Star Wars sequel trilogy.

_Lee_

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I had a chat with a friend today about the Star Wars sequel trilogy and we were pretty much both I agreement that the Star Wars sequel trilogy is dead and buried. I know there are some who actually like them, but I just cannot watch them again.

Furthermore, it seems as though all collectibles associated with the films are available now for next to nothing. I'm talking toys, autographs, props etc that either just don't command a good price anymore as no one wants them. The market is saturated with cheap toys etc that people seem to be trying to sell for next to nothing.

What are your thoughts? Is the ST dead and buried to be forgotten about forevermore?

I had a chat with a friend today about the Star Wars sequel trilogy and we were pretty much both I agreement that the Star Wars sequel trilogy is dead and buried. I know there are some who actually like them, but I just cannot watch them again.

Furthermore, it seems as though all collectibles associated with the films are available now for next to nothing. I'm talking toys, autographs, props etc that either just don't command a good price anymore as no one wants them. The market is saturated with cheap toys etc that people seem to be trying to sell for next to nothing.

What are your thoughts? Is the ST dead and buried to be forgotten about forevermore?

Yes.

The story, as it was, was finished horribly, so I believe it SHOULD be dead & buried.

However, at the same time, I think there are characters that could be given a good story & THEY could possibly be redeemed, but I don't think ANYTHING could or should redeem the ST.

Let’s look at their failures, shall we?

The Force Awakens
the last Jedi
The Rise of Skywalker
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith
Book of Boba Fett
Season 3 of the Mandolorian
obi Wan Kenobi
Ahsoka
Solo

This list is subjective, of course, but it seems they are just putting stuff out ASAP in hopes that they will create their next cash cow. It’s sad, really. If they don’t care why should I?

I still haven't seen the last movie. Only bits and pieces on cable.

I think Rey is ok though. And I do like that snow lightsaber fight. But I won't watch the first two movies again. And from what I've seen of the third I probably won't watch that either. Once I see it in full of course.

I'm happy with the G canon stuff, anything else doesn't interest me apart from Disneys Rogue One & Andor

It's plain to see that Disney raced in without a plan and messed it up, destroying the position that Star Wars had as the most loved & successful Sci-Fi franchise in the world

The Mandalorian started off well, but it's sadly lost its creativity, I won't be surprised that Favreau actually left the project after the finale of Series two, and his structure for the story was scrapped by studio executives who demanded that Grogu HAD to return for Series 3

If you watch the final scenes of series 2 leading into the end credit scene of 'The Book of Boba' announcement, and compare it to what we got in TBOB & Mando S3, you can see an obvious tonal shift,...which actually continued through into Ahsoka, which makes me think Favreau has taken a back seat & Filoni has taken the lead since Luke turned up & took Grogu

But going back to the Sequels, now that we can look back on them, you can clearly see that Disney does not know what Star Wars is, they had different directors attached to the films who had different visions, no clear vision on where to finish the trilogy, & with the removal of James Mangold, there was a tug of war between JJ Abrams & Rian Johnston, both undoing what the previous director had set up & in the meantime dividing the fanbase

So, I'm relatively happy, I'm happy with the beautiful films that George made, the films that changed cinema which will be remembered for centuries

J

Whether Disney "understands" SW . . . It's like asking whether Nike understands Christianity. Umm, the whole question is a bit of a mis-read.

George balanced commercial successs with artistic cred in a rare way.

The franchise is in shambles because Disney didn't prioritize the art enough.

I actually like the PT, Rogue One and Kenobi and Mando series 1 & 2 but anything else has been crap. I know Kenobi gets some hate, but it keeps the original storyline alive IMO.

To me Star Wars is about Good, Evil and Redemption.

The way they killed Luke off in TLJ was the biggest ever balls up in cinema history.

I actually like the PT, Rogue One and Kenobi and Mando series 1 & 2 but anything else has been crap. I know Kenobi gets some hate, but it keeps the original storyline alive IMO.

To me Star Wars is about Good, Evil and Redemption.

The way they killed Luke off in TLJ was the biggest ever balls up in cinema history.
I felt it was more of a double middle finger to the fanbase.

