X-Men 97 trailer

I loved the ‘90s X-men animated series very much but blinked too long to be able to purchase it on dvd.
This trailer doesn’t look too bad; I’d watch it
At least if you have Disney+ all of the episodes are there. Perhaps there will be a re-release of the DVD box set as Disney seem to be getting back into physical media releases given the previous exclusivity of the Marvel and SW shows being on the platform now getting 4k discs.

Whilst I can see why that might be a publicity problem for Disney, it isn't like he was doing anything untoward in his workplace.

HR violations take a backseat to publicity. It ought to be the other way around, but that is how it is in this business.

Did they fire Johnny Depp and shut down an entire franchise only because they thought they were doing justice by Amber Herd? Heck no. Otherwise they would have let the trial pan out before they disavowed the guy. For the same reason they jettisoned James Gunn, because of the optics of his pre-Disney Troma-era tweets. And, for the same reason, they got rid of Johnathan Majors.

I feel there was something about DeMayo that would be more bad publicity (after a string of bad publicity) for Disney, if it came out. An OnlyFans seems about right.

---
now my soapbox:

While HR violations take a backseat to publicity; publicity, in turn, takes a backseat to internal politics. John Lasseter, who was supposedly fired for "hugging" too much, was a fatal loss for PIXAR. With the acquisition by Disney, he got caught up in a move to displace key staff with actual diversity hires. On the meeting where his firing was discussed it wasn't two seconds before someone said, "Now, can we get a woman to replace him?" Lasseter was eventually replaced by Jennifer Michelle Lee as Chief Creative Officer.

John Lasseter had given us the classics (Monster's Inc, The Incredibles, Ratatouillie, WALL-E, Up, Frozen, Inside Out, Moana, Coco ... and basically all the films that made me cry). The last film to have any essence of Lasseter was Encanto. The first film with Jennifer Michelle Lee completely at the helm was Strange World then Wish...

All because of internal politics.

With the acquisition by Disney, he got caught up in a move to displace key staff with actual diversity hires.

Lassiter didn’t get “caught up in the move to displace people”, he crossed lines… and that was confirmed by a few of my female friends who worked high up in Pixar with him. They said he was very touchy and made more than a few of them feel extremely uncomfortable. That is harassment. Sexual harassment is and always will be a fireable offense, whether you are in the mail room, or you are the head of the studio. So this wasn’t a political move. They knew he was their golden boy with the magic touch when it comes to movies, so losing him would be a HUGE loss. But they did what was right.

Lassiter didn’t get “caught up in the move to displace people”, he crossed lines… and that was confirmed by a few of my female friends who worked high up in Pixar with him. They said he was very touchy and made more than a few of them feel extremely uncomfortable. That is harassment. Sexual harassment is and always will be a fireable offense, whether you are in the mail room, or you are the head of the studio. So this wasn’t a political move. They knew he was their golden boy with the magic touch when it comes to movies, so losing him would be a HUGE loss. But they did what was right.

Thanks for the second hand accounts. I am less inclined defend the man as a complete victim, now.
While I want to say that being "very touchy" and generally creepy is still a far, far cry from explicit s*xual proposition or outright s*xual assault, I can't deny it would certainly make an uncomfortable work environment for those affected - and I certainly wouldn't want to be one of those folks.

In other work settings this would be a call for mandated harassment training and possibly one or more grievance meetings. His immediate dismissal seemed a bit excessive unless there was an element of politics at play, as well. The culture within Disney has certainly changed dramatically (for better or for worse) across the board and affected more people than just Lasseter. Is that your understanding as well? I heard about senior animators who have left have described this as well. I don't know any of them personally so take it for what it is worth.

At the end of the day I am just a fan who laments the drop-off in quality storytelling and animation. I am left to question what has happened to Disney/PIXAR animation and have been looking for answers. I won't rehash my disappointment with "Lightyear", but I was really looking forward to that film after that smashing trailer. I am also dumbfounded at how a mediocre film like, "Wish", could have been released from studios that used to be so surprising, original, and characteristically breathtaking. But, if you disagree with me that storytelling and animation has taken a hit, then we might just have to agree to disagree.

I'm not just a "hater." I want to love all of Disney again.

Last edited:
Thanks for the second hand accounts. I am less inclined defend the man as a complete victim, now.
While I want to say that being "very touchy" and generally creepy is still a far, far cry from explicit s*xual proposition or outright s*xual assault, I can't deny it would certainly make an uncomfortable work environment for those affected - and I certainly wouldn't want to be one of them.

In other work settings this would be a call for mandated harassment training and possibly one or more grievance meetings. His immediate dismissal seemed a bit excessive, if there weren't an element of politics as well. The culture within Disney has certainly changed across the board and affected more people than just Lasseter. I understand senior animators who have left have described this as well. Of course, I don't know any of them personally so take it for what it is worth.

At the end of the day I am just a fan who laments the drop-off in quality storytelling and animation. I am left to question what has happened to Disney/PIXAR animation and have been looking for answers. I won't rehash my disappointment with "Lightyear", but I was really looking forward to that film after that smashing trailer. I am also dumbfounded at how a mediocre film like, "Wish", could have been released from studios that used to be so surprising, original, and characteristically breathtaking. But, if you disagree with me that storytelling and animation has taken a hit, then we might just have to agree to disagree.

I'm not just a gleeful "hater." I want to love all of Disney again.
Yes, it wasn’t sexual assault, but it was sexual harassment, and the mandatory training had already taken place. Back in the 90’s when I was an animator at Disney, we had mandatory training meetings and they clearly stated the fine lines and made sure we all knew it. They even warned us about telling a dirty joke to a buddy, and a female walking down the hall hearing it would be considered harassment if she found it offensive. So they warned us to conduct ourselves with the utmost professionalism.
And there were more allegations against John that came to light first, that didn’t lead to immediate termination, it was the continued allegations that they no longer could cover up. At that point, optics become more important. Imagine word going viral out about Disney covering it up…. It would look much worse.

I agree that the story telling and the animated movies have taken a hard hit. John was a story genius. His loss was a big blow. Plus you had the death of Joe Ranft, one of Pixar’s other great story tellers. Lassiter’s unceremonious dismissal was just the last straw.

I was going to try to watch it on Saturday morning. Kind of appropriate to watch cartoons that time anyway.
My brother and I did when we were kids, every weekend from 07:00 till Lord-knows-when; X-men, M.A.S.K., G.I.Joe, Transformers, Spider-man and his amazing friends, Birdman, the whole schmear. Mom and dad could have gone on a holiday, we were that mesmerized and occupied

I never watched the 90s X-Men or Spider-Man cartoon that much. I think I'll watch those first before getting into this new X-Men.

I think part of me thought that the animation wasn't as good as the Pryde of the X-Men cartoon. Which at the time I didn't know that many cartoons with a different style of animation were made in Japan. I still have the VHS for this special somewhere.

And of course, at the same time or perhaps a bit afterwards, I would play the Konami arcade game which had the same X-Men team and kind of similar storyline.

45059844eca1a98b82337302396e8d94.jpg

todays episode was just too much...
Loved it!
One other thing that has been great in this '97 continuation are the different hints of upcoming characters in the opening credits, each opening credits is subtly different.

Also caught a glimpse of The Watcher in the sky when the fireworks started. His subtle outline was there on the left hand side taking up about half of the sky in the frame. A nice link to the What If? wing of the animated side of the MCU.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back