Subscribe
    From
    East Hanover, New Jersey, United States
    2 Weeks Ago  Dec 28, 2016, 12:02 PM - Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel) #826

I re-cut the trailer. What do you guys think? I hid the faces/identity of the crew who gets infected.

With the re-cut: We don't know the person's face with the "back burster", we don't see the spore go in the ear or the face of the person, we don't see the facehugger attach himself to that crew member and we don't see the end shower death.

Thoughts? I feel like this drastically improves the "trailers give too much away".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgqe5kW92II
  2. RPF Premium Member Soulinertia's Avatar
    From
    Colorado
    2 Weeks Ago  Dec 28, 2016, 12:09 PM - Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel) #827

Much better. I wouldn't have even shown the xeno face. Just the tail.
    From
    East Hanover, New Jersey, United States
    2 Weeks Ago  Dec 28, 2016, 12:15 PM - Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel) #828

Soulinertia said: View Post
    Much better. I wouldn't have even shown the xeno face. Just the tail.
    I almost didn't include the face but I felt like we needed to see it. I was thinking as the studio director when I made this choice. I included it only to hype the fans up so they would see an actual "Alien" is in the movie. Unlike what we got in Prometheus.
  4. Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Northern England,UK
    2 Weeks Ago  Dec 28, 2016, 2:40 PM - Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel) #829

Well the weird piano interlude in the trailer has been explained!!!
    Apparently its a conversation that David and Weyland have about mankind and the creation of synthetics, and why men seem so intent on believing in many religions that have themselves created by Gods to serve a purpose.
    Also, the "dog tags" hanging in the engineers ship seem to indicate Shaw has left them ( but it could also be that its some sort of memory card). Guess there are a few flashbacks in this, as its also pointed out that David is the only inhabitant on the planet when the Covenant lands.So Shaw is very likely long gone.
    So far I'm pretty disappointed. I'd hoped something more complex and interesting would emerge, but this is simply repeating themes that have been done to death (ha ha) in so much other sci fi.
    From
    Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
    2 Weeks Ago  Dec 31, 2016, 10:58 PM - Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel) #830

Funny you say that. I watched Blade Runner last night and it got me thinking that it would be cool if the Replicants and Alien were in the same universe.

So far Alien Covenant seems to be running the same formula as every other film in the franchise. One hero character and everyone else will die by the end in some way or another.
    At least in Prometheus some of the character died with some dignity and honor (pilots). Looks like casting Danny McBride means they don't even want the ship's captain to be likeable. And IMDb shows James Franco. Dear God. What are they thinking?
    1 Week Ago  Jan 3, 2017, 1:08 PM - Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel) #831

7. A cunning T-800 RPF Premium Member The Terminator's Avatar
    From
    Sweden
    1 Week Ago  Jan 5, 2017, 11:44 AM - Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel) #832

Make a sequel to Alien Isolation then, I'd be more excited for that than this one.
    1 Week Ago  Jan 5, 2017, 7:00 PM - Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel) #833

Man ! The va jay jay was much less obvious in the first Alien movie. Their going for in your face this time, LOL .
    1 Week Ago  Jan 9, 2017, 12:55 AM - Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel) #834

From
    San Diego
    1 Week Ago  Jan 9, 2017, 2:23 AM - Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel) #835

This might have been said already, but does anyone know who is handling the special effects make up/creature effects for this?
  11. RPF Premium Member Soulinertia's Avatar
    From
    Colorado
    1 Week Ago  Jan 9, 2017, 4:30 AM - Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel) #836

Ok, if your going to have a 100 year old ACOG on your weapon, at least look through it!
    From
    Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
    6 Days Ago  Jan 10, 2017, 2:46 PM - Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel) #837

450px-AlienCovenant-DanielswithAUGA3Promo.jpg

I find this picture disappointing. The movie is set in the future. They've developed intergalactic space travel. I feel like the weapons should look different than modern day rifles. This is nothing but a slightly modified AUG.

