“How big can it be?” - Hellboy’s ‘Samaritan’ revolver by TipTop Workshop/Anders Pedersen

Thanks very much for sharing your build in such great detail. My kit is on order and I am more eager than ever to get started on it.

This is amazing - I'm a complete novice at anything like this.. what kind of paint did you use/recommend?
Thank you!

As far as I can remember the gun was primed with Tamiya fine surface grey primer first. Then the parts that were going to be black/gunmetal eventually were given two or three light coats of matt black acrylic from auto-paint rattlecans (Hycote brand I think). The brass and silvered brass parts were sprayed with gloss black acrylic (Hycote rattlecans again). In between each coat I gave all the surfaces a very light wet sand with fine grit sanding pads, then a quick pass with a scotchbrite scourer to make the surface as smooth as possible.

The black/gunmetal parts were then given a light airbrushed coat of Alclad II gunmetal. The brass parts (including the shell casings) were given a final polish and then I airbrushed Alcald II brass. On the hammer, which is silvered on the original prop, I gave it a brass coat followed by a VERY light coat of polished aluminum.

Once everything had cured for a few days I polished the brass parts. The black/gunmetal parts were weathered with silver and pewter Rub n Buff, applied very sparingly on the edges of the parts and around the 'dings' and damage. I used my fingers for this as well as Q-tips and wooden tooth picks for the smaller details. I also used various grades of steel wool and trace amounts of Rub n Buff to add scratches and wear in places, concentrating on places where damage would occur in real life.

The wooden grip was painted with a very loose, streaky finish using Vallejo Model Colour acrylics in a variety of shades of brown, red, ochre and yellow. Once that was dry I gave it several applications of black and Burnt Umber washes. Finally, once that was all fully dry, it got several coats of dark tinted wood wax, each coat allowed to dry and then polished with a soft cloth. This gives what I hope is the quite subtle, layered ’sheen’ that actual wood has.

The locator was painted in much the same way, but using Alclad II steel and stainless steel as well as brass.

Hope this helps!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back