Superman going emo??

You know what I would read - if they were to make an alternate DC universe where they made the Superheroes more ethnic. A mexican Green Lantern or Superman a black Batman - an asian Wonder Woman - now that might make me read a comic again.

You know what I would read - if they were to make an alternate DC universe where they made the Superheroes more ethnic. A mexican Green Lantern or Superman a black Batman - an asian Wonder Woman - now that might make me read a comic again.

Unfortunantely it would still be the SAME story we've been forced to read for the past 40 years! :unsure

There are decent artists out there now. The excesses and impossible physiques of the 90s have given way to much more realistic depictions of the human form. Ethan Van Sciver and Ivan Reis' work on Green Lantern impressed me.

Regardless, I agree that too often there is an attempt to radically shake things up that falls flat. Some shakeups work, but many don't. As with any long-running story, there are good periods and bad periods. But I agree that slavish devotion to "what's current" at the expense of the underlying material itself is a bad idea. Especially because so much of the way that happens is through some "controversial" event or costume change. When you have a writer who actively wants to disregard certain fundamental facts about the character...eh, I think that's a bad idea.

Marvel had a great approach to this back in the 70s and 80s, though: the What If...? title. Here was an environment where you could explore all manner of wacky scenarios and fan wishes. These were things like what if Elektra or Bucky had lived (before they'd resurrected them anyway, that is).

There are decent artists out there now. The excesses and impossible physiques of the 90s have given way to much more realistic depictions of the human form. Ethan Van Sciver and Ivan Reis' work on Green Lantern impressed me.

I have been reading some old comics and have gone through a bunch of Wonder Woman issues dating back to Infinite Crisis. So you get the fairly classic Perez version, then things get to look very 80's with some really weird artwork before you get into the nineties where everybody in WW suddenly is either a hypermodel or a mountain range of muscles upon muscles upon muscles (and lots of spikes, guns and pouches). By the late 90's you get computer colouring and a sudden explosion of styles, some of which are absolutely stunning.

Why isn't Geoff Johns writing and Gary Frank drawing??!

they're doing superman secret origin, which is IN. CRED. I. BLE.

serious. if you're not reading that, check it out. no one but gary frank should be drawing superman. he's set the bar.

they did that already, during one of the last crisis es when superman was travelling from alternate eart to alternate earth to get all other supermen to help him finally battle monarch. there was an african american superman among others, one even emulated dr.manhattan. it was pretty neat. story landed into a major dud, but seeing all those alternate supermen on one massive 2 page spread was pretty cool.

if you look at wonderwoman's redesign, jim lee's never drawn anyone nonasian. he's created this terrible new look, and gave her a very asian looking face.

not to mention, that green lantern can be ANYONE...even chickens named perdoo, or a mathematical equation, or a small pox virus, or an african american, or an italian, or an irishman. you read comics right? this is like, unspoken fact about the green lantern corps.

and lets just forget milestone comics, they were so bad they never actually happened, even though they're doing a fantastic job at reminding us that they did.

unless you were being facetious, then i completely missed that, and you can disregard my whole response.

Last edited:
unless you were being facetious, then i completely missed that, and you can disregard my whole response.[/QUOTE]

Not at all. I really feel like if you gave some of these heroes the trial and tribulations that come with checking in as a minority it may prove to be fertile ground for some really good stories. The Superman thing sounds pretty cool - but man, a black Batman would really be something. I've always thought Spider-man would be better played by a hispanic - with his El Santo mask and all. I used to really like books like Contest of Champions where they would grab heroes from other countries.

I agree with you about Jim Lee - he does tend to lean more toward asian features when it comes to his characters - I never really noticed before because I always moved away from his books in the 90's -- as someone else posted - the X-Men books were a mess, every story seemed to be tied to Days of Future past in some way or another. The only image book I can remember liking was Wildstar and it only lasted a few issues.

This would be cool if 1. they were doing smallville, 2. It was Smallville where lex ruled the world and Superman was with him (Like one of the episodes of the cartoon) OR if it was like when Darkside controlled him.

But as it's not, GTFO my house with that weak twilight BS.

Edit: If that offends anyone, lemme know and I'll fix it up.

they're doing superman secret origin, which is IN. CRED. I. BLE.

serious. if you're not reading that, check it out. no one but gary frank should be drawing superman. he's set the bar.

