“Wednesday” From Tim Burton Coming To Netflix

I watch it all in two days. It was EXCELLENT!! Jenna Ortega is awesome as Wednesday!! I can't wait for a second season. I usually cringe now when I see a reboot or remake announced of something I love... so many suck and don't know or care about the source material (sometimes both) but this really felt like the Addams family characters. Can't say enough good about it.

I finished the series last night. I must confess I'd worked out the 'whodunnit' several episodes before the reveal, but it was still great fun watching the various characters work their way to the same point. I absolutely loved the whole of it, and the resolution was incredibly satisfying - yaaaayy for Enid!! ;)

I thought Jenna Ortega just went from strength to strength as the show developed, and she was surrounded by a uniformly strong cast (special shout-out to Emma Myers as the aforementioned Enid - she was the perfect counterpart to Wednesday in the developing friendship between the two girls). I've already said how good I thought Luis Guzmán and Catherine Zeta-Jones were as Gomez and Morticia, and Fred Armisen was equally good as Fester (I would have liked to have seen a bit more of him to be honest). I thought Isaac Ordonez was a great Pugsley too. And Victor Dorobantu should absolutely get an Oscar for his performance!

The supporting cast was great, and really well-written. I liked the fact that almost every character had hidden depths or wasn't quite what they seemed; even the most 'cliched' characters were written and performed to be more than usually three-dimensional, from the 'cynical sheriff' to the 'mean girl' to the 'nerd' to the 'overbearing principal'... all of them revealed themselves to be more than their superficial role. Clever stuff.

Most importantly, Tim Burton absolutely captured the essential Addams Family spirit, I thought, while extending the world of the family into new territory. I've adored the Addams Family for my whole life, since first coming across them in the original cartoons, which I have in a brilliant book collection of Charles Addams cartoons, and revisit often. I've loved (almost) every depiction of them, from the TV series to the movies to the animated films (well... perhaps not the second of the most recent ones so much). Wednesday more than met my high hopes for the latest incarnation, and I really hope there'll be another series.

It’s become the most streamed English language show on Netflix for its first seven days.

341.23 million hours. That beats Stranger Things 4 which clicked in at 335 million hours viewed.

Obviously this doesn’t equate to quality (the show is definitely quality though), but it certainly shows that it’s incredibly popular.

I’ve only had time to watch the first episode…but I had to actively talk myself out of continuing. I was like “I can do two more, get four hours of sleep, then be okay at work…I think.” Then decided 6 hours of sleep was probably a bit better. I’ll be watching 2-3 more tonight. I loved the first one.

Wednesday’s dance routine in the fourth episode was incredible. It was beautifully hilarious, which are two words I never thought I’d use together, but are the only way I feel like I can describe that sequence.

I’m really loving this show. So much fun.
My understanding is that Jenna Ortega choreographed that sequence herself. Very talented young lady.

I know this will be unpopular, as there seems to be almost nothing but praise for the show, but I was immensely disappointed.

The biggest let down was the fact that you could completely remove Wednesday Addams from the series and you'd be left with "teen supernatural drama number 34." Magical people / creatures? Check. Ancient grudge? Check. Awkward love triangle? Check. Member of love triangle put in logic-defying positions to look suspicious? Check. Outcast who learns to fit in? Check. Absolutely nothing about the show needed or depended upon the Addams property. If you can replace your main character and still have the same show, you've got a problem.

It just felt so... tired and lazy.

The show also doesn't really handle the actual Addams family very well. Part of the point and charm of the franchise is a) that the Addams family think they are the completely normal ones, and b) watching how the rest of the world reacts to them. This show makes the mistake of constantly making Wednesday the least strange character in the room. Against the framework of Nevermore, or even the city of Jericho, the Addams family aren't very ooky or kooky, and not even really all that spooky in comparison.

The weird rift / antagonism between the members of the family was also completely out of place. There's a reason that many people look to the Addams' as relationship/family goals, and almost none of that bond was present in the series. And there was just zero spark or chemistry between Gomez and Morticia, what little we wind up seeing of them. The only Addams relationships that the writers seemed to understand and get correct were the woefully brief interactions between Wednesday and Fester, and Wednesday and Pugsley.

