Fantasy Sorcerer Witch's Staff

nemik

Hello all, I was't sure where to post this so if it needs to be somewhere else, any help would be great.

Anyways this is an original prop made by myself for a fantasy photoshoot, the prop is for a character from a graphic novel I am writing.

The prop is mostly made from PVC with a little bit sculptural work done with smooth-on's free form sculpting putty, love this stuff by the way, if any of you are not familiar with the product it is a self curing epoxy sculpting putty that is very much like clay but it hardens plastic hard when it cures. Its also paintable obviously and sand able cartable as well.

Heat forming the PVC to the shape I want.
I wanted a very natural organic look the character is a half human half dryad tree spirit

IMG_5781.jpgIMG_5780.jpg

My Helper
IMG_5774.jpg

Ended up having to join to pieces together ran out, wasn't long enough. Also I through this stuff n my vice while I worked with it made it allot easier to handle 6 feet of material.
IMG_5787.jpgIMG_5788.jpg

I also decided to add another piece and join it together at the top and then began texturing with a rotary tool, tried to follow a lot of natural lines as well.

IMG_5802.jpgIMG_5801.jpgIMG_5800.jpgIMG_5799.jpg

Then Began the sculptural work with my putty
IMG_5811.jpgIMG_5809.jpgIMG_5810.jpgIMG_5833.jpg
IMG_5834.jpgIMG_5837.jpgIMG_5836.jpg
IMG_5843.jpgIMG_5840.jpg

added an eyeball this staff is actually supposed to be a living thing
IMG_5839.jpgIMG_5838.jpg

Painting Begins, I wish I had an airbrush but I still paint completely by hand, hope to get one next year sometime.
IMG_5872.jpgIMG_5873.jpg

I like to build up my layers of paint I think it creates a more realistic looking piece
IMG_5876.jpgIMG_5877.jpg

Last edited:
So I had a problem with the image attatchments, but anyways

The painting process continues
image.jpgimage.jpg

Took a little break from the magic stick to make some fungus.
When I first made this I wasn't sure if I was going to actually use it, but in the end it looked great so I went with it, to be honest its little things like this sometimes that can bring a piece all together and make everything connect.

I made them out craft foam, heated and shaped it then later applied it to the staff
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Painting continues once again

and the final prop finished, I want to get some studio shots when I can of it but probably not the first of the year.
at this point I had added about 5 coats of flat clear coat, but I may end up adding a few more as its going to be handled allot.

The eyeball had close to 30 coats of gloss lacquer varnish on it by the end

Hope you guys like my project and I have few more coming up soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys, I plan on making some more props soon enough.
Everyone has a talent waiting to be discovered that's unique to them

Wow. When I started reading I thought: " well that looks like pvc and when finished it will probably look like pvc". But than I scrolled down( I'm using tapatalk so I can't see a lot of post at a time) and the magic happened. You sir are a true wizard and turned pvc into wood. It isn't water into wine, but your close.

The details are amazing.

-R-

thanks I really appreciate it
I am working on a possibly a fire and and ice staff as well and I may actually setup a commission thing through my etsy store but who knows.
so thank you guys for all your warm comments, its always good to know that what you do is appreciated by others

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back