1:1 Indiana Jones In-Progress

Ok I've completed the final mounting of the figure.

Thanks to an awesome contribution from IndyBlues, I have a great pair of Alden look-alikes.

My plan of doing a wood "foot" insert worked well, and I took the concept to the next level by adding a bolt to serve as an instep and to help prop the figure up.

Since it is top heavy, the figure wants to lean forward. So I took six-inch bolts and placed the head of the bolt in a drilled hole in the "foot", then drilled another hole in the PVC "shin" and inserted the threaded end of the bolt into the "shin" to serve as a strut and prevent further forward lean.

Check the pictures!

Wooden "foot"
Figure075.JPG

Bolt strut
Figure081.JPG

A quick shot of Pecard's leather conditioner
Figure092.JPG

Most recent comprehensive shot
Figure095.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird - they're working for me now. How about you, Brad? If not, come on down to OC, we'll pop a beer or two, and you can help me finish theis damn thing! ;)

Going to back to the topic of the hat, these are pics of Jeff Camp's C15 IJ2 with what I am thinking might be a 58 HJ.

Again - a very difficult thing to nail (not to mention subjective). At first glance (to me, in my personal opinion) the hat looks to be of the correct volume. But when you focus on where the hat rides on the head, it seems (again - to me) a little too high up off the ears, and high on the forehead.

Though as I look... man it's damn close to where it should be. Now I'm really curious what size it is!

INDY_36885.jpg

INDY_36945.jpg

Jeff, I posted these since you have already/previously made them public. Hope you're good with that. If not lemme know.

Last edited:
Just a quick update - project has NOT stalled. Been working on the bust, and elected NOT to show progress pics of the paint-up.

But I have a couple of questions...

I will be glueing on hair for the beard. I wonder - do you think it may be a good idea to draw an initial layer of whiskers with a pencil first?

Also, I haven't decided what kind of glue. Elmers is user-frienld and dries clear, but does not grab immendiatley. CA with Accelerator will grab immediately. but is difficult and can leave glue marks. Thoughts?

I will be glueing on hair for the beard. I wonder - do you think it may be a good idea to draw an initial layer of whiskers with a pencil first?

Also, I haven't decided what kind of glue. Elmers is user-frienld and dries clear, but does not grab immendiatley. CA with Accelerator will grab immediately. but is difficult and can leave glue marks. Thoughts?

Oooh good questions:

1) I would say NO to the pencil idea. I think this is where people mess Indy up. His beard is thick but very short.

2) As for the glue...not sure. I would figure Elmers is fine.

Look into flocking guns and the glue they recommend for beards. You wouldnt believe the results using a flocking gun. google it up and check it out.

George, I may have to look into that. After doign the eyebrows, I've had a taste as to how difficult the beard may be.

Y'all have been patient - here's a teaser. This has become nothing less than a pain in the a$$!

Bust333.jpg

Bust319.jpg

And he paints too! :)

I think your off to a great start. I know some are opposed to pencil marks but I think that technique worked out well with mine. (I can post a pic if you'd like - don't want to derail your thread.) It all really depends on how heavy you go. It probably also helps that we went with a really sun-tanned look, so the pencil marks aren't as prominent as it could have been.

I've seen some resin Bob Causey "Lost Boys" busts where the artist glued facial hair on and it looks exactly like that - glued on hair.

And he paints too! :)

I think your off to a great start. I know some are opposed to pencil marks but I think that technique worked out well with mine. (I can post a pic if you'd like - don't want to derail your thread.) It all really depends on how heavy you go. It probably also helps that we went with a really sun-tanned look, so the pencil marks aren't as prominent as it could have been.

I've seen some resin Bob Causey "Lost Boys" busts where the artist glued facial hair on and it looks exactly like that - glued on hair.

Simmon, please do post the Indy pic. And if you come across any pics of the Causy items with glued on hair, feel free to PM me - I'd love to see how well (or not) it worked.

The eyebrows (though they don't look like much in these pics) are actually a cut-apart and pieced-together mesh-backed mustache. It still shows some glue blemishes I need to somehow address. Sort of a pain.

Right now I'm leaning more so to the penciled-in beard...

Ofcourse when I need to show off pics I can't find them on my hard drive! :lol

Here's the only one of Indy I have available. It doesn't show off the pencil work well but I hope it sort of gives you an idea. The eyebrows were penciled in as well.

IndianaJonesbyNealTracey.jpg

Great looking Indy, Rob. It's coming along well :thumbsup.

As for the beard, I'd do some light penciling for two reasons. It'll add a dimension of depth and it'll fill in spots so you don't have to be 100% precise with the placement.

And for glue, maybe try 3M spray adhesive. Mask off what you don't want glued and spray the glue. It's tacky from the get go and has good adhesion.

Or you may want to try a 60 minute 2 part epoxy. Mix up a large batch, then use a disposable brush to brush it on in a thin layer. It's self leveling, so you won't get brush marks. Wait 15 minutes so it becomes tacky (at first, it'll be kinda gooey) and then start applying the hair.

-Fred

George, I may have to look into that. After doign the eyebrows, I've had a taste as to how difficult the beard may be.

Y'all have been patient - here's a teaser. This has become nothing less than a pain in the a$$!

Bust333.jpg

Bust319.jpg
WOW, the skin looks GREAT. Really great, like "real human skin" great.
:eek :eek:eek :eek:eek:thumbsup

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back