The Definitive Hawkeye "Avengers" Costume Thread

@jango Wes, I can't remember right off the to if my head but it want hard for me to find ill try to post it here in the next couple days

OK folks, buckle samples are shipping on Thursday. As soon as I get them I'll post pics and see what the consensus is as to ordering more and if it's worth the 2000pc. minimum.
In speaking with the distributor, the larger buckle size is not readily available and would need to be sized up and molded, no doubt an additional cost to the minimum 2000pcs. So, stand by for more news.

Wes and I have searched the internet for 3 weeks straight (literally), for the pants fabric. Two things that we've come across, or at least believe in as our opinions go; the pants are a dark navy blue, with black cordura panels. The second observation is that the dark navy blue fabric is a PVC/PU coated nylon with a jacquard pattern, usually found on textile motorcycle clothing. The unfortunate part is that we cannot find a distributor anywhere... So if anyone has connections to garment district types, any help would be appreciated.

The cordura I bought was from old trial fabric.com it was the cheapest I found and I'm pretty sure that's where I found the wine color. I purchased two yards of both black and purple 1000 denier. Which is pretty thin material compared to a police belt or something but should make it easier fir us to sew I guess most of the police/military cordura is the ballistic stuff and multi layered.

Buckle samples arrived, it's definitely the vest buckle. An odd design though, there's actually a small spring under the "tongue" that controls the two prongs. It operates as a normal squeeze buckle but is a bit more refined.

So a couple options that I was thinking at this point;
-1st we can go with the order of 2000pcs, roughly $400 and a boatload of leftovers
-2nd we can entertain a small run of non-functional machined pieces
-3rd we can look at molding and pouring non-functional pieces in a cold cast aluminum.

I'm open for suggestions/recommendations.

The larger buckle is another story, but I think I have an idea.

I think functional is more up my ally but again gonna want them here in the next few days lol... but I might make another more movie accurate vest if my first one comes out ok. Id still be in to help with the cost if we can divide it up reasonably.

The main thing to consider for a bulk purchase is interest. $400 is a lot of money for the few of us interested on doing this suit. Personally, I like the idea of the real deal. I could go in $40-60, but no more. There's also the cost factor involved in retooling the molds to make the belt buckle. I think for that one, especially since its relatively hidden, we could figure something out.

Yep, I'm with you both, I want function but I really don't want a shop with 1994 surplus buckles. So what about a functional cold cast buckle? The only logistical issue I see (right now) is the spring and the two pins that hold the arms in place and are used to pivot.

What if I were to mold it in 4 pieces (male end/female end & two arms)? The pins and spring should be no major deal...
Let me see what I can find locally, if it's "do-able" I might be able to get some molded/poured by Sun.

Of course as soon as I finish someone will find a US distributor selling them for $.99 a piece...

Ya I found a bunch of companys that said they're min were so many thousand but ended up selling me a few yards of fabric. I would be in for 40$ bucks or so I'll find a use for a good number of em.

Dash: your in NM? I thought I was the only one lol i'm in Roswell!

Wes: you going to Austin comic con?

Well, you could always ask if they would sell a dozen or so. Couldn't hurt. The worst they can say is no.

Yep, I'm on it. I found a company late last night that states they're willing to do smaller orders, we'll see how small. Even if I had to do a hundred it would be better than thousands...

Did some checking into the casting idea; not a lot of confidence that any poured pieces will have the strength to hold the straps and/or stand up to continued use.:cry Cold cast or pot metal...

jolive: There are a few of us in NM (probably 3:lol), I'm down in Las Cruces.

No Austin Comic Con for me. I came down on orders to go to Germany, so I have been running around getting everything in order for that. I will be hitting the fan expo in Dallas on the 19th.

Hi all,

Old member from a while back (a few years ago) but rejoined today (couldn't remember my old password or details). I have done a rush version of this Hawkeye costume (four days for the whole thing) but plan to rebuild properly for next year. This thread is really useful so thank you for putting it together.

Wes and I have searched the internet for 3 weeks straight (literally), for the pants fabric. Two things that we've come across, or at least believe in as our opinions go; the pants are a dark navy blue, with black cordura panels. The second observation is that the dark navy blue fabric is a PVC/PU coated nylon with a jacquard pattern, usually found on textile motorcycle clothing. The unfortunate part is that we cannot find a distributor anywhere... So if anyone has connections to garment district types, any help would be appreciated.

This is one aspect I am having a tough time on too. I had no luck finding anything. I am going to try another idea that might work which is to look at dance fabric supplies as they do sometimes come with texture in them and are of a hard wearing spandex. I may have to dye it the right colour but I'm going to look into it. I know its a long shot but will let you know if I have any luck.

Sorry for the lack of info folks, I was on TDY all last week. So here's the update/issue on the buckles;
$538 for 1000pcs., the company isn't willing to go any lower or take an order for any less.

I found another company with the same type of buckles and asked for 6-8 samples of the same buckle. They're willing to do it, but only take Western Union or can only send via DHL through an established account. So I set up a WU business account (major pain in the ***** BTW), the problem is I am fighting with the system to get the payment to them directly. If I can't sus out the WU issue by tomorrow afternoon I'm going to try the DHL route.

I asked a good friend to take a look at the pants fabric and see what they can find for me, he's got a couple leads but nothing solid yet.

I didn't see this mentioned in the earlier parts of the thread, but after spending an hour staring at the pic SWFreak posted of the back of the vest, I've come to the conclusion that the buckles in front are for a strap that goes around back and stabilizes the quiver. I had previously thought that the buckles just attached front "armour" panel to the matching one in back. Time to obsessively go through the movie and look for as many back shots as possible!

Anyone have an opinion either agreeing or disagreeing? Was this immediately obvious to everyone else?

I didn't see this mentioned in the earlier parts of the thread, but after spending an hour staring at the pic SWFreak posted of the back of the vest, I've come to the conclusion that the buckles in front are for a strap that goes around back and stabilizes the quiver. I had previously thought that the buckles just attached front "armour" panel to the matching one in back. Time to obsessively go through the movie and look for as many back shots as possible!

Anyone have an opinion either agreeing or disagreeing? Was this immediately obvious to everyone else?

I am certain this is exactly what the straps are for and figured that out about 8 days ago myself... So either where both slow or its not very obvious.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back