I’ll never understand why people like the boring, hands folded monk Luke. I liked Last Jedi Luke even if the movie was iffy… at least they tried something. He had some life.

Luke was the bright eyed adventure seeking Farm Boy… I’d go hide on an island too if my future was just walking around like a mannequin talking to a bald mogwai.

The prequel Jedi are boring… Asoka is boring… Luke became…. Boring

IMG_6693.jpeg

I dont know how the Sequel trilogy is going to pan out to be honest. I dont think it will age well but there are now fans of the Amazing Spiderman movies with Garfield and nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

The biggest problem with the ST is its just a terrible product. While PT is a mishmash with some highlights and alot of lows, it does try to do something new and tell an interesting story. The ST had promising characters in Finn, Rey, and Ben but they were squandered by lack of character development and bad scripts. I havent been a fan of Disney's other outputs either which seems to focus on banking on nostalgia to get views over telling a new an interesting story (Rogue One being kind of a rare exception which is kind of expanded upon with Andor but time will tell).

I do think there will be more Star Wars from Disney but will the fans enjoy it, I dont know. I do think there is a high likelihood that the ST characters will be discarded though. Rey and Ben seem to have some fans but none of the other characters seem to really get love.

Furthermore, there are definitely more Ahsoka fans than Rey fans thanks to the clone wars series and Ahsoka seems to be set to take the lead in Star Wars now that Filoni is the creative director and essentially new head honcho and will want to push his OC to the forefront, made easier with the fact that the core OT heroes are dead. The Ahsoka series has gotten good ratings on RT even with its audience score of 69% compared to other Star Wars shows and the ST seems largely forgotten in comparison. Will the ST characters make a comeback once enough time has passed and enough young girls who love Rey become teens? Maybe but the bigger question is will they even care when there are better characters on tv and movies that are more interesting and engaging than Rey?

In the short term, ST is 100% dead. Will the ST make a comeback? Nostalgia is a hell of a drug and people have praised bad movies as just being "underrated" or "overhated" which the ST could experience. I do think that with the way Star Wars is going however, the ST wont be rewritten but will be dead with that time period not touched upon as Disney continues to milk the OT time period.

I’ll never understand why people like the boring, hands folded monk Luke. I liked Last Jedi Luke even if the movie was iffy… at least they tried something. He had some life.

Luke was the bright eyed adventure seeking Farm Boy… I’d go hide on an island too if my future was just walking around like a mannequin talking to a bald mogwai.

The prequel Jedi are boring… Asoka is boring… Luke became…. Boring

View attachment 1772669
Who said they liked the "Hands folded monk Luke" ?. I agree with you, "that" Luke is boring but that wasn't my Luke. That's the Current regimes version of Luke. They ruined him in the ST and then later on they had to ruin a back story on him as well. This was all done under the same head of Lucasfilm.

My Luke Skywalker wasn't boring at all...He's exactly as you described "A bright eyed, adventure seeking farm boy" but the arc of his character progressed with trial and tragedy and a bittersweet triumph! That's where "my Luke" ends. That's not boring at all.

If we were to continue his arc he certainly wouldn't be a hands folding monk!! He wouldn't be some empty shell of a man sulking on some island in depression away from everyone avoiding the battle while everything is falling apart...That's boring and pathetic and proves that they don't know the Luke of the OT at all. Luke Skywalker has always been a man of action...even his first master at an old age was a man of action and compelled Luke into action when it meant the most. Action isn't boring. The writers and directors in this current regime are boring. That's the problem and that will ultimately be their undoing.

I bought Luke in Last Jedi cuz that’s life…even the best of us can spiral. And it’s interesting that he did. Luke was the only thing I liked about that movie.

I was even all in on the idea floating around that we were gonna see that Luke got sucked into the dark side from that moment he attacked Vader in Jedi… and in the force awakens he’d be a dark Jedi Rey had to bring back…

All that said I would have preferred a version where we saw them all together… and things weren’t terrible… I just get what they were going for and thought it interesting

The way they’re now leaning into boring Jedi drives me nuts. Filoni is just terrible… seems like a good fun guy, I just wish his shows felt that way!

Only Andor “understood the assignment”

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back