Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

This is awesome news! Maybe we can finally get an Indiana Jones time warp, trans dimensional aliens, pirates movie!

;)

Really, I don't think it will be that bad.

Terry Rossio is one of the original script writers and is probably given credit since he and Ted Elliot wrote the first draft.

Response from the man himself!

Re: Pirates 5 sets sail 2015 - without Terry?

Posted by Terry on Tuesday, 15 January 2013, at 9:00 p.m., in response to Pirates 5 sets sail 2015 - without Terry?, posted by Sir Quackly on Monday, 14 January 2013, at 1:23 p.m.

>> Variety didn't specify if Nathanson will co-write the script with Terry or if
>> he rewrites Terry's script or if Terry is completely out.

You would think there would be clear and concise answers to these kind of questions. But that's not how the film business works. Gotta love Hollywood.

The problem lies largely with entertainment reporting combined with people's expectations. For example, right now, I wouldn't venture to guess whether there will be a sequel, when it might be released, or who will be involved, and here's the clue: you have to wait until there is a director involved.

Of course fans get frustrated. But I often cite Indiana Jones 4, which took quite a long time, with many announcements along the way. But until there is a director on board in a real pay or play situation, everything is speculation.

Last edited:
I think there's still hope. Now, I have liked all of the Pirates movies so far. But not equally. I know the first one was still the best by far. Since then, they have been getting progressively 'busier.' I think a lot of it has to do with what was already pointed out, there are too many supernatural things happening at once. One magical thing was good. Immortality fountains, mermaids, bottle ships, magically linked sword and ship etc is too much. A good pirate story, with one or maybe two mystical things would be great.

And the real reason they keep making movies (including a record setting $75 million to Johnny Depp) is of course because of money, but specifically it's because Disney is a corporation. They have a responsibility to the technical owners of the company to continue to be profitable. So when they have a movie concept that will make a billion dollars, they don't even have a choice, from a business standpoint. It's kinda required.

A choice whether to make a movie? No, I would argue that they don't have a choice to make A movie.

But a choice to make a bigger/busier/more-splodier movie? Yes, that they have a choice about. The Pirates films have progressively worsened with each embiggening they've received. Pare it back. Get back to basics. You can still have kickass visuals and such, but FOCUS the story. Keep it TIGHT. That was the success of the first film.

Whenever I watch Curse of the Black Pearl, I'm reminded of a Lucas Arts game... Secret of Monkey Island! Hehehe.

Ghost ship filled with cursed pirates, a damsel in distress, a young man who will do anything to save her... I'm talking about Monkey Island, though. See the similarities?

Don't get me wrong, I love POTC... Johnny Depp really made the franchise stand out with his portrayal of Capt Jack Sparrow.

I would love another POTC movie... as long as it's not like the last one. I really didn't like it that much. I loved the first two the best.

Whenever I watch Curse of the Black Pearl, I'm reminded of a Lucas Arts game... Secret of Monkey Island! Hehehe.

Ghost ship filled with cursed pirates, a damsel in distress, a young man who will do anything to save her... I'm talking about Monkey Island, though. See the similarities?

Don't get me wrong, I love POTC... Johnny Depp really made the franchise stand out with his portrayal of Capt Jack Sparrow.

I would love another POTC movie... as long as it's not like the last one. I really didn't like it that much. I loved the first two the best.

Yeah, you aren't the first to bring up those similarities. If memory serves, both Monkey Island and the POTC franchise stem from On Stranger Tides, which is a novel written in the late 80s.

...If memory serves, both Monkey Island and the POTC franchise stem from On Stranger Tides, which is a novel written in the late 80s.
The last PotC movie was loosely based on that novel, but the franchise is based (at least initially) on the ride(s) at the Disney amusement park(s). They tried the same thing with The Country Bears (based on the Country Bear jamboree attraction at Disneyland) and The Haunted Mansion (also based on the Haunted Mansion attractions at Disneyland and Disney World), but neither of those movies were particularly well received.

The last PotC movie was loosely based on that novel, but the franchise is based (at least initially) on the ride(s) at the Disney amusement park(s). They tried the same thing with The Country Bears (based on the Country Bear jamboree attraction at Disneyland) and The Haunted Mansion (also based on the Haunted Mansion attractions at Disneyland and Disney World), but neither of those movies were particularly well received.

Where's my Jungle Cruise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia movie?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back