found online For the MPC and MR Falcons. If we assume they are 1/48 scale, then their full sized lengths would be as follows:

Full size Length_________1/48" Scale Length:

128'-0"________________ 2'-8" (32") - 1/32 Master Replica SS Model
    114'-0"________________ 2'-4 1/2" (28.5") - "Official" LFL Length
    93'-9"_________________ 1'-11 7/16" (23.4375") - 1/48 Scale
    87'-10"________________ 1'-10" (22") - Int. Main Hanger Blueprints
    85'-6"_________________ 1'-9 3/8" (21.375") Full Scale Falcon Set
    80'-0"_________________ 1'-8" (20") - 1:1 Falcon via: Star Wars Ep. IV IMDb Trivia
    74'-0"_________________ 1'-6 1/2" (18.5") - 1/58 MPC Millennium Falcon Model
    72'-0"_________________ 1'-6" (18") - 1/72 Fine Molds Millennium Falcon Model
    60'-0"_________________ 1'-3" (15")

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  22. SteveStarkiller

if you're doing details that are full-scale accurate and not studio model accurate, have you seen the plans from Rinzler's Star Wars: the Blueprints book? There's a sheet in there of the full-scale falcon's exterior greebles (and lighting positions) for the underside. I'm not sure if they have the topside in the book. You can see that they have the top plans in one of the preview videos they did for the book, they shuffle through some other plans and you can spot it, but it doesn't appear in the table of contents, unfortunately.

Either way, it might be worthwhile to build your own falcon, rather than trying to adapt a replica kit. Primarily because the full-scale falcon's greebles are about a 3rd less detailed than any of the studio models, and almost all differently sized and located. Just my two cents.

23. seven

seven Sr Member

I have not seen a large enough image from the new SW Blueprints book, no. I would love to pick one up as it would help a lot in this build (or see post #2). Thanks for the comments

Got the front attached. Sound stage is starting to take shape. Still trying to figure out how I am going to do the bay doors. I was thinking of using a U-channel for the top and bottom runners for the doors the slide back and forth in.

Attached Files:

24. seven

seven Sr Member

Layout of the right wall. This wall will be able to slide in and out to allow for better views. The sound stage of the diorama is nearing an end as far as construction. Paint, filler, and details will be last.

I ended up using the H-beam modded to U-Channel for the bay doors to slide open and shut.

Attached Files:

25. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

26. seven

seven Sr Member

I beleive those photos where taken on a different sound stage. In the Making of Empire book, it states Lucas was in London May 6 thru May 13, then he flew back to the States. Filming on the Hangar set begun May 22. So I don't think he ever made it to the set.

I set the right wall in its place to get a feel on how it fits and will look when completed.

Attached Files:

27. NintendoLiam

NintendoLiam Member

Will be following this thread!
    Looks an amazing project

28. seven

seven Sr Member

Couple more pictures of the sound stage with all four wall up. I will need to make another order into Plastruct to finish laying out the steel.

I added some braces to the back side to help with keeping the wall vertical and for a little extra strength in connecting the wall to the floor.

Attached Files:

29. seven

seven Sr Member

Managed to get some progress on the the Hangar itself.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone have any suggestions on where I can find items that I can dress the walls with? Hoses, junction boxes, etc.

30. VS Tony

VS Tony New Member

Absolutely incredible!! I wish I had your skills!!

31. DS Operative

DS Operative Well-Known Member

I'll be the first to admit that I didn't expect this project to even begin, let alone progress this far. And I'm happy to eat my words!! This is going to be awesome.

Hoses = I have seen build threads by several users who are using guitar and bass strings to be used as hoses, and they are very convincing!

32. astroboy

piano strings have a wide assortment of gauges

33. seven

seven Sr Member

Thanks for the tips on the hoses. I'll have to try some out and see how they look and bend around the "Ice" columns.

Cut out the front entrance to the Hangar. I think I am going to be making the Shield Doors out of styrene
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is my first "laser cut ice" test for the walls. What do you think? I realize the white background doesn't help...:facepalm
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  34. seven

seven Sr Member

Few more angles
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally cut out the slots, that I can only assume are for camera angles, that I had forgot to cut out the first time around.
    [​IMG]

35. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

The scale of this build is impressive.:thumbsup

...most impressive.
    You knew I was gonna add that....

36. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

I think the laser cut parts are going to be cool, with stuff like this
    you cant tell until you get a bunch of them in place. Once you do
    it will talk to you a bit and you will know if you like it or not.:thumbsup

37. seven

seven Sr Member

Thanks for the comments guys :)

I got the front face of the X-Wing bays cut (currently being supported as it's not attached to anything yet)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

38. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

Very nice!

39. SteveStarkiller

looks like you might be pretty well set for references, judging from the work, but just in case you haven't seen this video, here is a ton of great behind the scenes footage compiled in one convenient location:

Building Empire, A Filmumentary By Jamie Benning

the progress is looking great by the way.

40. yuumi2891103

yuumi2891103 Sr Member

Fantastic work so far !!
    I'll keep track on this project.

41. seven

seven Sr Member

Appreciate the encouragement:) and Thanks for the the video Steve

Here are a few shots with the first layer of snow/ice. Will add more layers to give it a better look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's currently top heavy, to the bottle is there as a counter weight.

42. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

Ahhh, this is where it begins to take shape...(y)thumbsup

43. seven

seven Sr Member

Picked up some guitar strings to see how they look. I believe this string is around 1/8" dia. (.105?)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  44. DS Operative

Somebody please correct me-- if that guitar string is 1/8" diameter in 1/48 scale, that should be just over 3" diameter hose in real life? Regardless, it looks good. :thumbsup

45. seven

seven Sr Member

it would be 6" in dia. hose full scale

46. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Loving this build! Work faster. :lol

47. DS Operative

I was just poking around over at StarshipModeler.com and stumbled across some detail parts you may be interested in: They have a product called "Ugly Toob" which is a neoprene cord that is very flexible to simulate hoses and such. It comes in various diameters. They also have flexible braided sleeves that are very similar. However they're out of stock on both items for now, but you might be able to find it somewhere else.

48. seven

seven Sr Member

Thanks, I'll look around

First layer of ice on the snowspeeder side and front wall

[​IMG]

Prefect42 likes this.
  49. DaleSabers

DaleSabers Member

That is pretty cool man, can't wait for the finished work.

50. seven

seven Sr Member

Using the scrap from the X-Wing bays, I cut them up to represent the bottom visible section of the blast doors for each bay (I know, they are not too straight...)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got them glued in place, painted and added some "snow" weathering. Wish I had better reference in the two greeblies that detail the doors. To be honest, I never noticed the doors before until I started this project.