The Definitive Hawkeye "Avengers" Costume Thread

I know this one isn't exactly film accurate, but here is my Hawkeye. I threw it together in two weeks for a local convention. The quiver I made won an award in the costume contest for prop craftsmanship. :)

14505-hawkeye-costume.jpg

14504-hawkeye-bow.jpg

14506-hawkeye-quiver.jpg

Impressive!!!

ok this is my first post! I confess I am a bit of a lurker and have been watching this thread with interest.

The Art of Marvel's The Avengers: Video Review - YouTube

I stumbled across this book and have subsequently ordered one off amazon. There is some cool stuff in it which may be of assistance to those trying to recreate a Hawkeye or Cap or even Nick Fury costume.

If you skip to 4.26 in the youtube video (not my video may I point out!) you will see glimpses of the pages focusing on Hawkeye, his costume and weaponry.

First post here, as well! I've been stalking this thread for a bit and I've got to say you are all magical.

Captaincaveman: I can vouch- I've flipped through the book and there are some lovely concept images for Hawkeye. Just be careful because some of the renders are minutely different from what was actually seen in the movie.

And a question of my own... Is anyone else making the leather ribbing a separate garment? As far as I can tell it's not attached to the vest, but I'm thinking it's gotta be top-stitched on somewhere. The separation makes sense because it allows the waist freedom of movement in contrast to the armor-y cordura but I have no clue how they made it stay in place in relation to the vest (though that might be what the mysterious front straps were for).
I swear the set-up of this costume is ridiculous! They had to have built it on Renner XD

I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to props and I'm nowhere near most of you guys resemblance-wise (Hi, I'm a 5'2 girl) but sewing is what I do so I'll have to make sure it's stellar!

...But sewing cordura... Uhgh. On a related note, these are the fabrics that I've been able to nab locally. The wine is pretty cool in person but I'm still looking for alternatives.

First post here, as well! I've been stalking this thread for a bit and I've got to say you are all magical.

Captaincaveman: I can vouch- I've flipped through the book and there are some lovely concept images for Hawkeye. Just be careful because some of the renders are minutely different from what was actually seen in the movie.

And a question of my own... Is anyone else making the leather ribbing a separate garment? As far as I can tell it's not attached to the vest, but I'm thinking it's gotta be top-stitched on somewhere. The separation makes sense because it allows the waist freedom of movement in contrast to the armor-y cordura but I have no clue how they made it stay in place in relation to the vest (though that might be what the mysterious front straps were for).
I swear the set-up of this costume is ridiculous! They had to have built it on Renner XD

I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to props and I'm nowhere near most of you guys resemblance-wise (Hi, I'm a 5'2 girl) but sewing is what I do so I'll have to make sure it's stellar!

...But sewing cordura... Uhgh. On a related note, these are the fabrics that I've been able to nab locally. The wine is pretty cool in person but I'm still looking for alternatives.

Nah, not magic, just doggedly persistent in wanting it to be as close as possible:lol

Not sure about the leather ribbing being a separate garment. Maybe a solid panel though, as it looks like a fabric that the leather has been sewn to it in the really close up shots. I'm still not convinced that the straps are not for function to keep the vest in place during movement, to keep the whole "jumpsuit" concept. Anything is possible, and considering that Renner said in a follow up interview that the costume was the most uncomfortable he has ever worn, the designers may have been considering "look" vs. comfort and we may never nail this thing down 100%.

Nah, not magic, just doggedly persistent in wanting it to be as close as possible:lol

Not sure about the leather ribbing being a separate garment. Maybe a solid panel though, as it looks like a fabric that the leather has been sewn to it in the really close up shots. I'm still not convinced that the straps are not for function to keep the vest in place during movement, to keep the whole "jumpsuit" concept. Anything is possible, and considering that Renner said in a follow up interview that the costume was the most uncomfortable he has ever worn, the designers may have been considering "look" vs. comfort and we may never nail this thing down 100%.

The thing that gets me is that it's definitely not attached along the top of the front (since there's that funny armor bit over his ribs sticking out), and it shifts enough in the few pictures of the back that it doesn't seem to be attached there (more than superficially), either. It could be secured along the middle front of the vest just to keep it in place, but that's the only plausible contact point I'm seeing.

Additionally, while I know they're not the best resource, the Hot Toys Hawkeye has it as a separate undershirt even though it would've been easier to make it in one piece with the vest.

Ahhhhrg what I wouldn't do to get my hands on the original. My heart goes out to Renner.

