1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica

I have a lathe and mill if you need parts made . Small unimat 3 . Would love to make parts for you . all I need is drawings and I can get material . I would only charge material cost . I love doing these things in my free time

Hi skidoosnopro,

You're my HERO! Thank you so much for the kind offer. You're name is definately going the plaque! Just let me know what you need and I'll do my best to meet your requirements - shoot me a PM.

One question: Is it possible to tap one end to accept a 3/8-18 bolt? That way I can screw the pistons into place.

Again, thank you SO MUCH for the very generous offer to help. :)

Look forward to hearing from you!

One step closer! :)

Hi Gang,

I'm going to paint the Quad and new MF styled base and would like to achieve a simple "realistic" weathered effect to include dents, scratches, drips, oil streaks, etc... But I've never weathered anything this scale before. I'm not sure whether to use oil based can or spray paint with thinner/mineral spirits as a wash... etc????

QUESTION: Does anybody have any ideas/guidance on how to achieve a realistic weathered look? :)

Thanks!

Your enthusiasm and build abilities are an inspiration Sir. The whole shebang oozes awesome nostalgia.

Your enthusiasm and build abilities are an inspiration Sir. The whole shebang oozes awesome nostalgia.

Hi Wavey,

Thank you for the VERY kind words. :) As you notice there has been a bit of a slow down with the build. I can't seem to figure out exactly what to do with the throttle housing and I'm gearing up for the next phase of the build - the cockpit walls... :) And of course... painting the quad/base. Things should get moving along VERY soon...

Thanks again for the kind words! Stay Tuned!

Hi Gang,

GREAT NEWS! Fellow RPFer "Skidoosnopro" has graciously offered to lathe the 8 throttle pistons for both MF consoles (4 ea). This puts a HUGE fire under my butt to get that dang throttle housing finished and looking more accurate! I've decided to completely rebuid the housing to match the ESB version. :)

I can't begin to thank Skidoosnopro enough! You guys / gals rock! Everybody on this has been so gracious and helpful! :)

G

"I see you have constructed a new throttle housing. Your skills are complete. Indeed you are powerful as the Fuzzual has foreseen...."

IMAG0589.jpg
I wondered where that pool filter got to! :lol

This thing is so damn inspiring! I will HAVE to visit when you're all done and live out my nerd dreams! :D

This thing is so damn inspiring! I will HAVE to visit when you're all done and live out my nerd dreams! :D

Hi OB,

Thanks for the kind words. I've been in contact with the Huntsville Space and Rocket Center and I'm hoping to meet with them to see if they would interested in displaying the console, cockpit surround and the quad for a short time before being sent to Nashville and Chirs Lee's full scale build. They have a life size Vader and a few other props and I think these would be a great addition.

If you're in the AL/TN area, let me know!

Quick Morning Update

While the dogs were out leaving me with a shovel ready job on the back lawn... I was modifiying the trottle levers in preparation for the new throttle housing...

Enjoy!

I dont know what this piece is called but its to a "Door Closer". Can anybody identify this piece? I'll need 5 more of them.
IMAG0596.jpg

I sanded the hole a little bigger and it fit perfectly
IMAG0597.jpg

IMAG0598.jpg

Off to work...

http://www.robertbrooke.com/norton-yale-door-closer-arm-shoe-assembly.html
I dont know what this piece is called but its to a "Door Closer". Can anybody identify this piece? I'll need 5 more of them

Looks to me that it's the part from an automatic door closer that mounts to the frame, called an "Arm Shoe Assembly". Well, technically the assembly is the "shoe" with the two nuts so that part is probably just the shoe. Take a look here, from Lowe's.

Shop TELL MANUFACTURING, INC. Commercial Grade 3 Door Closer, Size 3 at Lowes.com

I found some replacement parts online, for $16 a pop here.

Last edited:

That's it! :) I never knew what they were called. 16 bucks a pop? That's pricey! I just searched Ebay with no luck.

Thanks for indentifying the part for me. At least now I know what to call it - "thing-uh-muh-bobby-thingy" just wasn't conveying the message. :)

GREAT NEWS!

Hi Gang,

Steve Starkiller just finished up and emailed the modified 3D model of the cockpit! I now have all the plans, measurements and dimensions to get started on the cockpit surround! Should be an interesting 3 day holiday weekend! :)

I'm hoping to have some kind of finished throttle housing as well.

Stay Tuned!

Last edited:

Hi Gang,

Would anybody have any of these "Arm Shoes" lying around collecting dust? If so, please let me know! :)

This is amazing! This kinda makes me want to create a custom car dash that's MF inspired.

Now to make one that has all of the buttons, switches, knobs and etc connected to a midi controller, and use it to play flight sims!

I've been following your builds here since the beginning and I check the thread daily for updates as I'm so impressed with your work. If I can make a suggestion for the throttle part, make your own. Buy some galvanized sheet metal and cut out the metal rectangles then fold them up using a bench vise. I doubt you need the angles on each end like the original and you surely don't need them to be made out of as heavy gauge metal as the original so buy lighter gauge sheet metal and cut them out with tin snips. Once the basic shape is folded, then drill the hole in the center (you don't need the other two holes). Finally, drill the two small holes inside the piece to screw it in place and your ready to add your eye bolt and it's done. Rinse, Repeat four more times and your good to go.

My two cents.

I've been following your builds here since the beginning and I check the thread daily for updates as I'm so impressed with your work. If I can make a suggestion for the throttle part, make your own. Buy some galvanized sheet metal and cut out the metal rectangles then fold them up using a bench vise. I doubt you need the angles on each end like the original and you surely don't need them to be made out of as heavy gauge metal as the original so buy lighter gauge sheet metal and cut them out with tin snips. Once the basic shape is folded, then drill the hole in the center (you don't need the other two holes). Finally, drill the two small holes inside the piece to screw it in place and your ready to add your eye bolt and it's done. Rinse, Repeat four more times and your good to go.

My two cents.

Thats actually a very good idea. I just picked up a vice and should pull it out of the box... I might give that a go over the week end - great idea!

UPDATES!!!

Hi Gang,

I was going to skin the quad base, work on the throttle housing and try to get the shell of the cockpit walls started this morning. Well... as I usually do, I went to one of the local hobby stores that ALREADY has the Christmas decorations on display when I decided to see what they had available for lighting. I stumbled across a battery powered 20 string LED pack for under 3 bucks.

THEY FIT PERFECTLY!!! CHECK IT OUT!!!!

IMAG0611.jpg

IMAG0612.jpg

IMAG0608.jpg

IMAG0609.jpg

Video to follow! I'm going to attempt to wire the entire console and I'm considering adding white lights to the rocker swicthes - still thinking on that one! :)

I am SO PUMPED!!!! LOL What I would like to do is wire all these to a plug and forego the batteries all together. HINT HINT HINT? Any help? :)

Stay Tuned!!!!! WOOHOO!!!! LOL

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back