1:1 Indiana Jones In-Progress

Here is the stubble, eyebrows and syes I photoshopped for Rob. This gives you an idea of how on track he is!!

Bust297.jpg

Well, all... Talk is cheap... :unsure

I've been talking up a fair amount of how I intend to glue on hair for hte beard/stubble. After a couple of tests, all I've learned so far is that this may be a fantastic way to really screw up my bust.

Anybody got any good pencils I can borrow!?

PH,
Your paint job looks great man! :) There are a lot of excited people on this board rooting you on--this thing is going to be amazing when you're all done!

Does look good Rob.

Good luck on the facial hair. I know it's not easy to make it look good, but too easy to mess it up.

I too was going to suggest the flocking gun method.

Looking good!

H

Thanks guys!

And with Brad's quick-and-dirty photo shop (above), I'm thinking the penciled-on beard may be ok...

Needless to say, kudos to Howard's bust. I've said it before, but however good his stuff looks in pics, once you have it in your hands it takes on a whole new meaning of life!

Howard, I must admit - I did feel a tinge of guilt taking off some of your sculpted detail. I know I hacked it up a lot, but it's all for the greater good and final presentation.

Been working on the catepillars (eyebrows) the last couple of days. Tough stuff. They're too thick, but if I cut them back too much, the mesh underneath shows. Arg!

I have a request in for high-quality glass eyes. Once they're installed, I'll finalize the paint detail around the eyelids, and also do the eye lashes. I'm thinking the glass eyes will really help bring this to life.

Last edited:
here are a couple more fun shots. They're from a few days back, but show the paint as it really is...

I call this one Frank-N-Ford (the screws are for the wig to hook onto)

Bust290.jpg

And this one is Hairy-son Ford... (I'm here all week. Try the veal. Tip your waitress).

Bust293.jpg

I have to give you alot of credit...
this is one of the best paint ups of ford i've seen because of one prime factor.
HIS LIPS ARE NOT A DARK COLOR!!

Ford's lips have always been pretty close in color to the rest of his skin tone, this is something i've seen 'missed' time and time again in these ford paint-ups...
the reason The bust looked so good un-painted is because it was all one tone.
Fords' facial tones should vary minimally, and that is what you have done.
BRAVO!

Looking good Rob!!!!

I have no idea if this will work, but have you considered if you do use a pencil for the stubble, that you could use spray adhesive and maybe sprinkle on some colored sand or something similiar very lightly for texture?? Again, I no nothing about this, just a thought

Am I wrong, or you sanded the face where the beard should be, to "prepare" the surface for the glue?

I think the best way to go is: or paint it, or glue the hair one by one, or you will end with a mess! And I don't want to see a mess out of this project!;)

Am I wrong, or you sanded the face where the beard should be, to "prepare" the surface for the glue?

I think the best way to go is: or paint it, or glue the hair one by one, or you will end with a mess! And I don't want to see a mess out of this project!;)

Yes Ramiel, I did give him a "shave". As mentioned, I've been a bit hard on Howard's bust, but it is no reflection of the quality of the sculpt - just a reflection of my personal approach to the finished presentation.

Regarding the beard, I had an small epiphany. In gluing on the hair, my vision was to have the stubble standing up to some degree, as our beards do. That presented the challenge of how quickly the glue would "grab", and was frought with problems.

BUT...

If the stubble lays flat on the skin, I can use Elmer's glue which dries nearly invisible. While it would not provide the same degree of texture as stubble standing up a bit, it would add a tad more texture and realism than penciling...

Tests to be performed!

Looking good Rob!!!!

I have no idea if this will work, but have you considered if you do use a pencil for the stubble, that you could use spray adhesive and maybe sprinkle on some colored sand or something similiar very lightly for texture?? Again, I no nothing about this, just a thought

Thanks mate! Always good to hear your support! :cheers

Hi there Rob,

Indy is looking great! I have a few thoughts on the beard stubble. If you decide to go 2D instead of real hair, consider putting down the pencils and get yourself a stipple sponge. Used regularly by movie/theater makeup artists for just this purpose. A quick Google search will direct you to several demos of the technique. You will also (of course) want to use several shades of paint (or pencils) to create the color variations found in a beard/stubble.

My gut feeling is that you will be happier in the end with stippled paint over real hair...

It is really cool seeing your progress. Thank you for taking the time to post!

Marcus

super project archivist..looks like a lot of time and effort well spent..your a real tall guy..6'5''..almost unheard of for asians..:cool

Guys, Ford's beard is lighter than his hair, isn't it?

I think for a lot of us, our beards are darker, but I think his is lighter in color. What do you think?

Here's where this thread fringes on TMI...

Anyway, I took (my wife actualy) some close up shots of my beard, which is really quite similar to Ford's in terms of fullness. Below is an image that represents about one square inch.

It's a close-up of my own face so ye be warned!

Interesting things to note is that the whiskers -- about 100 per square inch -- are more sparse than I anticipated. Also, the don't all go in exactlythe same direction. Both of these factors lend towards the decision of gluing individual hairs.

Stubble0035_1.jpg

And Ford at about the time of Raiders...

IndyRef004.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I call it the Indiana Deckard hair cut...! ;) But you all know I don't intend to display it without the hat...

Both the sideburns and the temple hairline will be filled out with more hair.

Thanks Brad for the :thumbsup on the brows. I'm not totally happy with thembut they're passable, especially when under the hat. They were actually part of a mesh-backed mustache, cut into pieces, rotated, and pieced back together. Still a little too thick though.

Tests continue on the beard. I think it CAN be done but will take the patience of a saint, and a long time to do.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back