Our "Jurassic Park" cryocan - in progress...

Do your different levels rotate at all? it would be a pretty simple change in 3D and would make it more mechanical. Also you would be able to print them as separate pieces if you arent already. If you made a stop on the central column for the two "floaters" and added a portion to those floaters that would slide down the column until it reached its stop it would work brilliantly. If you wanted them to "lock" in all you would have to do is make a smaller lip above the floater that clips it in place. Just something to think about.

Do your different levels rotate at all? it would be a pretty simple change in 3D and would make it more mechanical. Also you would be able to print them as separate pieces if you arent already. If you made a stop on the central column for the two "floaters" and added a portion to those floaters that would slide down the column until it reached its stop it would work brilliantly. If you wanted them to "lock" in all you would have to do is make a smaller lip above the floater that clips it in place. Just something to think about.

Also, is your model printed with a hollow base? If not, it would save you a good chunk of change

It does separate & rotate. It's even got the pop-up function - generally, (that's what's not to my satisfaction, entirely, the locking/pop-up --- but it does do it). As for hollowing it out, I did do that in all the pieces, where possible. It's a total of six pieces. Should only require one screw, on the bottom. :D

I really do need to get the initial print finished in terms of texture/color/paint so that I have a better grip on how it's going to modify the behavior of the second print. Soooo, that's where I'm at now.

Thanks for the ideas, sincerely. Input is good. :)

It does separate & rotate. It's even got the pop-up function - generally, (that's what's not to my satisfaction, entirely, the locking/pop-up --- but it does do it). As for hollowing it out, I did do that in all the pieces, where possible. It's a total of six pieces. Should only require one screw, on the bottom. :D

I really do need to get the initial print finished in terms of texture/color/paint so that I have a better grip on how it's going to modify the behavior of the second print. Soooo, that's where I'm at now.

Thanks for the ideas, sincerely. Input is good. :)

What 3D program are you working with? I have a fair bit of 3D experience if you need a little help with and of the movement pieces. And well done with having it only take 1 screw to put it together very efficient lol. :D

Re: Our "Jurassic Park" cryocan - in progress...

What 3D program are you working with? I have a fair bit of 3D experience if you need a little help with and of the movement pieces. And well done with having it only take 1 screw to put it together very efficient lol. :D

I'm using Sketchup. Free & not too difficult for a dunce like me. :) The movement works as designed, surprisingly. It's the lock/disengage bit that didn't quite work as planned. I'll make video of it so folks can see, at some point.

Yeah, I wanted to make it as simple as possible -- hence the single screw. :D

- - - Updated - - -

...& - for anyone willing to do their own comparisons, any thoughts on what finish from Alclad looks about right for the model? Seems like steel would be the obvious choice but I'm curious what other folks think.

Thanks! :)

lol, Nice Job.

Did you make it SPRING-LOADED, like the movie, or did you, say, make a Threaded base, to move the Discs up/down?

lol, Nice Job.

Did you make it SPRING-LOADED, like the movie, or did you, say, make a Threaded base, to move the Discs up/down?

It will be spring-loaded, (just haven't put a spring in it yet), & the base rotates. :) I'll try to put a little video of it up somewhere soon...

Comparison of 1st prototype to 2nd. {2nd fits PERFECTLY in the hollowed out can! :D } Not a lot of progress on painting/finishing recently as we've been dealing with canine illness & injury along with the standard parenting stuff such as keeping my offspring alive & preventing them from beating each other senseless with textbooks. :)

attachment.php

2ndCRYOcomparison.jpg

Maybe you said and I missed it but where did you score the vials at?

I got mine on Ebay, from an English supplier. I say supplier rather than vendor because it's an actual company with manufacturing plants and brochures and the whole nine yards.

Maybe you said and I missed it but where did you score the vials at?

Looks superb.

Thanks! :)

From THIS thread: :)

These are the droids you're looking for; screw cap microcentrifuge tubes.

The screw capped ones seem a bit like hens teeth to find, but if you only want some for the dimensions you could pick up some of the clicky cap ones and then just alter your model accordingly. The best I could find after a quick Google was this 1000 box load of them, which is a little spendy for most people's prop budget :D

I did quite a bit o' digging & got some from an eBay auction & contacted a company that makes them & they sent me some free samples. :D

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back