NIKE, you can go to hell. I'm making my own NIKE MAG's *NEW LED's* 12-21 pg.21

Jedifyfe

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
As we all know NIKE screwed the pooch with the release of the NIKE MAG's.

I own a pair of Markpoon's replicas and though they are AMAZING for the price, I want to accuratize them.

I have another pair coming in the next week or so. I will remove the entire upper of the shoe and start there.

So I ventured downtown LA to the Fashion Disctrict and found a pretty darn close fabric for the upper.

I don't know the name and neither did the wholeseller that I bought it from (he didn't speak English very well). It is pretty thick but stretchy. I know it is a polyester spandex. It was only $4 per yard!!! I am dying it right now with Rit Dye (Grey Pearl and Teal). The trick will be to get the color just right.

IMG_0158-1.jpg

Oh, I also found the correct white leather type material for the Swoosh and top area as well as the elastic bands.

Here is my first attempt at dying it. I think it looks damn good! It's still drying so it might lighten up a bit more.

IMG_0208.jpg

Last edited:
Re: NIKE, you can go to hell. I'm making my own NIKE MAG's

Wait, a seller in the garment district that doesn't speak english?
Preposterous!

Brad, your subject title of this thread is awesome. I agree 100% :thumbsup

Be sure to carefully document the whole conversion. I'm sure there are a few other guys wanting to make changes to thier shoes...

Be sure to carefully document the whole conversion.

For sure.

The first thing I will be doing is figuring out the "structure" to the shoe. I have an idea of how to do it.

I'll be testing some ideas in the next few days.

Anyone who is interested in sewing this , contact me.

I'll also see if I can install the lights and EL sheet myself. I will be repainting the bottom part to make the "splatter" look.

I resemble that remark! (re: the title of the thread)

Good luck Brad - lots of pics!

I don't know if it's of any help, but you could achieve the spatter effect on the bottom of the shoes, by using a regular gravity feed touch up spray gun ( or airbrush ). Just figure out the exact colors, then turn the gun ( or airbrush ) pressure down really low, until it starts to spit! Then apply paint!

There are other ways, but with the right gun setup, you can get a more consistent look.

I thought the Nike MAGs would have REAL power laces like in the BTTF movie, or am I mistaken? don't be so quick to shoot it down, i'm not so sure it's purely cosmetic.

EDIT: oh turns out no, that was false advertising (perfect replicas lmao) and I saw what some auctions ended at... yeah I wanna hear where u can get these other replicas u mentioned. Nike can **** off. If you're making, i'm buying. There are people out there making power laces prototypes tho, should look into that too, that'd be totally bawss otherwise I can incorporate it

Last edited:

Brad - can you work on a run of T-Shirts that quote the title of this thread?? Hahaha!!

I did this in 15 minutes. A kind of "proof of concept" if you will.

The direction of the fabrics not correct and the shape is only a begining form that I did by eye.

This will need more tweeking but you get the idea:

Img_0209.jpg

Img_0211.jpg

Img_0212.jpg

Img_0213.jpg

Holy S! That does look really good. You say that took 15 minutes? Should be able to do the rest of the shoe in a few hours then. I'll be looking for the pics later tonight... :)

Brad

That looks brilliant. Love the thread title too.

I'd see if it's possible to thermoform that foam sheet. Perhaps even going so far as to sculpt/cast a buck for each foot to form the foam around. You can then do the shoe upper body in two parts - the front toe beginning at the first powerlace ridge. and then a single wrap around part for the other laces and the back. You can then cover the seam between the two parts with a thinner foam which will give you the shape of the laces under the spandex (or even the elastic laces themselves. That foam will easily stick together with superglue so I doubt they would ever come apart once you get them joined.

Thanks guys. Yes I think thermaforming will be the way to go Gary, thanks for the phone call.

I plan on really taking my time on this and finding someone to sew the shoe where it needs it. I also plan on installing the LEDs and EL sheet.

Dude, the phrase is "Screwed the Pooch". Geez....

Great job.

We can make our own, I'm glad NIKE did something for CHARITY.

Face it, the big company would never make them right anyway.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back