1/350 R2 Refit Enterprise > Reliant conversion kit

DonS

Heya,

Been working on this nearly 2 years now (******, has it been that long?). Started out as CAD model that took about a year of dawdling to make, followed by months and months and sanding/smoothing the 3D printed parts. Finally nearing the finish line.

Here are the majority of the kit parts, finished and ready for molding:

IMG_0126.jpg

and here is the rear section of the hull that will attach to the original kit saucer:

IMG_0128.jpg

That part is in the early stages of final finishing. Still quite a bit of filling and sanding to do.

Hope ya like it!

Most likely around $250. As to when? Man, if I make a prediction, it's gonna be wrong. By my original reckoning, it would've be done some time ago.

Dude that totally rocks! If you kit this PLEASE put me first on your list!

before you use them drop them into some RTV - Then post some progress pics! I'd love to see that.

But I will say - you're very smart not offering it or taking money until its ready to go... that path leads to the dark side. Perhaps engage a professional caster?

Thanks,
Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade,

Thanks for the interest! Unfortunately, there's quite a number of people ahead of you on the mailing list for the kit, sorry. Speaking of which, here's the link where you can join the list:

http://www.donshoko.com/reliant/index.shtml

I tried to put that in my signature but I see that I can't include links as I'm not a premium member yet. There are also a few WIP progress pics at the site.

Regarding taking money upfront: hanging around here and other boards, I've seen too many fine artists with good intentions get into a bunch of trouble taking money for deposits or for kits that don't exist yet. I have enough problems in my life without owing things I haven't yet made to people who've paid me a lot of money. Last year, I did of run of SMT Millennium Falcons (I own the masters) where I fronted the cost for the full run before selling anything. For me, that's the way to go.

Mailing list? I forgot about that...I think I'm on that if I remember correctly.

Sweet, keep us up to date I've got a PL Refit waiting bought an extra just for this occasion.

Jedi Dade,

Thanks for the interest! Unfortunately, there's quite a number of people ahead of you on the mailing list for the kit, sorry. Speaking of which, here's the link where you can join the list:

http://www.donshoko.com/reliant/index.shtml

I tried to put that in my signature but I see that I can't include links as I'm not a premium member yet. There are also a few WIP progress pics at the site.

Regarding taking money upfront: hanging around here and other boards, I've seen too many fine artists with good intentions get into a bunch of trouble taking money for deposits or for kits that don't exist yet. I have enough problems in my life without owing things I haven't yet made to people who've paid me a lot of money. Last year, I did of run of SMT Millennium Falcons (I own the masters) where I fronted the cost for the full run before selling anything. For me, that's the way to go.

You own the SMT masters for the Falcon. That is one heck of a coincidence. I was one of the people on Colin and Alfred to make that kit, and provided several kit parts for it... I think I'm one of only a handful to actually get that kit (from SMT) before the C&D. Small world.

anyway - subscribed... totally in on this!

Jedi Dade

Heh, I think more of those SMT Falcons were made than anyone realizes...I know of a bunch of people who have them, and many others have been after me to make landing gear for their kits!

Back to the Reliant: I was intending to not make a bridge for this model, that the builder would need to adapt the bridge from the Enterprise kit. I didn't like that the bottom ridge of the Enterprise bridge is molded into the piece below, which meant the builder of my kit would need to put that ridge back in, but as that's not too hard, I was going to let it be. Upon going over my references, however, I noticed there are a fair number of differences between the Enterprise and Reliant bridges. For the hell of it, I decided to see how hard it would take to make the Reliant bridge in CAD. 2 hours later, it was done and sent to the printer which is the fastest anything on this project had gone. Got the part back and cleanup is nearly done. It's been sanded out and is now soaking brake fluid to remove the first coat of primer. There are 2 tiny spots that need surface primer applied to fill holes made by the printing process then this part can go with the rest of the finished pieces.

I was wondering if you had a solution for the underside mounting points for the the nacelles on the enterprise, whereas the reliant has the mounting points on top of the nacelles. I'm sure you've got a solution but just wondering how much surgery will be involved?
Also is the torpedo bridge hollow, 2 part, or solid? Just wondering about lighting options.
Thanks for bringing this out and making it available.

I sure hope so!

Danikin, the original mounting points on the nacelles will need to be removed and filled The torpedo launcher and body will be hollow but not the bridge.

Finished up second level of filling sanding, ready to re-prime. Won't spray today as it's pretty humid. After this, there should only be very minor scratches/surface imperfections to take care of. I added a bunch of little details not on the model previously, basically a bunch of styrene chips including the ring just forward of the bridge area. Also, note the little blue light fixture domes in the rear corners...they're the the rounded ends from some paintbrushes.

Oh, and there's the new bridge.

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back