Back To The Future 2015 Set (CG Model)

BlobVanDam

Sr Member
Hi!
I've mostly been a lurker here, since I'm not a physical prop builder, but inspired by SteveStarkiller's impressive CG Millennium Falcon interior build which I've been following closely, and knowing how many big (and knowledgable) BTTF fans we've got here, I thought I'd share my latest personal project to recreate the 2015 version of Courthouse Square from BTTF2, one of my favourite movie scenes of all time.
I know it's not a physical model/prop, but I figured people would appreciate it all the same. :)

So far I've got the Courthouse Mall and the Holomax cinema started-

test015.jpg

test013.jpg

test014.jpg

test012.jpg

All constructive criticism and help is very welcome, although it's currently very much a WIP, so I'm probably aware of most errors at the moment, but the ultimate goal is to get it as accurate and photorealistic as I can.

Looking great! As you say it's early days and hard to say much at this point. Just remember to bevel and fillet as needed, that will help keep the CG demons at bay.

Very cool! That set is so amazing with a tremendous amount of detail! Looking forward to your progress.

Looking great! As you say it's early days and hard to say much at this point. Just remember to bevel and fillet as needed, that will help keep the CG demons at bay.

I sure will. I refine progressively, so that is a later step once I'm completely happy that I've got the shape correct, which at the moment is still not locked in.

Very cool! That set is so amazing with a tremendous amount of detail! Looking forward to your progress.

Every time I look at a screenshot, I spot some new detail that is only seen for a brief second of screen time, that most people will never even notice. It all really helps to sell the reality of the world, even if only at a sub-conscious level. A project like this really gives you an extra level of appreciation for the love that went into creating something like this.

Only minor progress, as I've been working on a couple of other projects.

I've made a start on the Cafe '80s. I don't have good blueprints to use as a basis for this building like I do for most of the other buildings, but I think I've got it fairly accurate so far based on screenshots.

test019.jpg

test020.jpg

test021.jpg

test022.jpg

Front doorway basically done, and all of the edging stuff is done too. I've started working on the second level now. The window placements have been spaced as accurately as possible based on brick sizes. Window frames will be the next thing to go in.
Very happy with this building so far.

test034.jpg

Awesome! I modeled the original courthouse square for a game mod once. Have you thought about 3D printing a scaled model?

I'd just like to say that I would FLIP MY LID for a model kit of these buildings!!! I've always loved the 80's futuristic design used in this movie!

Awesome! I modeled the original courthouse square for a game mod once. Have you thought about 3D printing a scaled model?

The thought actually had crossed my mind, although I think it would cost a bit at any worthwhile scale. Having an accurate scale Courthouse building on display would be pretty neat though, or the Cafe '80s with full interior detail....

Top level windows and crown molding are done. Here are a couple of comparison pics.
Bottom one is a gif that toggles between photo and render. Keep in mind that it is the same building, but not from BTTF, and it's a variant on the 1955 style cafe, not the 2015 version, but it's still the same building on the backlot. That will account for the different lower level windows, and the differences with the door (the railings are lower on the Cafe '80s than on the 1955 building, and the Cafe '80s appears to have some kind of raised floor which is why mine has an extra 2" lip there).

I think I might need to raise the window heights on the second level, but the lower level is pretty accurate at the moment.

test044.jpg

test045.gif

Cafe '80s sign is basically done (although I have yet to add the reversed text on the backside). There wasn't a lot of high res reference material for the sign, but I got it about as close as I could based on what I had.

That is bloody awesome!!!
What software are you using and can I also ask what the minimum spec is to run it, please? I would love to play around with something like this....:love

That is bloody awesome!!!
What software are you using and can I also ask what the minimum spec is to run it, please? I would love to play around with something like this....:love

I'm using 3DS Max 2013. The site lists the min specs as-

Intel® Pentium® 4 1.4 GHz or equivalent AMD® processor
2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)
Graphics card with at least 512 MB of video memory (1 GB or higher recommended)

However, that's pretty expensive software to be starting off with. Google Sketchup and Blender are popular free alternatives.

I've been busy working on the Cafe '80s and am now working my way across to the alleyway where the Delorean lands, and then eventually to the Texaco building. This will be the first (and perhaps only) building that I'm creating without any blueprints at all (as I don't have any blueprints for this block, and the blueprints I do have are only for the 1955 counterparts anyway, which is an entirely different building), so it's slow work to derive some measurements. Most of this section has been built from counting bricks, and comparing relative lengths, but it's turning out pretty good so far.

Those all look amazing! You should totally 3d print these to scale and have an awesome model!!
I work mainly with AutoCad and Inventor since I primarly make part drawings.
I have access to a 3d printer so I print nearly everything that I draw and I love it.

I haven't worked on this much recently. Too many other projects running at once. I'm sure you guys understand. :lol

Here's today's progress. I started a new building, and it's come along pretty well so far, although there are still some discrepancies to sort out. After some manual translation, I worked out that the Japanese text on the left-most building apparently says "Hill Valley Jewelry". I was hoping for some kind of hidden joke, but there ya go!

Attachments

• bttf_museum01.jpg
    bttf_museum01.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 842
A bit more progress, for anyone who's interested.

I found a stash of good blueprints today that I'd somehow never found before, which helped with the placement of this building, and the angle of the far left building. Not an awful lot left to do on this little block, actually.

I also found a great top blueprint for the Cafe '80s which includes interior, so I'll probably be rebuilding parts of that to be more accurate soon.

I also got a decent blueprint for the top of the clocktower, which I'd been struggling to get perfect, so I'll be able to get that done too. It also included the interior of the clocktower from when Doc climbs up onto the roof at the end of part 1, which I will also be modelling. If it's seen in the movie, I'll be making it! :cool

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back