Not sure I'm following. He definitely wears an undershirt (looks to be a simple black compression vest), but concerning the "leather" ribbing starting at the ribs and continuing around the back, is definitely attached to the vest. The panel located directly under the armpit and below the breast (for lack of a better description) is unattached at the bottom hem but attached at the other three sides. The first pic is the right side of just the ribbed panel detail, the second shows the ribbed panel and the panel above that is unattached at the bottom. I'm not a seamstress, but I don't believe there's a way to get the uniformity/symmetry seen in the ribbed section without it being attached.

The-Avengers_3b6b391d - Copy

The-Avengers_4ed33859 - Copy

Yeah, I really should have provided pictures, my bad!

But if you look at the underarm section, he actually seems to be wearing two undershirts- the aforementioned compression shirt and a second overlapping one. Originally I thought that was part of the vest, but there's a distinctive ridge where the vest ends around the armhole.

layer.jpg

Sorry that all of the lines are messy- I'm using my laptop trackpad ^^;;;

But back to the original point, here we see the armor bit separates the vest from the ribbed section. It's literally sitting above it so it's probably not attached to the ribbed section more than a few tacks. As you brought up, the front middle seems flush with the vest which is the (only) point where I believe it's actually attached, I agree.

layer2.jpg

And as seen here, that continues all the way around the back. It is very much sitting on top of the ribbing as opposed to being attached to it, but I imagine there was some sort of jointing point to keep it in place. If you'll also notice the bottom where it looks scrunched up, the ribbing has slipped under the bottom edge which also indicates that it's not attached there.

layer3.jpg

The same thing goes in this one where the bottom of the vest (which is incidentally also the top of the pants- Jumpsuit why!?) is slipping over the ribbing.

layer4.jpg

There's also the issue of the little strap in the back (the circled bit). It seems to be the connection between the upper vest and the pants that counters the straps in the front. I think it's really only visible in this render...

layer6.jpg

But the fact that it can loosen up to that extent (as in the photo) while the ribbing section stays taut indicates that the ribbing is moving independently of the connected pieces (bottom of the vest and top of the pants).

I could be completely off the mark and please correct me if I'm missing something (which would actually be really cool since I'm making this way more complicated than it might actually be) but here's my current plan:

layer5.jpg

Purple indicates the outline of the total undershirt. Pink outlines the sections that will actually have the ribbing, and the orange bit is where it'll be top-stitched to the vest. I'll probably have the shirt sewn to the vest at the main zipper just for ease of putting it on. It'll probably also need shirt garters to keep it down, but that's easy enough. I was also thinking of attaching the extended shoulder bits to this shirt, but I'll need to test that later.

So yeah. That's my thought process. I probably rambled so let me know if something's iffy.
If that's even remotely close to how the actual one worked, I can see why it'd be a hell to wear. Not only is it pulling in very unfortunate places (no wonder his ass looked fantastic :love), it's also looking to be a portable sauna. Woooo :|

Hi guys First post, Im working on my hawkeye costume also, I found this pants in a store on line they are from canada, they are cheaper than the 120dlls I saw in another reply, hope this helps, I will also post later today a photo of my best, I had it made but they messed up one of the colors.

Black Emerson Tactical Pants with Knee Pads

see you guys soon.

Yeah, I really should have provided pictures, my bad!

But if you look at the underarm section, he actually seems to be wearing two undershirts- the aforementioned compression shirt and a second overlapping one. Originally I thought that was part of the vest, but there's a distinctive ridge where the vest ends around the armhole.

layer.jpg

Sorry that all of the lines are messy- I'm using my laptop trackpad ^^;;;

But back to the original point, here we see the armor bit separates the vest from the ribbed section. It's literally sitting above it so it's probably not attached to the ribbed section more than a few tacks. As you brought up, the front middle seems flush with the vest which is the (only) point where I believe it's actually attached, I agree.

layer2.jpg

And as seen here, that continues all the way around the back. It is very much sitting on top of the ribbing as opposed to being attached to it, but I imagine there was some sort of jointing point to keep it in place. If you'll also notice the bottom where it looks scrunched up, the ribbing has slipped under the bottom edge which also indicates that it's not attached there.

layer3.jpg

The same thing goes in this one where the bottom of the vest (which is incidentally also the top of the pants- Jumpsuit why!?) is slipping over the ribbing.

layer4.jpg

There's also the issue of the little strap in the back (the circled bit). It seems to be the connection between the upper vest and the pants that counters the straps in the front. I think it's really only visible in this render...

layer6.jpg

But the fact that it can loosen up to that extent (as in the photo) while the ribbing section stays taut indicates that the ribbing is moving independently of the connected pieces (bottom of the vest and top of the pants).

