The Thing - Fire Alarm Pull Station

Boneman

As anyone who has seen my threads on here, I'm a huge "The Thing" fan. After building my MacReady Final Battle cosplay and LED Road Flare projects, I decided to do a fun little build in recreating the fire alarm pull station complete with claxon. I did some research and found that the fire alarm shown/used in the film was a 'BG6-N Pull Station'. My initial concept was to use my laser cutter and recreate this alarm box using 1/8" acrylic. However on doing a quick search I stumbled upon an actual BG6 pull station for sale on eBay! So $60 later and I was the proud owner of one! Just having that unit alone was a small victory! Now to make it come 'alive'!

20240420_142237.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Adding Sound

This was actually pretty straight forward. I purchased a small Sound & Speaker module off Amazon - the XLW Module - 16MB Push Button Activated Sound Module with Speaker. This was $26CAD for 2 and I used the other one to provide sounds and sfx in a display base of a model I built. It's a simple little unit with some configurable settings, USB C programming and recharging and has volume control and you can load up to 16Mb of MP3 files on it, or record your own voice messages. The great thing is that it is VERY thin.

61QMOTqUN5L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

To get the claxon sound used from The Thing, I simply downloaded a clip off YouTube that has the sound (a 5 minute loop), then converted it to an MP3 and loaded it onto the XLW module.

I cut off the included switch and wired on a NO micro switch, so when you pull the handle, the metal piece that moves on the inside would make contact with the micro switch and activate the sound board. I also added wires to where the main ON/OFF switch is so I can extend that to an external switch on the side of the BG6 at a later date (so I don't have to open the BG6 box to turn on and off the main power to the XLW module).

20240419_110850.jpg

Mounting Electronics

I kept this pretty simple and basic as I didn't want to over think this as well as trying not to alter the actual BG6 unit and make it convertible back to stock should I ever want to.

I cut various pieces and shaped of EVA foam as supports for the XLW module as well as a support for the micro switch.

20240418_222605_HDR.jpg

20240420_142201_HDR.jpg

Wall Mounting & Display

Fairly simple yo mount onto my wall, however during testing I found that if you put the BG6 directly against the wall, it really muffled the sound output of the small speaker. To solve this, I simply made a 1/4" standoff mounting plate to give it a bit of space off the wall. I used my laser cutter to cut x2, 1/8" pieces, glued them together and drilled mounting holes.

I found these hammer in wall anchors that were pretty cool and super simple to install. 3 screws later (2 top, 1 bottom) and presto, the BG6 fire alarm was mounted and ready for action!

20240421_131010.jpg
20240421_131028.jpg

20240421_131651.jpg
20240421_132756.jpg

20240421_141611.jpg

"I don't know what it is, but it's weird and it's pissed off!"

It's actually pretty loud and the video doesn't do it justice! The sound module has multiple volume settings.

If you are interested in having your own The Thing alarm box, message me for details (providing you can supply your own BG6 pull station).

Last edited:
As anyone who has seen my threads on here, I'm a huge "The Thing" fan. After building my MacReady Final Battle cosplay and LED Road Flare projects, I decided to do a fun little build in recreating the fire alarm pull station complete with claxon. I did some research and found that the fire alarm show/used in the film was a 'BG6 Pull Station'. My initial concept was to use my laser cutter and recreate this alarm box using 1/8" acrylic. However on doing a quick search I stumbled upon an actual BG6 pull station for sale on eBay! So $60 later and I was the proud owner of one! Just having that unit alone was a small victory! Now to make it come 'alive'!

View attachment 1812625 View attachment 1812638

Adding Sound

This was actually pretty straight forward. I purchased a small Sound & Speaker module off Amazon - the XLW Module - 16MB Push Button Activated Sound Module with Speaker. This was $26CAD for 2 and I used the other one to provide sounds and sfx in a display base of a model I built. It's a simple little unit with some configurable settings, USB C programming and recharging and has volume control and you can load up to 16Mb of MP3 files on it, or record your own voice messages. The great thing is that it is VERY thin.

