Our "Jurassic Park" cryocan - in progress...

lharles

Sr Member
Normally, I don't post threads til' I'm done, (cause' I usually get too wrapped up in the making of the thing{s} to post during), but this is being done mostly digitally SO...here's a pic o' where I'm at, (& THIS thread has some of the preliminary stuff on the same...):

attachment.php

cryostate092413.jpg

Any helpful input is welcome & appreciated... :)

Have you stocked up on the original Barbasol cans or are you planning on fabricating the outer shell?

I've got a couple of the old school Barbasol cans, (even one 11oz one). :) I'm not planning on selling them or anything though, when I've finished.

The few folks who know me/interact with me on here know that I'm not really here for that aspect o' the hobby, (although I could certainly use the cash nowadays - :$ -)...I'll leave that bit to folks who are a LOT more effective at producing those sort o' things in quantity. :D

When I'm done I do plan on making the model available to print via Shapeways, (since that's what I'll be doing, eventually - printing from there, that is). So, I guess if other folks had any degree of trust in my amateur modeling skills, they might want to make sure they have a can handy. :p

Thanks for lookin'!

Keep in mind that the ID of the shaving cream cans very from piece to piece. What might fit in one can won't necessarily fit in another. One really needs to have quite a few cans on hand to guarantee a proper fit. In other words, if you offer the product via a second party like shapeways, how will you guarantee it will fit the client's can? Some pretty tricky tolerances in the mechanism, too.

Good luck just the same. :thumbsup

Keep in mind that the ID of the shaving cream cans very from piece to piece. What might fit in one can won't necessarily fit in another. One really needs to have quite a few cans on hand to guarantee a proper fit. In other words, if you offer the product via a second party like shapeways, how will you guarantee it will fit the client's can? Some pretty tricky tolerances in the mechanism, too.

Good luck just the same. :thumbsup

I'm just going to put it out there so others can print it at the same price it costs me, if they want. :)

...then folks can futz around with it, like I'm gonna', if they want to. :D

As it is, I'm going to have to print it in pieces over the next 12-18 years so I suspect there won't be a massive rush on the final version... :lol

Also, for reference, a safe cut can opener does a fine job on an empty Barbasol can, (this was one of three sacrificial NEW version Barbasol cans I wound up getting for free, for testing)... :D

attachment.php

barbacan.jpg

{I should note that I'd already tried a hacksaw & an older version side cut can opener on this particular can, previously. :) Hence the denting & chewed up edges. First go round' with the newer opener worked flawlessly. }

Last edited:
Trying to save you some trouble here, not busting balls. That's terribly incorrect. You will not get a properly sized cryorack to fit in that can. Properly cut cans are higher (above the indent) to allow for the rack to slide in. One of those pitfalls you need to be on the lookout for. If you scale your prop from the ID of the current opening, you'll be undersized and the prop will rattle like a can of beans.

I don't really understand the appeal of wanting to offer the prop on shapeways. There's no way to QC it (proper chamfers) and it would cost a fortune in metal. Not to mention the client would have to source the additional parts, i.e., 0-ring, proper set crews, have a custom spring wound, buy the vials. Lotta work when more than a couple people offer them complete. Pretty much the main reason I never hung my drawing up there... I suspect as you get into the mechanics of the prop it will become more clear to you.

However, sometimes the fun is in the challenge so good luck just the same. As a starting point you do wanna cut that can properly though. :thumbsup

Also, for reference, a safe cut can opener does a fine job on an empty Barbasol can, (this was one of three sacrificial NEW version Barbasol cans I wound up getting for free, for testing)... :D

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=236230&d=1380136429

View attachment 236230

{I should note that I'd already tried a hacksaw & an older version side cut can opener on this particular can, previously. :) Hence the denting & chewed up edges. First go round' with the newer opener worked flawlessly. }

Last edited:
Trying to save you some trouble here, not busting balls. That's terribly incorrect. You will not get a properly sized cryorack to fit in that can. Properly cut cans are higher (above the indent) to allow for the rack to slide in. One of those pitfalls you need to be on the lookout for. If you scale your prop from the ID of the current opening, you'll be undersized and the prop will rattle like a can of beans.