Wednesday was often just brutally mean, not just in her attitude (which constantly made me wonder why anyone even bothered to want to try to be friends with her, let alone pursue her romantically), but even actions. There's a scene involving a pair of tasers that is almost on the level of Superman snapping Zod's neck regarding misunderstanding how to handle the character or a situation. Yes, there is a definite aspect of sadism to Wednesday, but when she's torturing Pugsley, for example, he's always a willing participant, which is part of the joke, and the opening scene with the piranhas still retains a sense of whimsey in its absurdity. The taser scene wouldn't have felt so uncomfortable had the writers been more imaginative with it -- Wednesday certainly would have been.

Having said all of that, Jenna Ortega absolutely knocked it out of the park with the material she was given. She somehow manages to even deliver painfully clumsy writing authentically and with humor (exactly how does one display "tells" during Russian Roulette, a game that is random chance and involves no bluffing?). The rest of the cast also does exceptionally well with the material. Also, I don't completely hate the show. There were definitely some fun moments and some standout moments (the "dance" had the perfect Addams Family vibe, with everyone standing around not really knowing how to react to Wednesday).

I just wish the cast and the show had all been given a more original plot and writers that better understood the property. Tim Burton was offered the chance to direct the first Addams Family movie and he turned it down. Maybe young Burton knew something that older Burton forgot about whether or not he was right for it.

I expect to get roasted for this opinion, but hey, it's mine. ;)

I’ve got to say…Christina Ricci has killed it in the last two things I’ve seen her in. In both this and Yellowjackets, she’s played a character that is both chippy and somehow sinister at the same time, and she’s done it flawlessly.

I haven’t made it to the end of this show, so I’m not sure what exactly her role in the plot truly is, but each time she’s on screen she’s giving off both good and bad vibes, which is pretty awesome.

I’ll be finishing it up tomorrow night as long as I don’t get stuck working late.

I know this will be unpopular, as there seems to be almost nothing but praise for the show, but I was immensely disappointed.

The biggest let down was the fact that you could completely remove Wednesday Addams from the series and you'd be left with "teen supernatural drama number 34." Magical people / creatures? Check. Ancient grudge? Check. Awkward love triangle? Check. Member of love triangle put in logic-defying positions to look suspicious? Check. Outcast who learns to fit in? Check. Absolutely nothing about the show needed or depended upon the Addams property. If you can replace your main character and still have the same show, you've got a problem.

It just felt so... tired and lazy.

The show also doesn't really handle the actual Addams family very well. Part of the point and charm of the franchise is a) that the Addams family think they are the completely normal ones, and b) watching how the rest of the world reacts to them. This show makes the mistake of constantly making Wednesday the least strange character in the room. Against the framework of Nevermore, or even the city of Jericho, the Addams family aren't very ooky or kooky, and not even really all that spooky in comparison.

The weird rift / antagonism between the members of the family was also completely out of place. There's a reason that many people look to the Addams' as relationship/family goals, and almost none of that bond was present in the series. And there was just zero spark or chemistry between Gomez and Morticia, what little we wind up seeing of them. The only Addams relationships that the writers seemed to understand and get correct were the woefully brief interactions between Wednesday and Fester, and Wednesday and Pugsley.

Wednesday was often just brutally mean, not just in her attitude (which constantly made me wonder why anyone even bothered to want to try to be friends with her, let alone pursue her romantically), but even actions. There's a scene involving a pair of tasers that is almost on the level of Superman snapping Zod's neck regarding misunderstanding how to handle the character or a situation. Yes, there is a definite aspect of sadism to Wednesday, but when she's torturing Pugsley, for example, he's always a willing participant, which is part of the joke, and the opening scene with the piranhas still retains a sense of whimsey in its absurdity. The taser scene wouldn't have felt so uncomfortable had the writers been more imaginative with it -- Wednesday certainly would have been.

Having said all of that, Jenna Ortega absolutely knocked it out of the park with the material she was given. She somehow manages to even deliver painfully clumsy writing authentically and with humor (exactly how does one display "tells" during Russian Roulette, a game that is random chance and involves no bluffing?). The rest of the cast also does exceptionally well with the material. Also, I don't completely hate the show. There were definitely some fun moments and some standout moments (the "dance" had the perfect Addams Family vibe, with everyone standing around not really knowing how to react to Wednesday).

I just wish the cast and the show had all been given a more original plot and writers that better understood the property. Tim Burton was offered the chance to direct the first Addams Family movie and he turned it down. Maybe young Burton knew something that older Burton forgot about whether or not he was right for it.