View attachment 1812629

To get the claxon sound used from The Thing, I simply downloaded a clip off YouTube that has the sound (a 5 minute loop), then converted it to an MP3 and loaded it onto the XLW module.

I cut off the included switch and wired on a NO micro switch, so when you pull the handle, the metal piece that moves on the inside would make contact with the micro switch and activate the sound board. I also added wires to where the main ON/OFF switch is so I can extend that to an external switch on the side of the BG6 at a later date (so I don't have to open the BG6 box to turn on and off the main power to the XLW module).

View attachment 1812630

Mounting Electronics

I kept this pretty simple and basic as I didn't want to over think this as well as trying not to alter the actual BG6 unit and make it convertible back to stock should I ever want to.

I cut various pieces and shaped of EVA foam as supports for the XLW module as well as a support for the micro switch.

View attachment 1812635

View attachment 1812636

Wall Mounting & Display

Fairly simple yo mount onto my wall, however during testing I found that if you put the BG6 directly against the wall, it really muffled the sound output of the small speaker. To solve this, I simply made a 1/4" standoff mounting plate to give it a bit of space off the wall. I used my laser cutter to cut x2, 1/8" pieces, glued them together and drilled mounting holes.

I found these hammer in wall anchors that were pretty cool and super simple to install. 3 screws later (2 top, 1 bottom) and presto, the BG6 fire alarm was mounted and ready for action!

View attachment 1812637 View attachment 1812639

View attachment 1812645 View attachment 1812642

View attachment 1812649

"I don't know what it is, but it's weird and it's pissed off!"

If you are interested in having your own The Thing alarm box, message me for details.
LMFAO. This is awesome.

If you explore a little deeper into the lore and background of the MacReady character, he's a Vietnam vet whos seen some **** and knows what needs to be done in crazy situations. He pulls the alarm because he was suspicious about all the previous events that had just recently transpired. So when he heard unrecognizable sounds coming from the dog kennel, he knew something bad was going down and wanted everyone available to help. If you watch and listen to this scene carefully, you realize, as does Mac, that something is very not right...

Last edited:
If you explore a little deeper into the lore and background of the MacReady character, he's a Vietnam vet whos seems some **** and knows what needs to be done in crazy situations. He pulls the alarm because he was suspicious about all the previous events that had just recently transpired. So when he heard unrecognizable sounds coming from the dog kennel, he knew something bad was going down and wanted everyone available to help. If you watch and listen to this scene carefully, you realize, as does Mac, that something is very not right...
Good explanation.

This is soooo good! There are still a couple on Ebay but the postage is more than the unit for me. Could you give the dimensions of the red box part? Width, Height and depth? (I can extrapolate the rest). I can make a stl file to print one (will share on here). Not as cool as an original but im on the other side of the world and its too expensive. I was nearly divorced for spending what I did on an empty Whiskey bottle! I will definitely make one with the sound module. I'll message for details of the sound file. Now ill be able to get my son out of bed for school to the sound of WHOOO WHO - WHOOO WHO - WHOOO WHO at max decibels!

Made the right side label... attached as an illustrator file or PNG for those playing at home! Thanks so much for your help Boneman!
(Edit: Tweaked file and WIP on model. Just have some internals to go now. ) Also, I made the walls slightly thicker to be more print friendly.

Attachments

• Side Label PNG version.png
    Side Label PNG version.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Side Labe Ai Versionl.zip
    40.6 KB · Views: 26
  • WIP2.JPG
    WIP2.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 26
  • WIP2r.JPG
    WIP2r.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Here is a rough image of where I put the micro switch and it's operation. I used used hand cut pieces of EVA foam (garage floor mat) to act as a standoff to bring up the height of the switch. I then just hot glued the foam pieces in place. I expoxied the microswitch onto the foam standoff as well as glued in two screws into the switch mounting holes for added stability.

switch operation.jpg

I simplified the internals for the sound board mounting and a spring. Left the mount for the switch out since everyone will have a different one. Everyone should have one of these alarms!