Oh Yeah right - I forgot! I get old :(

if you look at wonderwoman's redesign, jim lee's never drawn anyone nonasian. he's created this terrible new look, and gave her a very asian looking face.

Lee is also one I don't like... :thumbsdown NOT CREATIVE...

This would be cool if 1. they were doing smallville, 2. It was Smallville where lex ruled the world and Superman was with him (Like one of the episodes of the cartoon) OR if it was like when Darkside controlled him.

But as it's not, GTFO my house with that weak twilight BS.

Edit: If that offends anyone, lemme know and I'll fix it up.

Actually Twilight and Smallville have a lot in common. That's right - I SAID IT

Actually Twilight and Smallville have a lot in common. That's right - I SAID IT

I don't mind, I don't like either of them, what I meant was if they were RE-doing Smallville to make it edgy, it's a cool design, but It's not true to the original character.

Not at all. I really feel like if you gave some of these heroes the trial and tribulations that come with checking in as a minority it may prove to be fertile ground for some really good stories. The Superman thing sounds pretty cool - but man, a black Batman would really be something. I've always thought Spider-man would be better played by a hispanic - with his El Santo mask and all. I used to really like books like Contest of Champions where they would grab heroes from other countries.

i dont make it a habit of recommending anything marvel related, but accoding to this criteria i think you would enjoy Supreme Power. its the justice league, darker, set in reality and batman(called nighthawk) is african american raised during one of the most trying times to be one, and it reflects on how he views/fights crime. its an awesome weekend read and is awesome until marvel squishes that series/team into utimmate marvel and ruins it. the flash character is young, african american, poor but quickly thrown into fame and fortune and is being split between the paranoid ideals of nighthawk and the paranoid ideals of hyperion

on the same token i would recommend Irredeemable because it also features the theme of a superman archetype moving from greatest hero to greatest unmatched villain

When I get a second to enjoy for myself I'll give those a looksy - thanks

And I know I may get cooked for this but I really liked the Milestone books - well, a couple of them anyway. I liked Blood Syndicate and Icon - I never got to read Shadow Cabinet but Static was terrible and it was the one with the most success. Hardware was okay from what I read - couple of issues. I really liked the artwork in Blood Syndicate and Icon - especially when Superboy, Superman and the others were tossed into the Milestone universe -- great stuff -- well, the artwork at least.

When I get a second to enjoy for myself I'll give those a looksy - thanks

And I know I may get cooked for this but I really liked the Milestone books - well, a couple of them anyway. I liked Blood Syndicate and Icon - I never got to read Shadow Cabinet but Static was terrible and it was the one with the most success. Hardware was okay from what I read - couple of issues. I really liked the artwork - especially when Superboy, Superman and the others were tossed into the Milestone universe -- great stuff -- well, the artwork at least.

Well I looked at a few pages that people had put up on the internet and the "Superman" of this "One Earth" comic seems to be like the original Superman when He's Clark, but the moment he puts his hood on he gets this, evil, hateful personality, and he hurts people a lot quicker, for instance someone points a gun at him and he without a second thought fries him, BUT, even though he 'fried' him, the guy is covered in smoke and stuff like he was lit on fire, but aside from his gun being blown away and a slight sun-tan he's totally unharmed.

It would probably be interesting if it had been using any character other then Superman though, since Sups has always been a goody goody, he's got more of a batman mindset I think, here are some pictures if you wanna see them.

Superman-Earth-One-HC-Cover.jpg

SME1_HC-1-copy.jpg

sme1_hc-3-copy2.jpg

superman-earth-one-20100902010446310.jpg

sme1_hc-5-copy.jpg

I like the jacket, but it's really Wolverine like with the 2 red stripes on the arm, and again, it's not a good look for superman.

Yes, I said that. as Its also been said before, It will never be accepted as superman, and I agree, though I like the jacket, If I ever make it I don't think I'll show it here for fear of being Flash mobbed.

I took a look at this at the local comic shop yesterday.

Flipped it over, saw the $21.99 (CAD) price, and promptly put it back.

$22 for a single comic? Out of continuity?

I asked the manager what DC was thinking, and who would pay that for a single story, and he said that they had sold 9 already.

I'll wait to read it in reprint, eventually.

Or maybe not at all.

BTW, IGN did not like it at all.

http://comics.ign.com/articles/112/1129376p1.html

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back