1/350 R2 Refit Enterprise > Reliant conversion kit

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by DonS, Jun 2, 2015.

1. DonS

DonS Active Member

Heya,

Been working on this nearly 2 years now (Christ, has it been that long?). Started out as CAD model that took about a year of dawdling to make, followed by months and months and sanding/smoothing the 3D printed parts. Finally nearing the finish line.

Here are the majority of the kit parts, finished and ready for molding:

IMG_0126.jpg

and here is the rear section of the hull that will attach to the original kit saucer:

IMG_0128.jpg

That part is in the early stages of final finishing. Still quite a bit of filling and sanding to do.

Hope ya like it!

Treadwell, Dart and DB537 like this.
  2. mofo77

mofo77 Well-Known Member

looks awsome,really interested in buying a set if you will be producing kits of this.:)

3. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

You have my money, how much and when?

4. DonS

DonS Active Member

Most likely around $250. As to when? Man, if I make a prediction, it's gonna be wrong. By my original reckoning, it would've be done some time ago.

5. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Dude that totally rocks! If you kit this PLEASE put me first on your list!

before you use them drop them into some RTV - Then post some progress pics! I'd love to see that.

But I will say - you're very smart not offering it or taking money until its ready to go... that path leads to the dark side. Perhaps engage a professional caster?

Thanks,
    Jedi Dade

6. DonS

DonS Active Member

That's the plan!

7. DonS

DonS Active Member

Jedi Dade,

Thanks for the interest! Unfortunately, there's quite a number of people ahead of you on the mailing list for the kit, sorry. Speaking of which, here's the link where you can join the list:

http://www.donshoko.com/reliant/index.shtml

I tried to put that in my signature but I see that I can't include links as I'm not a premium member yet. There are also a few WIP progress pics at the site.

Regarding taking money upfront: hanging around here and other boards, I've seen too many fine artists with good intentions get into a bunch of trouble taking money for deposits or for kits that don't exist yet. I have enough problems in my life without owing things I haven't yet made to people who've paid me a lot of money. Last year, I did of run of SMT Millennium Falcons (I own the masters) where I fronted the cost for the full run before selling anything. For me, that's the way to go.

32buds likes this.
  8. DonS

DonS Active Member

Yep, already approached one. Once the kit gets into a few people's hands and I get some feedback, I should be able to decide if it'll be popular enough to do a relatively large run.

9. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

Mailing list? I forgot about that...I think I'm on that if I remember correctly.

Sweet, keep us up to date I've got a PL Refit waiting bought an extra just for this occasion.

10. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

You own the SMT masters for the Falcon. That is one heck of a coincidence. I was one of the people on Colin and Alfred to make that kit, and provided several kit parts for it... I think I'm one of only a handful to actually get that kit (from SMT) before the C&D. Small world.

anyway - subscribed... totally in on this!

Jedi Dade

11. DonS

DonS Active Member

Heh, I think more of those SMT Falcons were made than anyone realizes...I know of a bunch of people who have them, and many others have been after me to make landing gear for their kits!

Back to the Reliant: I was intending to not make a bridge for this model, that the builder would need to adapt the bridge from the Enterprise kit. I didn't like that the bottom ridge of the Enterprise bridge is molded into the piece below, which meant the builder of my kit would need to put that ridge back in, but as that's not too hard, I was going to let it be. Upon going over my references, however, I noticed there are a fair number of differences between the Enterprise and Reliant bridges. For the hell of it, I decided to see how hard it would take to make the Reliant bridge in CAD. 2 hours later, it was done and sent to the printer which is the fastest anything on this project had gone. Got the part back and cleanup is nearly done. It's been sanded out and is now soaking brake fluid to remove the first coat of primer. There are 2 tiny spots that need surface primer applied to fill holes made by the printing process then this part can go with the rest of the finished pieces.

12. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

I was wondering if you had a solution for the underside mounting points for the the nacelles on the enterprise, whereas the reliant has the mounting points on top of the nacelles. I'm sure you've got a solution but just wondering how much surgery will be involved?
    Also is the torpedo bridge hollow, 2 part, or solid? Just wondering about lighting options.
    Thanks for bringing this out and making it available.

13. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Looks like a VERY fun build!

14. DonS

DonS Active Member

I sure hope so!

Danikin, the original mounting points on the nacelles will need to be removed and filled The torpedo launcher and body will be hollow but not the bridge.

15. DonS

DonS Active Member

Finished up second level of filling sanding, ready to re-prime. Won't spray today as it's pretty humid. After this, there should only be very minor scratches/surface imperfections to take care of. I added a bunch of little details not on the model previously, basically a bunch of styrene chips including the ring just forward of the bridge area. Also, note the little blue light fixture domes in the rear corners...they're the the rounded ends from some paintbrushes.

Oh, and there's the new bridge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. trooper

trooper Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

WOW!! very exciting :)

17. DonS

DonS Active Member

18. trooper

:popcorn:popcorn:popcorn

dons, your going to be one busy camper , I hope you have your resin casting shoes on :)

19. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Very much looking forward to this... Just let me know when I need to send in my $$$ :D.

Jedi Dade

20. DonS

DonS Active Member

Guess I better clean up my shop area and put things into casting mode!

21. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

:D

Jedi Dade

22. DonS

DonS Active Member

Some mold-y pics:

IMG_0145.jpg IMG_0146.JPG

Jedi Dade likes this.
  23. Aztek Dummy

Aztek Dummy Well-Known Member

James Cameron, at the bottom of the Marianas trench, is not as "down" as I am for this.

24. Simple

Simple Well-Known Member

Picked up a Big E last week for this! Can't wait to get my hands on this conversion!

C

25. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

totally awesome!

Jedi Dade

26. DaveG

DaveG Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Count me in! The Reliant has always been one of my favorites. You've done a great job on the parts. Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together.

27. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

Amazing !!!

28. DonS

DonS Active Member

Very first casting, right out of the mold. Some excess flash snapped off, but no processing done:

. IMG_0150.JPG IMG_0151.JPG IMG_0152.JPG

I'm very happy with this part...a nice hollow piece weighing about 3 ounces.

29. trooper

very nice casting !!

30. DonS

DonS Active Member

Thank you!

First few kits have been shipped and should continue to trickle out!

Also, one has been sent to JT-Graphics for use as a decal master.

brandomack likes this.
  31. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Do we have some pics of a build yet?

If it would help sales - if you send me one I'll move it to the top of my build list and take lots of pics for you :)... just to help you of course :)

Jedi Dade

32. DonS

DonS Active Member

There's a build thread on the RI:

resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=16691

Hope it;s OK to post links to another board here.

Wish I could get you one right away, not only because I'd like to see your build, but just because you want it!

33. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

I don't thinks its any kind of violation to post links... I just went through that thread over there and I'm even more excited... The gentleman doing that build is obviously a reliant guru... I'd probably not do all of the "corrections" he's doing rather build it pretty much straight as it comes with the addition of lighting. To my eye your kit is close enough that unless you're a Reliant fanatic (like him, and you) - it definitely will look the part. OK I might steal a couple of revisions from his build :)

SO looking forward to this :D

Jedi Dade

34. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

OK received the Reliant Kit - WOW its is really nice. The fit is excellent so far just pressing pieces together. The casting is very clean, just the normal amount of cleanup to do on light mold lines. hollow piping molded into the engine pylons - THANKYOU.

super nice. I haven't started it yet - just pulled it out of its extremely well packaged box and foam peanuts. I have to dig my 1/350 refit out of the stash for the saucer and engines and we're good to go.

My ONLY complaint is that it will be difficult to light the rear shuttle bay areas.... might have to get creative there :) If it were cast with that back panel/ shuttle bay doors area as its own piece that would have made things a lot easier to light... but I really can't complain - its pretty awesome. This is the model of the Reliant I've been waiting for!

If any of you are on the fence - don't be. Well worth the investment if you are any kind of Star Trek fan.

