Superman going emo??

I took a look at this at the local comic shop yesterday.

Flipped it over, saw the $21.99 (CAD) price, and promptly put it back.

$22 for a single comic? Out of continuity?

I asked the manager what DC was thinking, and who would pay that for a single story, and he said that they had sold 9 already.

I'll wait to read it in reprint, eventually.

Or maybe not at all.

BTW, IGN did not like it at all.

Superman: Earth One HC Review - Comics Review at IGN

and the "i didnt read the thread" award of the day goes to....

Last edited:
It's only $10 on Amazon.com

Oh, and DC has already started a second printing because they are expecting higher demand on this one.

Take this smallville inspired crap and shove it. I'm so sick of this "young hip" garbage. It's not because I'm getting older either. I didn't like the Superboy series on tv at all.

$22 for a single comic? Out of continuity?

this is why im lead to believe you didnt read the thread, because it has been discussed that it is both a single graphic novel and an alternate earth.

however it is a series of single graphic novels that will be released on a schedule about an alternate continuity(which IS continuity by dc's mutliverse). i highly suggest you go back to the first page of this thread, and read more into it, because id just be repeating myself again.

22 dollars is what you should expect to pay in canadian funds for any graphic novel. they are anywhere between 15-40 here. and often, 75.00. and even more, you'll usually see that price for a single graphic novel which story is contained in itself. WATCHMEN is 20 dollars here, how much is that in CAN?

if you just wanted to add a drop in the complaint bucket, thats ok too.

Take this smallville inspired crap and shove it. I'm so sick of this "young hip" garbage. It's not because I'm getting older either. I didn't like the Superboy series on tv at all.
YOU HATED THE GERARD CHRISTOPHER SUPERBOY SERIES? for shame! i loved that show!

Last edited:
Perhaps my intensive infographic history of Superman might be of some supplemental interest at this juncture. :sleep

superman-100622-ff.jpg

Newsarama.com : Infographic | Superman History 1938 to 2010 | Superman's Story

Ain't it Cool's review:

Thank you, DC. Even though this masterful retelling is being touted in the marketingverse as "accessible to new readers" (which it is), as a man that has followed the adventures of Superman for the past thirty years, this is the first time since I picked up that very first issue I felt such an electrical charge of elation, glee and wide-eyed wonder coursing through my body.

Yes, we've seen Superman resets countless times over the years in the form of Elseworlds, SECRET ORIGINS, and the former love of my life ALL STAR SUPERMAN. But this is different. This is not simply Superman’s famed rocket veering off course; EARTH-ONE possesses a fierce conviction to present our actual universe. And therein is the secret to its sheer power over the page.

The main DC universe (Earth-Prime) stopped being our world back in 1938. And that’s OK, it is what it is, shame on us for constantly trying to pull it back into “reality”. Comic fans are impossible to please; we ***** in clear choruses that things are becoming stale, yet turn into rabid dogs when a writer breaks from a character’s norm (c’mon, we all remember the cacophony of FU’s thrown at mullet Kent). No matter how many Crises or collapsings of canon DC throws at us, Earth-Prime can’t change; it has become a universe as real as our own that gains renewed sustenance from a perpetual return to the status quo. The current issues of “SUPERMAN walking” are a prime example of this phenomenon. How new and exciting can anything be in a world that knows at all times gods walk among us and the universe is an endless sea of sentient life and miracles? I don’t think Superman is walking out of guilt from the cancer lady or losing New Krypton; ****, I would take a stroll for a year if I knew I had to spend eternity as a thirty year old boy scout.

I’ve repeated time and again in this column that DC has needed this reset to save Superman from his eternal corn husks and awww shucks existence…and to save us readers. As much as I loved SECRET ORIGINS and ALL STAR SUPERMAN, they are still a representation and deconstruction of Earth-Prime canon; they are essentially my father and my grandfather’s Superman. SECRET ORIGINS strictly adhered to the Donnerverse. It was a world that was already ahead of our own by the time Superman appears on the scene. Lex Luthor was already building Metallo for God’s sake…there’s nobody in our world building sentient robots; the smartest robots we have are Roombas and that annoying dancing robot from Honda.

ALL STAR SUPERMAN stayed away from Donner, but again it was based firmly in a world that is not our own. A world where there are hippy space researchers and ray guns that can perform miracles. An expedition to the sun? Please, we can’t even get our **** together to get back to the moon. These were both amazing adventures, but they were firmly steeped in past fiction. EARTH-ONE represents the future of Superman, and sales figures willing, the future of how we consume comics. JMS has created a brilliant breathing world of consequence and DC is delivering this vision in epic scope. Now if you have some kind of sullen emo hatred of Superman, there are no words that will convince you to read this book. But if you love comics and more importantly want to witness the genesis of what could be the next great comic universe (with the right care and nurturing), then get ready for a trip to EARTH-ONE.

Earth-One is simply real. It is a world that was unprepared for Superman and recognizes that his existence is a new genesis for humanity. Earth-One has known nothing fantastic, it lives alone in the universe, and its inhabitants are uninspired drones living in an endless cycle of work, rinse, repeat…die. Sound familiar? Good, now you are in the right frame of mind to meet Clark Kent.

