The Definitive Hawkeye "Avengers" Costume Thread

I just ordered a pair. I have a pair of old ski boots with the old style bail closures. I think I'm going to take those off, paint them silver and attach them. I guess I will also have to add some leather on the outside to make them a little thicker.

By the way, the second site (FM-Anime.com) currently has them on sale for $45.90. Shipping for me was $25 to Northern VA. At that price it makes me feel much better about cutting them up to make better versions out of real leather and bail closures.

Sounds awesome, word of warning. The PU leather they use stinks to high heaven, but using them as a pattern base rocks.
I have the left cut out of leather and am working the buckle plates/snaps etc. I'll be using a much thinner leather for the lining and tongue and will sew it all together as a solid piece and then to the base after removing what I need to make room.
I'm using the Garmont boots for the base, they will definitely work, the only portion that won't match 100% is the toe and heel. They're both a hard rubber, but can be trimmed to look like the toe and heel cap of the screen used just won't be leather. And honestly after all this I'm OK with that...

Finished my Hawkeye suit!
Hawkeye1.jpg

hawkeye2.jpg

2012-10-25_01-35-58_943_zps31ccaf15-1.jpg
Cool, I was wondering what that would look like in purple :thumbsup

By the way, I'm a relatively new costumer, does anyone think I could do this as my first sewn build? (I've done found items in the past but never a full on custom job like this)

Thanks man! If you went the route that i did with good quality heavy materials its extremely hard you have to have a leather sewing machine... No ordinary machine will do. But it just depends on the amount of accuracy that you want to put into it.

Thanks man! If you went the route that i did with good quality heavy materials its extremely hard you have to have a leather sewing machine... No ordinary machine will do. But it just depends on the amount of accuracy that you want to put into it.
I see, well this being my first costume I will try to keep on a budget,it may seem unlikey but I can see myself screwing up everything to the point of no return. That being said I am searching for some similar looking but different materials. For the red I will probably use canvas, one thing that continues to perplex me is the piping around the sides, any tips would be appreciated.

I see, well this being my first costume I will try to keep on a budget,it may seem unlikey but I can see myself screwing up everything to the point of no return. That being said I am searching for some similar looking but different materials. For the red I will probably use canvas, one thing that continues to perplex me is the piping around the sides, any tips would be appreciated.

I managed to get through my build with the cheap sewing machine I got 12 years ago. For some parts, my sewing machine couldn't handle the number of layers so I had to rely on epoxy to hold it together.

For the piping, I just used bias tape and cut it to make the corners clean. It doesn't look as good as the movie version, obviously, but it passes the 15 foot test.

You're looking for a leather trim. It's normally used for automotive applications. You can purchase it with or without internal cording to maintain the welt, and as with everything else on this costume it can get pricey, and can be murder on a normal sewing machine as in some cases it's doubled up in certain areas of the costume and trying to sew through it is a major undertaking.

Right mine has a cord running through the piping and i just had enough light leather from hancocks fabrics that i cut on the bias. Came out very cheap. As for the canvas most canvases are going to require heavy duty machinery as well. If you were willing to still go with canvas i would just pony up and get the cordura that we discussed on the last couple pages is not anymore expensive and you won't need very much. I believe i listed the website where i purchased mine from. I would even be willing to send you some if mine at cost cause i ordered way to much, i have black purple and a very accurate clothe that you could use instead of cordura.

If i remember correctly its 5mm eva foam that i coated in plastizote from smooth on. I added all the detail out of 1mm eva before plastic coat... Then paint and real arrows. I pretty much followed the iron man builds they show you how to turn your foam into plastic.

I forgot that the purple is the same cordura fabric that i made my vest out of, just glued the small pieces of fabric onto the 1mm details after final paint then clear coated every thing together.

I ordered these and I'm not entirely happy with them. The fit is fine although a little strange on the leg. I'm not completely upset because I'm sure the mods would be easy if I could find the pieces I need. Namely the buckles.. Any ideas?

Hi,
I've been trying to find anything that would be a good base to start making the quiver, but the closest I came to was some oval ducting, which was to flimsy & would have taken too much work to make it strong enough.
I've worked on a sheet metal version (3mm Aluminium) where the main body can be bent or rolled into the oval.
Here's a pic of the 3D model:

QUIVER_zpsf65d40aa.jpg

Looks good. Honestly with the 3D render I would recommend going the printer route vs. using found materials. I like the aluminum idea, but could see potential issues; damage and weight being the most likely. You might consider building the master in metal and using it to mold or vacform.

Looks good. Honestly with the 3D render I would recommend going the printer route vs. using found materials. I like the aluminum idea, but could see potential issues; damage and weight being the most likely. You might consider building the master in metal and using it to mold or vacform.

Thanks Dash,
I'm trying to justify the cost of a 3D printer, which would allow me to make the quiver more realistic (well - more like the film one).
The model is designed as sheet metal & can be welded together. The total weight (excluding arrows) is 2.2kg (less then 5lb) - so isn't too heavy (IMO).
Molding it or vacuum forming it would still need the internals & the sheet metal works out less than £50 each - pretty cheap me thinks. Ok it still needs bending, welding & painting, but still not bad.

Sounds like a solid plan. If you do go the 3D printer route keep us in the loop, there are a few of us that would be all in for a copy that may help justify cost;)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back