Deagostini Falcon. Anyone seen this?

Yes the 1/6 MF is impressive but I have the same feelings about it as the 1/6 TIE fighter they had at Comic Con. It looks like they have just accurately scaled up the details from the model, without adding any new details appropriate to the larger scale. So it ends up looking like a large version of the Studio Scale model, rather than a 1/6 scale version of the full size Falcon. As kokkari said, looks toyish.

The 1/6 scale interior cockpit they had on display looked gorgeous with lots of finely scaled details, at least on the inside. The outside was very plain.

Well thats ok..because when/if they finally sell it...it will be studio scaled :) So it will look awesome. I don't think anyone here actually believes this size will be sold...Look up the BATWING..they showed it off as 1/6 and it ended up being like 1/12 or something later on

Does anyone from the UK know if when deagostini state that they've sent your stuff on 'such n such' date that it's actually been posted on that date, or is the Royal Mail using old clapped out Morris minors to make deliveries?! It shouldn't take that long to send stuff up to Scotland.

Yes the 1/6 MF is impressive but I have the same feelings about it as the 1/6 TIE fighter they had at Comic Con. It looks like they have just accurately scaled up the details from the model, without adding any new details appropriate to the larger scale. So it ends up looking like a large version of the Studio Scale model, rather than a 1/6 scale version of the full size Falcon. As kokkari said, looks toyish.

The 1/6 scale interior cockpit they had on display looked gorgeous with lots of finely scaled details, at least on the inside. The outside was very plain.

Unfortunatly no they dont have just scaled up the details, the details are wy less detailed that the kitparts used on the 32" (on which it's based), the kitparts are poorly replicated, that would work for a 4 inches long MF, but that would not work for a bigger one. Even the FineMolds details are much better.

Not talking about the proportions and shape flaws, nor about the thickness of several parts (rear flaps, OMG !).

Since this is a one-off model (that's what they said) for display only, they could have put a bit more efforts to looks good since they are not limited by the moldmaking/injection process.

Unfortunatly no they dont have just scaled up the details, the details are wy less detailed that the kitparts used on the 32" (on which it's based), the kitparts are poorly replicated, that would work for a 4 inches long MF, but that would not work for a bigger one. Even the FineMolds details are much better.

Not talking about the proportions and shape flaws, nor about the thickness of several parts (rear flaps, OMG !).

Since this is a one-off model (that's what they said) for display only, they could have put a bit more efforts to looks good since they are not limited by the moldmaking/injection process.
Yea the shape of the jaw boxes and mandible angle, or lack of angle drive me crazy. It seems for something this size they could put in a better effort into the details, especially for what will probably be an astronomic asking price. It also seems like some of these companies should consult with people that have a little bit more of a clue with such an undertaking and cost to their company.

Hot Toys just wanted to throw together a cool display for a trade show, it's not like there will any made and sold, just the cockpit will be sold, though the hold would be nice to have along with the cockpit, something to show off the figure in.
hottoys hold.jpg

Probably old news now, but I was watching Spike TV (in the USA) just now and a Deagostini Falcon commercial just came on...I didn't realize they had started running adverts like that too. Popped up a 1-800 # and the www.buildmilleniumfalcon.com website as well.

Didn't know the demographic for this kit included people that watch Bar Rescue :) Cool to see, though.

Hi guys

I have a question about this model.

I like the idea of how it's built. I feel that at $60 per month it's a good way to satisfy my hobby needs, and would be money well spent.

However, I'm not very good at painting...I mean, I can lay some spray paint down with the best of them...but weathering, dry brushing, things like that seem beyond my skills.

If if I were to build something like this, would the end result with very little painting still end up looking like a fairly impressive piece, or does it lose a lot of its impressiveness if you don't do your own paint work?

Thanks!!

Hi guys

I have a question about this model.

I like the idea of how it's built. I feel that at $60 per month it's a good way to satisfy my hobby needs, and would be money well spent.

However, I'm not very good at painting...I mean, I can lay some spray paint down with the best of them...but weathering, dry brushing, things like that seem beyond my skills.

If if I were to build something like this, would the end result with very little painting still end up looking like a fairly impressive piece, or does it lose a lot of its impressiveness if you don't do your own paint work?

Thanks!!

DeAgo is going to be releasing a series of videos on YouTube that will be giving painting tips & guides.

I'm in the same boat with my skill level, but from what I've seen, I'm pretty confident I'll be happy with the results.

I don't think anyone really knows what this model will end up looking like completed since the only reference we have is the prototype that DeAgostini made or at least that's all I've seen and it was painted and weathered. I know that doesn't answer your question, but I'm a novice with absolutely no weathering skill what so ever but I'm planning on giving it a shot. I've got a little over a year and a half left to beef up my skills so I'm stocking up on all the necessary supplies so hopefully by then I'll be a skill level or two above novice :)

I would comb through various Star Wars threads on here and watch YouTube videos on weathering techniques. I've always liked fitchtenfoos Falcon painting tutorials. Then practice, practice, practice! Find a cheap model to practice on and see what techniques you like and experiment with what you like best. Don't make your Deago your first experiment, especially with the amount of money you're putting into it.

Thanks guys.

I'm not 100% sure I'll end up going with the model. I do think I'll do SOMETHING from the company, though...it may end up being a bit more than just buying something outright, but I like the ideas behind getting things sent to you regularly. Seems like a good way to make sure I'm spending only what I want to spend on my hobby budget every month.

The Falcon is right at the top of the list, though...that's for sure.

Gimpdiggity - just go for it! All of us learned by doing. There's a lot of good information on this site and elsewhere and you'll get a lot of encouragement here. The truth is it's kind of hard to mess up weathering. Most of the time the more you go back and rework a surface the better it looks. So if you do something you're not happy with just redo it.

I am a big admirer of the guys that do armor models (tanks and such) but a lot of the their very precise weather just looks too precious to me. Very controlled and planned. The Falcon is anything but that!

And don't forget, the longer you wait to subscribe, the longer it'll take to get all the parts!

I agree with DaveG. Just because you feel inadequate to the job doesn't mean you are. I myself had no skill at painting and weathering, but I am slowly gaining some control on that and I plan on getting better before it comes tome to paint this beauty. I have a couple of years to hone mt abilities and by the time I'm done I should have what I need to make a passable job on Her.

You guys are doing a good job of talking me into it...

I need to see what my bills look like this week, and if everything is as I think it should be, I may go ahead and take the plunge.

I'm really tempted by their new robot, too. I've got a bit of a fascination with robots...

You guys are doing a good job of talking me into it...

I need to see what my bills look like this week, and if everything is as I think it should be, I may go ahead and take the plunge.

I'm really tempted by their new robot, too. I've got a bit of a fascination with robots...

Id definitely consider it if I were you mate. I was just thinking of it like this, what if they decide to not make it available after the run is finished like what they do with their other kits? Not only that, but what if after the run is finished they don't have the licence to make another possible run? It's the only full model kit of it available on the market too.

If halfway through the run you decide it's not for you you'll always get your money back. Just make a few arrangements with your finances right now to do it ;)

Id definitely consider it if I were you mate. I was just thinking of it like this, what if they decide to not make it available after the run is finished like what they do with their other kits? Not only that, but what if after the run is finished they don't have the licence to make another possible run? It's the only full model kit of it available on the market too.

If halfway through the run you decide it's not for you you'll always get your money back. Just make a few arrangements with your finances right now to do it ;)

I think you're right.

One nice thing about this, is that even at $70 or whatever after shipping, I'll know that $70 (maybe $80 after paint or whatever) will basically be the budget for my "hobby money" for the month...instead of spending hundreds every month.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back