I could be completely off the mark and please correct me if I'm missing something (which would actually be really cool since I'm making this way more complicated than it might actually be) but here's my current plan:

layer5.jpg

Purple indicates the outline of the total undershirt. Pink outlines the sections that will actually have the ribbing, and the orange bit is where it'll be top-stitched to the vest. I'll probably have the shirt sewn to the vest at the main zipper just for ease of putting it on. It'll probably also need shirt garters to keep it down, but that's easy enough. I was also thinking of attaching the extended shoulder bits to this shirt, but I'll need to test that later.

So yeah. That's my thought process. I probably rambled so let me know if something's iffy.
If that's even remotely close to how the actual one worked, I can see why it'd be a hell to wear. Not only is it pulling in very unfortunate places (no wonder his ass looked fantastic :love), it's also looking to be a portable sauna. Woooo :|

I think you're definitely on to something, so let me throw some more confusion in;); in the begining we thought the vest to be a completely separate piece, which in reality it is, however we also realized later after getting the hi-res shots that the vest is actually "attached" at the hips in direct correlation with the straps. This was also evident during the making of video where we see JR in the compression shirt and costume pants, but without the vest. What was visible (and still speculation at this point) was a roll of material around his waist, starting at the straps and going around the back of the pants, that was believed to be a panel (for lack of a better term) that attached onto the vest to give the illusion of a one piece suit. Taking all this in mind I would put forth that your theory on the ribbing is correct, in that it's attached to the bottom most layer of the vest itself, but that "panel" around the waist and back are attached on top of it (maybe velcro???). So I think the layering is; 1. compression vest, 2. fabric vest, ribbing panel/black cordura/maroon cordura, 3. shoulder panels, 4. upper body panels, 5. hip/thigh panels.

Either way we may never find out exactly, but I definitely think you're on track, although it looks to be a SERIOUSLY complicated pattern at best. I finally have some down time to work this one so I'll start mocking something up over the next few days...

I think that were putting more thought into this than the lady that made the costumes.
There's probably more than one suit in this movie and I'm sure that there were different ones for different scenes. My advice is that unless we know for certain we should just make one thats going to be comfortable and easy to make. I'm planning on a one piece design.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any idea on how to do the boots? Im planning on using my MAGNUM response boots since they are the most comfortable pair I own. Im thinking of some sort of wadder or gaiter to attach to my calves but cant really figure out a good pair to use.

Jky21 where may I ask did you have that made? It looks great! Could they by chance make another one?

I had it made by ppl in Tijuana Mexico, they are considered to be the best leather artisans in all Mexico,they do a lot of custom work. If you need anything feel free to pm me.

I think that were putting more thought into this than the lady that made the costumes.
There's probably more than one suit in this movie and I'm sure that there were different ones for different scenes. My advice is that unless we know for certain we should just make one thats going to be comfortable and easy to make. I'm planning on a one piece design.

Think of it like the thrill of the hunt. There's making a costume to wear, and then there's really pouring thought and study into making something awesome. Heck, the guy next to you probably won't notice all the little details, but it's knowing that you got as close as you can.

Dash Rendar said:
So I think the layering is; 1. compression vest, 2. fabric vest, ribbing panel/black cordura/maroon cordura, 3. shoulder panels, 4. upper body panels, 5. hip/thigh panels.

Either way we may never find out exactly, but I definitely think you're on track, although it looks to be a SERIOUSLY complicated pattern at best. I finally have some down time to work this one so I'll start mocking something up over the next few days...

So basically after this is all said and done, we all need to get together and drink ourselves under a table.

*cracks knuckles*

A random note on the bow... I went to an archery range for the first time over the weekend and, to my surprise they had a Hoyt Buffalo hanging for sale and the owner let me mess around with it a bit. Definitely answered a few questions about the bow shape and damn if it isn't a lovely bow period. Unfortunately, as I thought, it looks a liiiittle too large in my hands (5'2).
So if anyone's in the under-5'4 category, I've gotten a decent start on my downsized replica sculpt :)

Think of it like the thrill of the hunt. There's making a costume to wear, and then there's really pouring thought and study into making something awesome. Heck, the guy next to you probably won't notice all the little details, but it's knowing that you got as close as you can.

So basically after this is all said and done, we all need to get together and drink ourselves under a table.

*cracks knuckles*

A random note on the bow... I went to an archery range for the first time over the weekend and, to my surprise they had a Hoyt Buffalo hanging for sale and the owner let me mess around with it a bit. Definitely answered a few questions about the bow shape and damn if it isn't a lovely bow period. Unfortunately, as I thought, it looks a liiiittle too large in my hands (5'2).
So if anyone's in the under-5'4 category, I've gotten a decent start on my downsized replica sculpt :)

S0ren, which range did you go to?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back