Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Re: The Black Pearl and QAR to set sail to Puerto Rico for POTC 5

So wait.. where'd these ships come from? Wasn't the Pearl converted into the QAR for the fourth film? Did they make another one? Which one?

And am I gonna eventually need a whole shelf dedicated to nothing but the POTC movies?

Re: The Black Pearl/QAR to set sail to Puerto Rico for POTC 5

WAIT! There was a POTC 4?

If you're serious, yes. Fountain of Youth.

If not... ;)

The only one that was great was the first one. It had some magic. The rest aren't very good but I do find them entertaining enough to go see. Gotta love Cap'n Jack. :thumbsup

Yet another chance to hope they drop the supernatural and get back to some basic good ole' pirating...

Yet another chance to hope they drop the supernatural and get back to some basic good ole' pirating...

My issue isn't the supernatural, it's the excessive use of it. COTBP worked because there was only one gimmick (and a great one at that). DMC wasn't too bad with Davey Jones and the Kraken but suffered for other reasons. AWE had Davey Jones, The Locker, Inverting ships, Voodoo Goliath women, heart stabbing... A mess.

OST wasn't great... Actually really liked the mermaids, but a ship with a flamethrower? Come on. Ships in a bottle? Maybe in Doctor Who but not here. They had an opportunity there and blew it IMHO.

All that said I'll be seeing the next one in the theatres. :lol

To quote Barbossa (who was reciting a line from the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland), "It be too late to alter course now, mateys!" They set the mold with Curse of the Black Pearl, and now most audiences expect it. I'd like to see a good old pirate movie myself, but it won't happen with Bruckheimer at the helm.

If they stuck with the local pirate folklore, the last movie would've been great. But making Blackbeard to have some supernatural powers was a bit... mehhh!

As far as I can remember (from reading stuff when I was a kid) Blackbeard's most scary quality was lighting his beard on fire to set off canon fuses.

The first one was the best, the 2nd and 3rd movies were okay. I loved the humor in those movies. I don't know... I never found the fourth one to be on par with the first trilogy. And somehow I just found Penelope Cruz irritating for some reason. Dunno why really.

Yeah, I agree...OST is my least favorite POTC movie. However, it definitely ranks highest in my opinion, in one category...Horribly written dialogue for such a good part. I love Blackbeard's character, the costume, the look, but his dialogue is horrible. :facepalm

Depp is playing this character till his bitter end, I am sure. He is just playing it for his children :D

As far as I can remember (from reading stuff when I was a kid) Blackbeard's most scary quality was lighting his beard on fire to set off canon fuses.
Close. Blackbeard would place lighted matches (pieces of the slow-burning material that his crew used to ignite their cannons) under his hat to make himself look more terrifying. He would also dress in dark colors (sometimes wearing a long, brightly colored coat), arm himself with as many pistols as he could carry, and, of course, there was his thick black beard which covered most of his face and was often braided into pigtails. He was truly one of the first people in recorded history to know the value of self-promotion and use it to his advantage--the more fearsome he looked, the easier it was to take "prizes" (ships he intended to board and plunder) by striking fear into the hearts of their crews. The fact that most people immediately recognize his nickname nearly 300 years after his death shows just how effective his methods were, especially considering he wasn't the most successful pirate and that his career as a pirate lasted only about a year.

They did that in the first film, so they couldn't really make a big deal of it in the fourth when Blackbeard did it (although they are there if you look).

Actually Blackbeard placed fuses in his beard and lit them.
Almost every Blackbeard account I've read (and I've read quite a few) mentioned the fuses under his hat. Less than half mentioned him tying them into his beard as well, which is why I didn't include that in my above post; it may be nothing more than fable handed down through the generations, the "urban legend" of it's day.

The problem is that much of what people "know" about Blackbeard may or may not actually be true. Much of his history is anecdotal at best, and there are few verifiable facts; nobody today knows when or where he was born, or even what his real name was--commonly reported as "Edward Teach", most official documents of the time list his last name as "Thatch" (and even that may be incorrect). Regardless, all of the above merely adds to the man's mystique.

Pirates of the Caribbean 5

Filming begins this month in Puerto Rico. Ships such as Sunset (used for Black Pearl/Queen Ann's Revenge) have been brought back from Hawaii since Stranger Tides. What are your hopes for this movie? Any predictions?

One question I have is how they are going to portray both QAR and Black Pearl if they both used the same ship. Perhaps they will have to rebuild one of them.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back