Vacformed Warhammer 40k Space Marine Armor - NEW SUIT DONE Pics on p.17

Re: Vacformed Warhammer 40k Space Marine Armor

Frakking amazing work man!! Always looking forward to seeing updates here.

That chainsaw is badass! Just out of curiosity, what do you do with all your old props? You seem to always be working on something so I imagine you run out of space quickly!

I have a stockpile of pieces and parts stored for whenever I have a place to display them again. I am starting to run out of space though. The Space Marines are probably going to end up standing in formation in the back field at my folks place or something...

For now, the chainswords are done:

They're still huge:

But I'm happy with them:

Here's a closeup shot showing the finish on the teeth:

Here's an earlier shot showing some of the finalized details on the hilt a little earlier in the painting process:

Here's Erin showing off the bulk of this beast:

While the last bits of painting the chainswords took up a lot of my time today, I also went ahead and made the molds for the wings on the chest. Here's the right side prepped for molding:

Here's the silicone print coat poured on:

Once the print coat had set up, I layered on some brushable (pink) silicone:

The last step was to pour on a smoothing layer of pourable (purple) silicone to hold it all together:

Tomorrow I'll start sculpting the neck parts. I've ordered the rubber to make them, so I really ought to get to work.

The swords finished up great. As you did them in Blood Angles red have you decided on your chapter for the full suit now ?

If you are runing out of space i'm sure we could help you clean up a bit ;)

As you did them in Blood Angles red have you decided on your chapter for the full suit now ?

There's lots of chapters that have their weapons picked out in red. I still don't have to decide...

Blood for the blood god! Sorry, that happens from time to time. Carry on.

nice work as always. Those chainswords look like you can swing them around a bit, not to heavy for someone to carry for a bit.

Watching you progress pics being posted as such a rapid rate makes me feel like some kind of slow moving sloth or something!

good job dude I check this thread everyday!

Dude your builds are epic! The chain sword cracks me up. I love video game props and the Dead Space Rig is a favorite.

BUT......you need to fix the links in your signature. They still go back to the bad RPF.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll fix them when I'm not posting from my phone.

It's on my list, but I've got a lot of other things to do first.

I made a bit of progress yesterday. First, I finished the last rubber pour for the chest wings:

I also made a solid start on the sculpt for the neck seal:

Again, the wearer will be looking out through the character's throat, so the "neck seal" will actually be more of a hood:

The plan is to slipcast the whole thing in latex and replace a couple of portions with a dense mesh fabric so the wearer can see out.

Finally, while I was doing all that my friend Matt got started on the forms for the next weapon:

It too will be large:

The plan is to make the bolt pistol in much the same way as we made the chainswords.

Today I'll make some more progress on the neckseal, lay up a fiberglass mothermold for the chest parts, and start on a grip for the bolt pistol. To speed things along, the same grip will be used for the bolter, flamer, heavy bolter, and so forth.

Stay tuned...

That helm looks great!
This is a really fun build to watch and you have inspired me to spend some more time with my vacuum table. I have not had a lot of luck getting weapons to come out great on the table so I really want to see how the bolters come together!

Keep up the fantastic work!

I need to build a larger vac table, mine can only handle a 20"x20" styrene sheet that I also heat in an oven in my shop. My friend and I make great pulls on it but I still need to go larger..

Loving this project! I used to paint WH 40k stuff all the time when I was younger. Please don't take offence, but I have to say that the marine pistol is great, but looks WAY too small compared to the hands your making. It looks right with you holding it in the pic, and I realise the plastic will thicken it a bit, but I still think it needs scaling up some for the suit. I always liked the design of these guns because they were so big, chunky and bad ass looking and I thought the scale looked a bit off. Those chain swords on the other hand are awesome! Top notch stuff buddy, you have inspired me to make a vac table myself now, and you sir have a new fan.

Hey I've been watching this and let me say its pretty awesome haha. I was wondering if you or anyone could offer me some insight into what the best way to shapeing that pink insulation foam you used for the shoulders is, sorry seems like a pretty nooby question but it's got to be asked haha.

I used a body rasp meant for rough-shaping bondo. It's the thing that looks like a cheese-grater with a handle on each end. I also used a very coarse scallop file. Hopefully that starts you in the right direction.

Yesterday Matt did a bit more work on the bolt pistol:

There's been a lot of discussion about it being too small. Looking at the miniatures, the bolt pistols always seemed to look small in the Space Marines' hands. At the same time, this beast looks massive in our normal-person hands. I think it'll be just fine. Bear in mind also that it's going to gain some mass when you add the magazine, muzzle, front sight, and detail bits.

In the midst of the bolt pistol build, I made a bit of progress reorganizing the workshop for greater productivity:

The first step was to move everything away from the walls that wasn't bolted down. Since then we've been slowly putting things away.

Somewhere along the way I also cast a few copies of the wings for the chest:

Today I'll sculpt the first icon to go in the middle of the chest. Stay tuned..

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back