While the M41A was actually 3 different "real" weapons that were cobbled together, the end result was an iconic movie gun that had a very unique look.
    Funny that in Aliens, as awesome as the M41A was, it seemed to be extremely unwieldy and bulky. I feel like that's a strong contrast to what a future weapon should be. But then again, the current U.S. military is always testing weapons like the OICW that are considerably larger than what's in the current inventory, so maybe Aliens wasn't far off the mark.
  13. A cunning T-800 RPF Premium Member The Terminator's Avatar
    From
    Sweden
    6 Days Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 1:54 AM - Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel) #838

Father said: View Post
    450px-AlienCovenant-DanielswithAUGA3Promo.jpg

I find this picture disappointing. The movie is set in the future. They've developed intergalactic space travel. I feel like the weapons should look different than modern day rifles. This is nothing but a slightly modified AUG.

While the M41A was actually 3 different "real" weapons that were cobbled together, the end result was an iconic movie gun that had a very unique look.
    Funny that in Aliens, as awesome as the M41A was, it seemed to be extremely unwieldy and bulky. I feel like that's a strong contrast to what a future weapon should be. But then again, the current U.S. military is always testing weapons like the OICW that are considerably larger than what's in the current inventory, so maybe Aliens wasn't far off the mark.
    This one?

I remember that one from the video game Delta Force: Land Warrior
  14. Valiant Poultry RPF Premium Member Gimpdiggity's Avatar
    From
    Jackson, Mi
    6 Days Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 3:43 AM - Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel) #839

I guess I don't have any problem with the design of the weapons. I mean, when you think about it...firearms today are largely the same as they were years and years ago. I mean, the AK-47 began development in 1944 or something like that, and it's still a very widely used weapon. That's 70+ years.

I've always kind of been of the idea that in the future things like scope improvements and such would actually be integral to the user, not the weapon itself. Things like contact lenses, helmets, visors and such would have the targeting systems built into them so that the user could have a targeting system set up that would be their preference and it would work with every weapon they have. I know, I'm kind of getting off topic there, but that's one of the reasons I don't think too negatively about the design of weapons from things set in the future.
  15. RPF Premium Member Soulinertia's Avatar
    From
    Colorado
    5 Days Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 4:24 AM - Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel) #840

Speaking of optics. I'd like to see at least a little more proprietary design. Even something like what they did with the AK-47 in Elysium.
  16. RPF Premium Member kristen jones's Avatar
    From
    Flint, MI.
    5 Days Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 9:59 AM - Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel) #841

Gimpdiggity said: View Post
    I guess I don't have any problem with the design of the weapons. I mean, when you think about it...firearms today are largely the same as they were years and years ago. I mean, the AK-47 began development in 1944 or something like that, and it's still a very widely used weapon. That's 70+ years.

I've always kind of been of the idea that in the future things like scope improvements and such would actually be integral to the user, not the weapon itself. Things like contact lenses, helmets, visors and such would have the targeting systems built into them so that the user could have a targeting system set up that would be their preference and it would work with every weapon they have. I know, I'm kind of getting off topic there, but that's one of the reasons I don't think too negatively about the design of weapons from things set in the future.

While this may be true, FATHER's point above was that the future look of weaponry in the Alien Universe was set by Aliens (and to a lesser degree by Alien: Ressurection) and that this new look doesn't seem to square with that.
    5 Days Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 12:10 PM - Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel) #842

Yeah,,,weapon doesn't seems Sci-Fi enough.
    5 Days Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 12:56 PM - Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel) #843

That was my issue with the Battlestar Galactica remake.
    The first one spared no expense creating a universe from the ground up.
    The remake? Suits and ties and 9 millimeters.
    From
    Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
    5 Days Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 3:01 PM - Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel) #844

Axlotl said: View Post
    Yeah... using all modern firearms... and they were from other planets.

I guess I shouldn't get too spun up about sci-fi movies not having weapons that are "sci-fi enough". Look at Star Wars. I think every gun in that movie is a modified version of a WWII weapon.
  20. RPF Premium Member kristen jones's Avatar
    From
    Flint, MI.
    5 Days Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 3:45 PM - Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel) #845

I don't entirely disagree...though I do remember RDM stating that they specifically chose the look of their clothing and weaponry to be very similar to what we use so that the audience would be more inclined to think of the Capricans as Us. So at least there was a specific design motive behind that decision.

