Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII (Pre-release)

I agree. This thread needs to get back on topic and leave the social issues/political correctness for another forum.
I agree!

And that is not just a myth like the Holocaust. .......

[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Wow dude. I never said native Americans don't have a problem with how they have been represented in the past... I'm half Cherokee... I HAVE a problem with how they were represented... LOL.

I Basically meant that you don't hear them up in arms for lack of a Star Wars figure, or scene with smoke signals...

I see; we're in agreement that Native Americans have expressed issues with their representation in film. Your point (?) is that they're too proud to demand inclusion in Star Wars, specifically. Now it TOTALLY makes sense that Star Wars shouldn't have gay aliens!

The 2 new STRAIGHT WHITE MEN in TFA=HORRIBLE PEOPLE.

You are blind if you don't see a trend here.

:lol Which trend are we looking at! Straight white men getting all the coveted roles? The humans, good and bad, in the entire Star Wars galaxy being 99% white? The consistency with which JJ modeled the First Order after the Third Reich? Oscar Isaac (Hernandez) and a million other actors changing their names in order to sound more like straight white men so they have a shot in Hollywood? Hypersensitivity and imagined self-persecution afflicting giant swaths of the most privileged Americans?

Just google "Episode VII cast." Look how tough straight white people have it:

Screen Shot 2016-02-29 at 8.26.26 AM.png

Let's not pretend that straight white guys being cast for their straight white director as the main villains in the biggest film of all time was a dig at us straight white guys so we feel validated in our sensitivity and defensiveness. Let's ignore the pretty white girl cast as the heroic lead, the return of Mark Hammill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford; Oscar Isaac's passably caucasian look and the meaning behind his professional name; and the demand for the roles given to Max Von Sydow, Gwendolyne Christie, Domnhall Gleeson, and Adam Driver. I just can't get on board; sorry.

I wonder if people who complain about gay or LGBT characters being "shoehorned" into media think the same thing when they meet one in real life.
"Damn, I really would have been alright if your existence hadn't been shoehorned into a path with my existence."
**** off with that. People are people, they deserve to be included as much as anyone. If you have a problem with it being represented on screen it is genuinely a problem WITH YOU.

I wonder if people who complain about gay or LGBT characters being "shoehorned" into media think the same thing when they meet one in real life.
"Damn, I really would have been alright if your existence hadn't been shoehorned into a path with my existence."
**** off with that. People are people, they deserve to be included as much as anyone. If you have a problem with it being represented on screen it is genuinely a problem WITH YOU.

That's apples and oranges. In real life, I complain when Jehova's Witnesses knock on my door and try to tell me about *****, or when I have to sit through a school assembly on climate change, because being preached at is dreary. Now, I believe in the danger of climate change, but it's not entertaining. So if a character is gay in a movie, great. If a character's sexual orientation distracts from the story because the director is trying to preach a social agenda, that does a disservice to the story. I feel the same way about any social issue, whether I agree with it or not--guns, the environment, women's rights. If a message is "shoehorned" in and the story becomes a sermon, that's bad, even if I AGREE WITH THE SERMON.

Now obviously, in some movies the message IS the movie (Brokeback Mt, Fury Road, American History X, etc) and in some cases the message is artfully delivered in an organic way that doesn't feel contrived or preachy (Hateful Eight comes to mind). Other times, it's pretty tedious (Elysium, for instance).

So to recap: gay characters? Yep. Awesome. I'm all for it. Derailing the story in order to preach about gay rights? Bad touch.

That's exactly the kind of attitude that makes me not even want to engage in these discussions. If you dare take issue with something as benign as "shoehorning"(and that's what it is) gay characters into Star Wars you're immediately labeled homophobic or intolerant. Good old 2016 America where you're not allowed to have an opinion unless it's approved by the ultra-pc left. :rolleyes

I'm not racist or sexist or anti gay. Period.

Wow. I said I was out. You don't get what I'm saying. That's ok. But you are way off base.

Amazing how people pick and twist little bits from large statements.

So your telling me now that I hate gay people?

I never knew that!

How can you not get that my problem is NOT with gay people? It's with the fact that nowadays every single thing that comes out of Hollywood is following the same pattern. There's eventually going to be no time left for a plot... every movie is going to be the same 2 hour infomercial... Just make the damn movie.

I would bet that I have a more diverse group of sincere friends than any of those that are personally attacking me.

I really tried to explain that it's the legistics that annoy me. The suits. The studio execs that are only looking at selling more tickets.

The new gay characters may turn out to be my favorite characters of all time!!!!!! because... I'm not racist or sexist or anti gay. Period.

Can we just agree that while I understand where you are coming from. That you don't understand what point I'm trying to make?

I realize now that there are some people who are too busy trying to come across as the PC fighters of injustice to actually try and step back and see anything other than intolerance...

Please focus your attention elsewhere as I am DONE arguing. And your focus on me is boardering on a personal attack on me as a person and basically publicly calling me a bigot.

I'm Cherokee. My best friend since 3 is black. I have several gay friends, I've been to gay clubs and I really don't see the hate in me that you are seeing.

IM DONE WITH THIS. So please focus your energy elsewhere.

Westies, you are super talented and I've followed a lot of your threads and love your turtle sculpt. It's a shame that you now have this set in stone image of me.

But either way. I'm saying I'm sorry for coming across that way. Understand how you might mistake my reaction for intolerance. But I know in my very soul that you are focusing on specific words etc and taking me very wrong and for some reason can't remotely see my actual point.

Good on you for defending those who may have no voice in this thread! But bad on you for singleing me out and twisting my words.

I'll stay out of the subject. I cordially invite you to leave me out of your rabble rousing. Because.... You guessed it!!!

Thanks.

I take you at your word, Ken, that you don't feel animosity towards anyone in real life. I'm trying to counter the point you're trying to make, that there's an agenda in including them in films. I don't see that two-hour infomercial materializing the way you seem to. A lot of people were worried about "the token black guy" heading up Episode VII, the agenda in putting a girl in the lead. They were just good characters, moving the story along. I apologize for escalating it to a point where it felt personal. We'll agree to disagree!

That's exactly the kind of attitude that makes me not even want to engage in these discussions. If you dare take issue with something as benign as "shoehorning"(and that's what it is) gay characters into Star Wars you're immediately labeled homophobic or intolerant. Good old 2016 America where you're not allowed to have an opinion unless it's approved by the ultra-pc left. :rolleyes

The term shoehorning means to put something in a place where it doesn't fit. Claiming characters of that type don't fit in Star Wars or anywhere else, is pretty telling in my opinion. And that's where I'll leave that.

uncle, uncle... i'm sorry I brought it up! mods, feel free to delete some posts so we can get back on track.

like this one. a close up shot of BB8
12328110_568924456602460_1276754655_n.jpg

I would assume LFL official. Which means the RPF's own TK-409, Chris Bartlett. And the astromech droid is likely LFL's. If not, then probably the RPF's own R2D2 Guy (I think that's his handle), aka Mike Senna.

But I don't know for sure on Artoo--there are so many of them out there. Threepio's that look this great, however, are exceedingly rare. I only know of Chris and Gordon Tarpley who are this on point.

The Wook

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back