I don't really understand the appeal of wanting to offer the prop on shapeways. There's no way to QC it (proper chamfers) and it would cost a fortune in metal. Not to mention the client would have to source the additional parts, i.e., 0-ring, proper set crews, have a custom spring wound, buy the vials. Lotta work when more than a couple people offer them complete. Pretty much the main reason I never hung my drawing up there... I suspect as you get into the mechanics of the prop it will become more clear to you.

However, sometimes the fun is in the challenge so good luck just the same. As a starting point you do wanna cut that can properly though. :thumbsup

That's why it was a sacrificial can. Getting the methodology down. :) Thanks for the input. I know that it's more involved than where I'm at, currently...but that's part o' the challenge.

As for the Shapeways dealio, that really is quite a long ways off, if ever. I've been 3d modeling a Magnum P.I. ring for going on two years now & have gone through several prototypes which were probably ” good enough ”...but which I wasn't satisfied with. That should give you an idea of where I'm headed. :D

Like I said, good luck with everything. Remember with regard to 3d work; just because it's drawn doesn't necessarily mean it will print properly. Moving parts and tight tolerances make for a very tricky piece of engineering.

Have fun; you've got good taste in props!

That's why it was a sacrificial can. Getting the methodology down. :) Thanks for the input. I know that it's more involved than where I'm at, currently...but that's part o' the challenge.

As for the Shapeways dealio, that really is quite a long ways off, if ever. I've been 3d modeling a Magnum P.I. ring for going on two years now & have gone through several prototypes which were probably ” good enough ”...but which I wasn't satisfied with. That should give you an idea of where I'm headed. :D

Last edited:
Like I said, good luck with everything. Remember with regard to 3d work; just because it's drawn doesn't necessarily mean it will print properly. Moving parts and tight tolerances make for a very tricky piece of engineering.

Have fun; you've got good taste in props!

Thanks for the info, again, Rylo. :) There's something to be said for your prop being the inspiration for what I'm doing. Basically, because I've got a lot more time than money, this is the route I'm going. Slow & steady.

This way I can prototype as far as virtually possible before committing to the printing & go about correcting my issues with the part movement & such - only making myself upset in the process. :D It won't even be in metal/machined in the first iteration, which I expect is several months away, at best.

My previous 3d modeling has turned out pretty well, I'm just not satisfied very easily when it comes to my own work - SO - as with the aforementioned Magnum P.I. ring, this is probably a long way from letting anyone else mess around with it.

Little video o' the finished model, pre-printing. :) The current status, as it were.

[video=vimeo;78326136]https://vimeo.com/78326136[/video]

Raw 3D print of the cryocan from "Jurassic Park". Scale looks a little off & I have to test fit the vials. Also, some of the function in the movement is off, (the print didn't include my model's spacing for some of the connections, for some reason). ...but it LOOKS pretty good. :D

cryo11-11-13.jpg

I'm gonna' see if I can make it work, as-is, for me. :) One bit arrived broken, (not visible), & for some reason the center post/vial was separated from the base, (I know THAT wasn't something I anticipated with the model), but really a successful first attempt, I think.

If nothing else it would work great as a stunt prop ;)

Agreed. :) I'm going to at least try to get it to a state where visually I'm satisfied with it. I got the print down under $90 but I can't go blowin' another chunk o' cash like that so I'm a couple months away from another go. SO, I'll make what progress I can make with what I've got. :D

Last edited:
Looking good man! Especially excited that you might make it available to just print through shapeways since I have the correct can, still has shaving crream in it though lol.

The way I see it, if you're able to get a good paint finish on it that would look great sitting next to a Barbasol can on a shelf whether it fits in properly or not. Nice job. :)

Looking good man! Especially excited that you might make it available to just print through shapeways since I have the correct can, still has shaving crream in it though lol.

I'll get it to the point of being satisfied with it, myself, before I throw it out there for others to print, but that's been my plan all along - to make it available to whoever would like to have it. :)

The way I see it, if you're able to get a good paint finish on it that would look great sitting next to a Barbasol can on a shelf whether it fits in properly or not. Nice job. :)

That's kinda' what I'm hoping. :) I've found a couple things which didn't quite work out in the initial print, (basically really small details that need to be adjusted to make it function as it should), but as far as how it looks, I'm actually pretty satisfied. Thanks. :D

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back