I expect to get roasted for this opinion, but hey, it's mine. ;)

The Addams would consider all of that as compliments. XD

Definitely better than I expected. Not Sandman level quality or anything, but solid entertainment. They took all these standard TV tropes and had a lot of fun with them. The detective story framework gave the 8 eps more of a structure than it might have otherwise.

I also liked the sets and locations a lot. It was immediately obvious that the European castley locations were real European castley locations, and not sets. And the fact they built a whole phoney town set in Romania made their little American town look totally Fakey McFakeface in that classic studio backlot kind of way. Guess it was much cheaper than using the Universal Studios courthouse square.

But it was all with a twist - it was like ESL Americana. Sure, they had American cars and light switches and flags and those hideous angled stick-on gold house numbers on buildings, but they also built houses that totally did not look like vernacular American architecture, but maybe what Eastern Europeans imagine America is like. I kind of liked that.

Acting was a bit of a mixed bag, with lots of American teen movie type stuff, but Jenna Ortega was excellent.

We binged the season this weekend. I think Jenna Ortega is doing a great job. She can do the super-subtle emotions needed for Wednesday. Most of the other main are also good. The scooby-doo style plot is fun enough to watch. As always the Addams Family gets to say things that you just can't do in any other show and there is where the comedy for me comes in.

I really dislike Fred Armisen as Uncle Fester. His entire portrayal felt wooden and phoned in. There was zero mischievousness to his character.

I also felt that Luis Guzmán didn't have the constant charm that Gomez Addams should have at all times. In most scenes he was just neutral and almost droopy looking. Catherine Zeta-Jones did make up for him in most the scenes.

We binged the season this weekend. I think Jenna Ortega is doing a great job. She can do the super-subtle emotions needed for Wednesday. Most of the other main are also good. The scooby-doo style plot is fun enough to watch. As always the Addams Family gets to say things that you just can't do in any other show and there is where the comedy for me comes in.

I really dislike Fred Armisen as Uncle Fester. His entire portrayal felt wooden and phoned in. There was zero mischievousness to his character.

I also felt that Luis Guzmán didn't have the constant charm that Gomez Addams should have at all times. In most scenes he was just neutral and almost droopy looking. Catherine Zeta-Jones did make up for him in most the scenes.
I felt the same way about the other Addams.

I actually think he did well with the material he was given. Maybe the best cast of the family members (apart from Jenna Ortega).

Last edited:
Over all, I think it was fantastically done. This is going to sound like I'm complaining; but it's frankly a far shorter list to say what I thought could have been improved, than to list the stuff I liked (eg, pretty much the whole darned show was stuff I liked).

I liked Gomez and Morticia's casting, I was less than thrilled with how they were written as kind of oblivious of their kids. One of the heartwarming things about gomez and morticia, in previous incarnations, is that they could be so absolutely preoccupied with the wellness and care of their kids. The scene where they're all traveling to the school, I would have opted for gomez to almost be unaware of morticia, and to be focused on and speaking to wednesday. When morticia would try to reassure him of things on the ride, is when he would have had a quick "smitten fest", but ultimately gone back to wednesday. same for in the prison. he would have been beating himself up over ruining wednesday's life.. Grand scheme of thing, minor nit pick; such a small part of the show.

Ending stuff:
I'm a bit bummed that wednesday kind of loses a lot of her agency in the last episode. she does all this good sleuthing, to only find out the truth through "magical power" outside of her control; along with magical "ghost just says I can save you and tell you how to beat the bad guy" sloppy writing. The "up side", is that the work she did to try and sort it out, at least laid ground work for having others that could help her at the end.

The actions of the two villains through the whole show also don't quite seem to mesh with with their stated goals. A decent amount of "the bad guys did a certain thing because that's the only way we'd have a show" writing was present. I believe this could have been handled better.

I'll say that I really enjoyed Fester. I like him as the traveling agent of chaos for the family like we got in wednesday and in the animated movie, as opposed to the "live in" vibe we get from the two original live actions. He's always put forth as a "man of the world", but the live action movies didn't quite seem to play that up (both of the live action plots revolved around fester as the core problem/catalyst, so he was more "free" in the animated movies and in wednesday to play a role like he's actually set up for in the family).

The show was a really fun ride. Over all a really well done experience; it just didn't quite maintain the same quality in the ending. Still pretty par for the course ending though; so not anything that undermines the show as a fun experience.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back