Also, that was a reboot...whereas this sequel is not.

- - - Updated - - -

Look at Star Wars. I think every gun in that movie is a modified version of a WWII weapon.
    True....but HEAVILY modified. The casual observer doesn't look at it and go "Oh... Lee Enfield, cut down..."
  21. RPF Premium Member
    5 Days Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 4:38 PM - Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel) #846

David character = poo
    black goop turning people in to zombie spacesuit types = poo
    douchbag whooha idiot ship crew = poo
    almost trying to completely replicate Ripleys character = poo
    Few visual effects that are seen that aren't CGI = pretty awesome.

will I watch it - yes, probably twice

will it be poo... sigh. Probably
    From
    Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
    5 Days Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 6:33 PM - Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel) #847

kristen jones said: View Post
    True....but HEAVILY modified. The casual observer doesn't look at it and go "Oh... Lee Enfield, cut down..."
    I'd say that's debatable. I guess it heavily depends on a viewer's level a familiarity with firearms going into the movie. Some people can immediately identify a modified Mauser, Sterling, or MG34... some not so much.

MIMIC said: View Post
    David character = poo
    black goop turning people in to zombie spacesuit types = poo
    douchbag whooha idiot ship crew = poo
    almost trying to completely replicate Ripleys character = poo
    Few visual effects that are seen that aren't CGI = pretty awesome.

will I watch it - yes, probably twice

will it be poo... sigh. Probably
    That's what's funny about Prometheus. I would almost classify it as a guilty pleasure because I can find so much fault in the movie that by definition it should be considered a bad movie. But I have lost count of how many times I've actually watched it and have no doubt the next movie will be the same.

I did like the David character though. I think he was the only redeeming thing about that movie.
    Last edited by Father; 5 Days Ago at 6:39 PM.
  23. RPF Premium Member
    5 Days Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 7:04 PM - Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel) #848

That's what's funny about Prometheus. I would almost classify it as a guilty pleasure because I can find so much fault in the movie that by definition it should be considered a bad movie. But I have lost count of how many times I've actually watched it and have no doubt the next movie will be the same.

I did like the David character though. I think he was the only redeeming thing about that movie.
    lol, yes I agree it's probably about time I watched Prometheus again and loose interest at some point through it. I just wish someone would try and make an alien horror movie again. Simple, the far future, horror, Giger style xeno.

love other droids, cant feel the sinister in David just think he's creepy at best. Well, he was a little better as just a head I guess towards the end.

I think they try too hard to please with spectacles when really we all just want to have the feces scared out of us by that monster again.
    :P
  24. Valiant Poultry RPF Premium Member Gimpdiggity's Avatar
    From
    Jackson, Mi
    5 Days Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 7:37 PM - Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel) #849

kristen jones said: View Post
    While this may be true, FATHER's point above was that the future look of weaponry in the Alien Universe was set by Aliens (and to a lesser degree by Alien: Ressurection) and that this new look doesn't seem to square with that.

Everything I've read suggests this film is set in the 2100-2105 timeframe.

"Aliens" is set in 2180-ish.

So "Covenant" is roughly as far ahead of "now" as "Aliens" is ahead of "Covenant." Going with that thinking alone, it's pretty easy to look at the weapons in "Covenant" and see things that would be on the battlefield in real life right now, considering there are things on the battlefield now that are teetering on being 70+ years old.

There's a roughly 75 year difference in the time between the films, so I think differences in firearms is completely acceptable. The "future look" set by "Aliens" is actually still in the future, timeline wise, when compared to this film.
  25. A cunning T-800 RPF Premium Member The Terminator's Avatar
    From
    Sweden
    5 Days Ago  Jan 12, 2017, 2:44 AM - Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel) #850

Caprica didn't feel like the same 'verse, at all.

Gimpdiggity said: View Post
    Everything I've read suggests this film is set in the 2100-2105 timeframe.

"Aliens" is set in 2180-ish.
    Aliens takes place in July, 2179. Alien taking place 57 years prior to that