FINISHED - Added stl. files below. Just have to add your own micro switch mount and a spring that doesnt allow the handle to pull all the way out the bottom! I'll print one up as soon as I finished a current project. Hope someone can enjoy this! Boneman's is great!

Attachments

• pic1.JPG
    pic1.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 30
  • pic2.JPG
    pic2.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 30
  • pic3.JPG
    pic3.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 29
  • FIre-Lite BG6 Pull handle Alarm for soundboard.zip
    367.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
This is soooo good! There are still a couple on Ebay but the postage is more than the unit for me. Could you give the dimensions of the red box part? Width, Height and depth? (I can extrapolate the rest). I can make a stl file to print one (will share on here). Not as cool as an original but im on the other side of the world and its too expensive. I was nearly divorced for spending what I did on an empty Whiskey bottle! I will definitely make one with the sound module. I'll message for details of the sound file. Now ill be able to get my son out of bed for school to the sound of WHOOO WHO - WHOOO WHO - WHOOO WHO at max decibels!

Made the right side label... attached as an illustrator file or PNG for those playing at home! Thanks so much for your help Boneman!
(Edit: Tweaked file and WIP on model. Just have some internals to go now. ) Also, I made the walls slightly thicker to be more print friendly.
Now we're talking!

Not sure what went wrong. Had a buddy print these. He did say his build plate was too small, but not sure why everything printed in one piece. Any thoughts? Lol. I know nothing about 3D printing.

Attachments

• 20240509_110357.jpg
    20240509_110357.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 20240509_110405.jpg
    20240509_110405.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
No expert either and dont know what happened? There are 4 distinct parts. They import into Cura separately. I did a test just now and printed the handle earlier. Maybe he imported the 4 parts into his slicer at the same time and since they occupy the same place they overlapped. I have a FDM printer so I do the the parts separately. I have a smaller print bed too so I didnt export them as one file spaced out since they dont fit. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• snip3.JPG
    snip3.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 18
  • snip2.JPG
    snip2.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 17
  • snip.JPG
    snip.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 20
No expert either and dont know what happened? There are 4 distinct parts. They import into Cura separately. I did a test just now and printed the handle earlier. Maybe he imported the 4 parts into his slicer at the same time and since they occupy the same place they overlapped. I have a FDM printer so I do the the parts separately. I have a smaller print bed too so I didnt export them as one file spaced out since they dont fit. Hope this helps!
Thank you. I'll send it to him.

Printed shell and handle so far. Prints well doing the shell vertically to get a smooth front. Did it in highest quality so shell took 15 hours but saves a ton of cleanup. Picture is as it came off the bed. Handle will need some tiny fills around the "TO SOUND" letters but is good! Painting them red is another story. My eyes will struggle. Will print base and board holder tonight and have sound board ready to go. Again all thanks to Boneman for the dimensions and inspiration for this print! I have no wish to hijack your thread!

Simplified the inside. There isnt really a need for the board mount since the board can stick to the base and this gives more room for the spring. Added a micro switch holder and it works great.
Printing base now and then its some paint and the decal on the side.

Attachments

• 20240511_123601.jpg
    20240511_123601.jpg
    846.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240511_125331.jpg
    20240511_125331.jpg
    812.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240511_162712.jpg
    20240511_162712.jpg
    822.7 KB · Views: 18
  • switch mount.stl
    112.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Plastic alternative complete. The model isn't accurate to any detail but for a working toy its ok! If I ever get a real one ill try modelling it properly. I put it on a stand with Kurt's approving gaze so I can annoy people on the go! :) Handle works great and plays.

Attachments

• 20240515_202850.jpg
    20240515_202850.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240515_202856.jpg
    20240515_202856.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240518_084816.mp4
    25.7 MB
Plastic alternative complete. The model isn't accurate to any detail but for a working toy its ok! If I ever get a real one ill try modelling it properly. I put it on a stand with Kurt's approving gaze so I can annoy people on the go! :) Handle works great and plays.
My Buddy is reprinting mine. Hopefully it turns out as good as this! Looks awesome!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back