Are there tropes in this origin? Yes--it's Superman. Stop asking stupid questions. I mean you if you decided to rewrite the story of *****, at some point he would have to die and come back to life, otherwise all you would be writing is the story of a guy with a beard that likes bread. Tropes abound, but JMS elevates these tenets of the Man of Steel beyond the dated parodies they’ve become in Earth-Prime. Essentially JMS does what he does best; he delivers the “why” behind the what. There are things we can explain today that two generations ago were the stuff of science fiction. What makes Kryptonian technology so advanced? Well, it’s not “just because”, or the fact crystals not only heal old hippies, they are also the data storage device of choice by disco aliens. Instead we see Kryptonian technology rewrite what we know about nanotechnology and the sub-atomic universe. When Siegel and Shuster put the big S in tights oh so many years ago, the circus outfit worked since that's where you went to see flights of fancy. JMS takes even this small passé element and puts an explanation in place that makes more sense than any past attempts at modernizing Supe’s duds. Why did Clark end up at the Daily Planet? In our grandparents’ day it was explained with gumption and a grin, and that worked for them, that was how you selected a career back then. A wee bit of innate talent coupled with some hutzpah and — poof — you were a reporter. As any twenty-something today knows though, career paths are not that clear, especially when that twenty-something has the ability to do anything he wants. Clark becomes a reporter out of necessity instead of a shoe-horned juxtaposition to his mild-mannered personality. Hell, even Clark’s horrific use of glasses as a disguise, while still a bit silly, is explained poetically. Hide the man…not the hero.

The best reimagining in this story, though, comes straight from the heart of the origin itself…the destruction of Krypton. I would be performing a grave disservice to the creators of this book and to fans if I gave away how this all transpires in the book. I will say, though, it gives Superman a level of purpose we have never seen before and sets the stage for an epic battle in future books. It is also a direct representation of the attack fear we all felt on 9/11 -- magnified on a cosmic scale, of course.

Shane Davis delivers an absolute eye-gasm of imagery. Yes, I literally came out of my eyes at the first sight of Metropolis, a city in as much decay as every other American city. There was simply not one wasted panel in this book. Each moment and character were modernized just enough to reflect today’s world without ever bleeding into being trendy for the sake of simply being trendy (I’m looking at you on that one, Superboy circa 1993).

Now, of course Davis had some help. A large part of this fluidity can be attributed to DC’s courage in presenting SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE as an epic 128 page story. Some will balk at the $20 price tag, but to those naysayers I ask you to pull out a calculator before you start your campaign to save the floppies. Your average comic these days delivers 22 pages of actual story for about $3.00 a pop. For two extra bucks you can avoid any advertisements, wrap your hands around an indelible hardcover that seems to come alive as light refracts off the cover, and most importantly this is a TRUE 128 page story that is not hampered by being a collection of 22 page story-arcs. Let’s face it, all books these days are written with trade packaging in mind. Back in the day a trade was something special: it signified that a book sold out in such quantities that the only cost effective way to get it into readers’ hands was via the trade. These days though, the trade market is trouncing the floppies. As consumers we have voted with our wallets that we want a complete and holistic story. SUPERMAN: EARTH-ONE is that story from start to finish. It is a true representation of Freytag’s coveted pyramid, not five Herve Villechaize-size pyramids with each midget storyline wrestling to be the best exposition, the best climax and the best finale. Trades and floppies have been battling for years and both have suffered as a result; please end this pointless battle, DC, you’re our only hope.

I’ve already heard rumblings that compare EARTH-ONE to Marvel’s Ultimate line; please for the love of God stop comparing books before you read them. From day one in the Ultimate universe the world was already transformed into a science-fiction fantasy land. Spider-Man did not beget S.H.I.E.L.D. in the Ultimate universe. Humanity was already way more advanced than we are today. EARTH-ONE truly captures the “oh ****” experience we would all have if one day we turned on the television and there were reports of a man flying across the sky. As they say in the opening pages of the book, this is real.

My mind is spinning with the possibilities of EARTH-ONE’S future, not just as a story, but also as a publishing model. I can say without reservation that I would love to see an endless cycle of serialized graphic novels to start filling the shelves. It would be a win-win for the publishers and the readers. Publishers could cut their operating costs and we as readers would be spared the filler stories between great story arcs. As for EARTH-ONE itself, imagine the Green Lantern of our sector having to act as almost an undercover cop to avoid scaring the masses. Plus it would be interesting to see how the Guardians deal with the events that closed out EARTH-ONE: SUPERMAN. Imagine the Flash having to always operate at top speed, not being able to take time out to eat a freaking hamburger while in costume. Imagine a Justice League that actually came together again for a purpose as opposed to simply existing because well…there’s always been a Justice League. I implore whatever powers that be who are reading my words to care for and tend to this universe…it can become something truly extraordinary.

Now it’s time to bring on the Bat. Mr. Johns and Mr. Frank, you have your work cut out for you, gentlemen…

And again, the hoodie is not the Superman uniform for this series. You're looking at a Clark who doesn't know what he's gonna be yet. I'm not saying the book is good - I haven't read it - but I do think people are jumping on a lot of things that just aren't true regarding the series.

I'm going to give it a shot provided I can find it somewhere for less then $15

I respect the idea to an extent but I feel that it's only got a very slim chance of working.

Hey Name, if you read it before me, let me know what you think.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back