Jedi Dade

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  35. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

That's great news sir...thanks for letting us know....:D

36. DonS

DonS Active Member

Jedi Dade,

Thanks for the kind words about the kit....it REALLY makes my day when someone reports they're happy with it. :)

I have an idea about the shuttle bay area...the parts shown below are the original 3D-printed parts before assembly into the final blockhouse:

tl-pieces.jpg

What if I have these re-printed and include them in the kit as separate parts, cast in translucent resin? The kit builder could cut them to fit as desired and replace the solid-cast portions of the blockhouse with these. It would take some work to do this, but it would make lighting the alcove a snap...you'd just need to do light-blocking around the fixtures. I would send these out to people who already have the kit for just the cost of postage.

Thoughts?

37. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

That would be pretty * cool! Although I do admit - the idea of cutting off almost the entire rear of the model does give me pause :) Its also kinda like dropping the gauntlet :D

Do I have the guts to potentially completely screw this awesome kit up... Do I have the skills... Guess I'm gonna find out :D

I was looking at the rear of the kit tough and that U shape is where the "mechanical" parts on the back go... that will be a tricky cut.... one worth trying though.

Jedi Dade

38. DonS

DonS Active Member

These parts are 3D prints from i.materialise for my 1/350 U.S.S. Reliant conversion kit. Wanted to post them to show the quality of pieces you get from this company. All parts I've previously had printed were done on Objet machines in VeroWhite material. Those parts were pretty * good, done in high resolution, with an average of maybe an hour's worth of cleanup spent on each part. These were done in i.materialise's Prime Gray material and are the best 3D printed parts I've ever gotten, mainly because of the minimal cleanup time. These are nearly finished with just a few minute's work per part. Not knocking the parts I've previously received as the accuracy was terrific...but these are just as accurate and they cleaned up more quickly.

The top 2 parts are pieces already included in the kit...I need to make new molds for them. The bottom parts are for an add-on package I'm doing...these pieces will be cast in translucent resin to make it easy to light the inset light fixtures around the shuttle bays as well as the grillwork at the outer edge. The idea is to splice these pieces into the existing rear hull (you can splice in the whole parts or just cut them down to smaller bits and do what you want), paint over the areas you don't want lit, and add lights to the rear of the parts to shine through the translucent, unpainted area. Note the bays doors are open...I'm also working on a shuttle bays based on the Federation Frontiers blueprints.

IMG_0164.jpg

39. tor

tor New Member

Well this is great, it is worth the waiting time for the shuttle bays, count me in for a set!

40. CAPTAINCOX

CAPTAINCOX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dam!...now I want one to :p

41. FlyAndFight

FlyAndFight Member

I've got your Reliant conversion kit and am looking forward to getting this pieces as well.

Thanks

42. gonzman70

gonzman70 New Member

I take a set as well - great !!!

43. DonS

DonS Active Member

FINALLY got around to making the shuttle bay 3D parts (snuck them in while working on the 1701 D CAD model, posted in the Studio Scale section) and received the parts back from the printer today. As usual, the prints from i materialise are just beautiful and will require little post-processing. I'll post pics when they're primed.

stevielewis and Jediscum like this.
  44. DonS

DonS Active Member

Masters are finished and ready for molding:

They'll be cast in translucent resin for easy lighting.

Sorry for the bad pic!

bays.jpg

bays.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
    Jediscum and stevielewis like this.
  45. Nicksdad

Nicksdad Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Are there any pics of a completed model?

edge10 likes this.
  46. DonS

DonS Active Member

There are pics of a completed and lit model in the large scale Trek group on FB...but judging from the number of people that want these, most people who bought my kit have been waiting for them before continuing their builds.

Jediscum likes this.
  47. publiusr

publiusr Active Member

I seem to remember an old 1/537 Reliant kit where the saucer was raised just a bit--caled Saratoga--

48. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

totally down for a set of these :D(y)cheers

Jedi Dade

49. Eric Ardros

Eric Ardros Sr Member

Just received a set of the conversion kit parts, what can I say? Totally awesome :D So glad I got this kit!

It will be great to have this to go alongside my 1/350 PL Refit E, once I've got that one built too, lol.