Back To The Future 2015 Set (CG Model)

Today's progress-

attachment.php

Welcome to the Cafe '80s, where it's always morning in America, even in the aftern-n-n-n-noon!

That's awesome, how cool would it be to get these 3D printed.

Yeah, that would be very cool. Or a computer simulation, where you can walk through Hill Valley similar to a 3D action shooter.

I love this CG model. :)

Both are planned!

I'd love to get something 3D printed, perhaps the clock tower in something like 1:100 scale (which would make it about 1ft wide), although it would probably cost a bit.

And I work a lot with a programming language called Unity, which is designed for 3D games, and it even has a browser plugin. I definitely want to make a virtual walk-through of this to bring the town to life, and include all of the different screens and videos for the Cafe '80s, the holo-shark etc.

A far off crazy pipe dream right now, but perhaps by 2015!

I've been rebuilding the entire Cafe '80s the past few days. No point showing renders of that, since it will look no different to anybody but me. :lol But just trust that it's now pretty dang accurate!

But here's progress on the interior. I didn't have blueprints for the counter, so this was entirely by eye, but I'm confident it's about as accurate as I can get it. This is the spot where Marty McFly asks for a Pepsi.

Hey, never stops me from posting. Don't you hate that though? Hours and hours of tweaking, and you go to render and realize nothing looks different... ah well, it all pays off later though.

Looking really solid, well done for doing by eye as well.

Hey, never stops me from posting. Don't you hate that though? Hours and hours of tweaking, and you go to render and realize nothing looks different... ah well, it all pays off later though.

Looking really solid, well done for doing by eye as well.

Thanks.
It's taken me a day of work to put together some basic cylinders for a counter, because I've been agonizing over literally half an inch here and there. I'm sure you've been there too with all of those buttons and switches!

But at the end of the day, we're primarily doing it for ourselves, so it has to be to a level we are happy with, even if nobody else will know the difference. :behave

And when I go and buy a giant block of land to rebuild Courthouse Square one day, I want to be sure my minions are working from 100% accurate plans.

heh heh, I hear what you're saying.

happy, for me, is not good enough. But mostly because months later I'll come back to an area and go "what #$&# put all these buttons here, this is completely wrong, what an idiot --- wait, oh yeah that was me."

The eye gets more fine-tuned as you stare at the reference pics for hours on end, and gather more material to fill in the blanks.
It's just a shame we can't learn these things before rebuilding the entire thing 3 times. :lol

It really makes me appreciate the physical model builders here who get it right the first time, without the undo button when they make a mistake. :thumbsup

Hi, sent here by user; contec. Must say this is all mind blowing stuff.amazing work you have done.

I am looking at designing and building the Pepsi bottle dispenser. He sent me here to have a look at your stuff. Is there any chance measurements could be pulled from your work. Just really for the circle where the bottle comes out from and the lipped edge.

Again amazing stuff.i will be following.

Thanks

Hi, sent here by user; contec. Must say this is all mind blowing stuff.amazing work you have done.

I am looking at designing and building the Pepsi bottle dispenser. He sent me here to have a look at your stuff. Is there any chance measurements could be pulled from your work. Just really for the circle where the bottle comes out from and the lipped edge.

Again amazing stuff.i will be following.

Thanks

I'd be more than happy to share any measurements from my project. :)

Your request has brought up an interesting dilemma though. I figured I had the counter measurements pretty close, and had the big white Pepsi logo circle at 11" diameter, with the outer circle where the lip meets the counter at 12" diameter. All of the counter measurements look correct in relation to each other, and compared to the building interior, so I figured I was on the right track.

But comparing it to the size of the Pepsi Perfect bottle, it doesn't seem to work.
The Pepsi Perfect bottle is about 8 3/4" high. Based on the size of the bottle, the circle on the "P" that the dispenser pops out of is about 3" diameter from measuring screenshots (it realistically couldn't be much smaller, since it needs to fit the Pepsi bottle within the perspex cylinder).
Since the Pepsi logo on the counter is made up primarily of circles of equal size, and basically touching, I can work out that the white logo circle would be about 15", putting the rim where it meets the counter at about 16" (the difference between the inner and outer should be bigger than that, but these are very rough calculations for now).

My rough calculations are in the attached image. I wonder what other people's thoughts are?

These are my calculations, based on your screen cap and the bottle size of 8.75 inches.

Inner circle: 15.75 inches
Outer circle: 17.5 inches
Rounded letters and the hole in the second "P": 3.25 inches

Thanks for the input, Roland!

Personally, I don't like to take measurements from screenshots as definitive until I can try them out in 3D, as perspective will add inaccuracies. There will be some foreshortening of the bottle height from perspective, plus some margin of error for measuring a smooth object with curved edges. And then we're measuring a circle with perspective on it, and comparing to smaller circles which also have perspective on them.

I'll be trying out different sets of figures in 3D (yours and mine), and seeing how they compare once I can see the figures with similar perspective to the screenshot. That angled lip can look very different at different angles, so I'd had trouble trying to gauge it from screenshots alone.

Ok, I think I'm getting close on rebuilding this now. I've gone with 15.5" for the inner diameter, and 17" for the outer diameter.
I've got the perspex cylinder at 3" diameter, and the top part of it with the graphics on it I've got at 3.25". The circles are very close to that, if not slightly smaller (there seems to be a slight border of white on the section that pops out).

So it looks like you aren't too far off at all, Roland! :thumbsup

I've made more progress in modeling the rest of the counter. Still a fair way to go before I've got the dimensions right, but I'm on the right track.

I've put in the checkered lino floor to help me with scaling. I estimated 10" squares, and upon counting the number of squares across the cafe, it turns out that figure is absolutely PERFECT (and also confirms that I've got the interior width of the rebuilt cafe perfect pretty much to the inch too, so I'm thrilled with that). So I'll be able to use that for some reliable measurements. :cool

I've also modeled a certain priceless artifact that sits in the corner. I wonder what that could be? ;)

I don't know if it helps to calculate the measurements of the room, but if they used the same room for Lou's Cafe in the first movie and if it's possible, then you might count the wooden battens on the wall. Each batten is 1 2/3 inches wide (or 3 battens = 5 inches).

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back