1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica

BAD NEWS...

Hey gang... I just got the quote from the machine shop for 8 throttle pistons... 500 dollars... ummm... yeah... about that...

BAD NEWS...

Hey gang... I just got the quote from the machine shop for 8 throttle pistons... 500 dollars... ummm... yeah... about that...

are they file cut by hand from an caterpillar-axis? :cool

I can't believe what you've done with this, it's a dream come true, man.

I like the extra greebles, but I'd avoid pinstriping the throttle house. It does seem to the be the only thing in the whole ship that isn't pinstriped. It gets pretty greebled up by ESB though, so I say go for it.

Oh, yeah, don't forget the "What's that flashing!?" light next to the vickers light stand in!

Hi SS,

Thanks so much! This is you're doing, bro!

The housing is missing "something"... I was thinking something simple like this?

Yes? No?
Throttle01.jpg

WAIT A MINUTE... I think there is pinstriping... is it me or is that a red pinstripe going around the edge?

sw3_4001-1.jpg

sw3_5086.jpg

I like the sample you posted, nice and understated, and would look great along with a red pinstripe around the edge. I change my mind, I say go for it.

Hi Gang...

After much consideration... I'm redesigning the throttle housing to match the original... This is going to be a step by step process so just bear with me...

I removed an inch from the top of the housing - it sits a little better on the console and opens more possibilities

IMAG0565.jpg

IMAG0566.jpg

Stay Tuned!

Amazing piece, this should be in a magazine or something !!!

One man's journey to replicating the Millenium Falcon's console ...

From a galaxy far, far away ;)

Amazing piece, this should be in a magazine or something !!! One man's journey to replicating the Millenium Falcon's console ...
From a galaxy far, far away

Seriously awesome! Great work!

Thanks guys! This week has been hectic with work and other projects. I should have the throttle housing finished this weekend...

Almost there...

Creating a new base for the quad...
IMAG0585.jpg

IMAG0586.jpg

IMAG0587.jpg

IMAG0588.jpg

Tomorrow - the throttle housing... :)

Stay Tuned!

Im REALLY stuck on how to move forward with the throttle housing... So I decided to focus my efforts on the new Quad base...

IMAG0592.jpg

IMAG0591.jpg

IMAG0590.jpg

IMAG0589.jpg

Just have to add the side panel(s) and then paint...

It's another hot and humid day... So I'm calling it quits... :)

Hi Gang,

I've had ZERO luck with finding, or hearing back from, anybody who can create the throttle pistons. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Hi Gang,

I've had ZERO luck with finding, or hearing back from, anybody who can create the throttle pistons. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

You could try Treadwell’s method from post #896.

You could also modify his method by using plastic disks of the appropriate thickness cut out of plastic sheeting. You could even cut the disks out of the same thickness of plastic, just make more to build up to each element’s thickness. The important thing here is to make sure every disk has its center marked; not a problem if you used a compass to lay them out on the plastic. You can drill each disk with the same size bit that is large enough for whatever size rod you want to use. In fact, it most likely would be easier to drill the disks as they are laid out on the plastic sheets before you cut out the perimeters. It would be best to use a spur center drill bit that woodworkers use. Yes, I know…labor intensive, but plastic is easy to work with. If you are very lucky, the job can be made easier if the diameters you need match commercially available hole saws. If so, you can replace the pilot drill bit with a center spur bit of the same size (usually 1/4") so it won’t wander. Oh, and make sure you place the sheet plastic on a sacrificial scrap of wood to make it easier to drill.

Perhaps the most elegant method is to use a wood turning lathe, if you or a friend have one. The lever handles could be turned from from wood or some types of plastic. One of the handles you already have could serve as a pattern, or you could draft a working drawing with dimensions to work from. It might even be more succinct to make a full sized drawing, cutting it in half lengthwise—and using one of the halves—cut out the interior to the exterior image line leaving the paper that surrounds it to use as an actual template to lathe from. Of course, such a template should be glued to poster board or thin plastic sheet for durability, preferably before the interior of the drawing is cut out, and then use an Exacto type of knife to cut along the image line. If you use a decent hardwood, the rods could be lathed integrally with the handles. Otherwise, the handles will need to be drilled out either on the lathe (accurate) or later by hand.

Hope this makes sense and that some of it helps.

Mark

I have a lathe and mill if you need parts made . Small unimat 3 . Would love to make parts for you . all I need is drawings and I can get material . I would only charge material cost . I love doing these things in my free time

Love the stand man, great stuff,

Thank you, my friend. I'm really looking forward to painting and weathering. Not sure what the best way to weather something this big is... it's not like a 1/35 scale model... but I'll figure it out. :)

Last edited:

You could try Treadwell’s method from post #896.

You could also modify his method by using plastic disks of the appropriate thickness cut out of plastic sheeting. You could even cut the disks out of the same thickness of plastic, just make more to build up to each element’s thickness. The important thing here is to make sure every disk has its center marked; not a problem if you used a compass to lay them out on the plastic. You can drill each disk with the same size bit that is large enough for whatever size rod you want to use. In fact, it most likely would be easier to drill the disks as they are laid out on the plastic sheets before you cut out the perimeters. It would be best to use a spur center drill bit that woodworkers use. Yes, I know…labor intensive, but plastic is easy to work with. If you are very lucky, the job can be made easier if the diameters you need match commercially available hole saws. If so, you can replace the pilot drill bit with a center spur bit of the same size (usually 1/4") so it won’t wander. Oh, and make sure you place the sheet plastic on a sacrificial scrap of wood to make it easier to drill.

Perhaps the most elegant method is to use a wood turning lathe, if you or a friend have one. The lever handles could be turned from from wood or some types of plastic. One of the handles you already have could serve as a pattern, or you could draft a working drawing with dimensions to work from. It might even be more succinct to make a full sized drawing, cutting it in half lengthwise—and using one of the halves—cut out the interior to the exterior image line leaving the paper that surrounds it to use as an actual template to lathe from. Of course, such a template should be glued to poster board or thin plastic sheet for durability, preferably before the interior of the drawing is cut out, and then use an Exacto type of knife to cut along the image line. If you use a decent hardwood, the rods could be lathed integrally with the handles. Otherwise, the handles will need to be drilled out either on the lathe (accurate) or later by hand.

Hope this makes sense and that some of it helps.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the GREAT advice. Unfortunately I do not have a lathe. I was looking at them this weekend but just can't justify the expense of ONE lathe for 8 pieces. It just isn't cost effective. Especially when I can buy LEDs and buttons! :)

It looks like I might have found a solution. :)

Thanks again.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back