Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII (Pre-release)

Heck yeah!

Its high time we had Hammerhead back.

I know my post was ridiculous. No I don't want a white MalcomX. (That wasn't as funny or to the point as an all male sisterhood of the traveling pants seeing as Star Wars is FICTION. MalcomX was real.)

But I don't see why we have to change art to fit society?

You think native Americans have a strong representation in entertainment Westies? REALLY? Even the native American roles in avatar were given to the blue people! BAHAHAHA!

Again, I don't care if there are gay Star Wars characters. Not at all. It's the PC agenda machine in EVERYTHING force fed and crammed down my throat in everything.

It won't be subtle.

"Look I have a red arm!"

- - - Updated - - -

Someone get this into syndication STAT!!! Cue odd couple music!!!!!

Hammerhead and IG88 as roommates.

That script would write itself

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I hate it when the food agenda stick stuff down my throat.

Unless its chicken fillet, which at the moment I can't get enough of.

Heck yeah!

I know my post was ridiculous. No I don't want a white MalcomX. (That wasn't as funny or to the point as an all male sisterhood of the traveling pants seeing as Star Wars is FICTION. MalcomX was real.)

You think native Americans have a strong representation in entertainment Westies? REALLY? Even the native American roles in avatar were given to the blue people! BAHAHAHA!

Again, I don't care if there are gay Star Wars characters. Not at all. It's the PC agenda machine in EVERYTHING force fed and crammed down my throat in everything.

It won't be subtle.

"Look I have a red arm!"

- - - Updated - - -

Someone get this into syndication STAT!!! Cue odd couple music!!!!!
You know what story would translate REALLY well into the star wars galaxy?

The African queen.

Think about it. It takes place right after order 66 as the empire is closing in on the star systems. Somewhere in the outer rim a missionary escapes with an old drunken freighter pilot.

They end up behind enemy lines and try to take down a star destroyer.

Star Wars: Episode VIII (Pre-release)

Art is a reflection of the artists and society which produce it. Why should writers have to cater to your issues if they want to tell a story with gay characters? Why should Lucasfilm weigh your preferences over JJ Abrams'?

This isn't even about changing art. We're talking about a possibility for future Star Wars stories - not more changes for the Special Editions. Not even a remake or a reboot. Just a lack of limitations on original storytelling down the road. The sisterhood of the traveling pants isn't any better an analogy for the situation than Malcolm X.

Read back. I just expressed that they do in fact have issues with how they're represented in film after you indicated that they were "too proud" to care.

Again, I don't care if there are gay Star Wars characters. Not at all.

Somehow that got lost in the unhinged rant against the idea that gay Star Wars characters might be coming down the line...

Last edited:

This is flat out pandering, and UBER LAME.

Period.

I can't help but wonder if people think it's pandering just because it's ANNOUNCED like it's a big thing?

If it was just THERE...would people even notice it at all?

And the character is obviously going to be chewbacca. they want to erase all bad images of the holiday special and keep lawumparump from ever becoming a possibility. duh ;o).

with one or two of the posts...
try and keep the responses classy guys...that was one reason why I didn't want to b ring it up!

They can't just hang out in pubs. Are they trying to say that all aliens are unsavory types?

just look at all the people who instantly assumed that was nien numb and admiral ackbar. do ALL mon calamari look alike?

Good god ;o)

Not assumed. It was confirmed that's who they are.

As for this whole gay thing, I think JJ's statement is blown a little out of proportion. That said, I fail to see why someone's sexual orientation has any place in a SW movie, gay or not. While it can add an interesting wrinkle in the grand scheme of things, I don't think romantic tangents are needed just for the sake of it.

Last edited:

My only concern regarding the "gay characters in SW" hubbub is that, as with LOTR, close male friendships (I'm thinking Poe and Finn as the most likely candidates) might be sexualized unnecessarily. Frodo and Sam obviously loved each other deeply, and to many people that close bond equaled "gay." Men should be allowed to have deep friendships with other men that aren't sexualized. NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH TWO DUDES IN A RELATIONSHIP, but I hate how same sex friendships, especially among males, are now hung with all this baggage.

Similarly, some PW Botha fans lost their minds at the idea of a romantic relationship between Finn and Rey. If the story demands a romantic relationship, there should be one. If it doesn't, it shouldn't be pasted on to satisfy some political agenda. Ditto with gay characters. If the story requires some same sex lovin', awesome. If it doesn't, don't force it in dry just to pander.

The reason I say all this is not because I don't think it's swell to portray various races and lifestyles in a positive light--I do. It's because story suffers when the writer gets preachy or when the suits are trying to check off a demographic box.

There is no way to have an intelligent conversation about this without sounding like a bigot, and that's the worst part. But hell, SW navigated incest with barely a hiccup, it can navigate same-sex relationships, if need be, as well.

Well said! Of course, I'd say suddenly adding an incestuous slant to the OT during ROTJ was certainly a questionable move on George's part though! Lol!

Yeah, making Luke and Leia twins was probably a huge, impulsive GL mistake, but hey, we've all learned to live with that long, lingering ESB kiss :lol

Wow dude. I never said native Americans don't have a problem with how they have been represented in the past... I'm half Cherokee... I HAVE a problem with how they were represented... LOL.

I Basically meant that you don't hear them up in arms for lack of a Star Wars figure, or scene with smoke signals... (I guess the sand people's tee pees count?)

Isn't this bit of art supposed to be "A LONG TIME AGO IN A GALAXY FAR FAR AWAY"???

Aren't we continuing a story from that point of view? "droid please" was the WORST line in TFA hands down!!! Pulled me right out of that universe. Wouldve been the same to have a Kanye song in there. (Hey, it's current!)

I have gay friends. My girlfriend is bi. My lifelong best friend is black.

Long term FANS eyes roll when this stuff is put in to pander to wider audiences. Regardless of their gender or race.

i know plenty of Girls and black guys that loved Star Wars before Rey and Finn... I love those characters. And maybe one of the new gay characters will be my favorite character of all time??? Who knows???

Doesn't change that the decisions being made are plain as day as to why they are being made...

The 2 new STRAIGHT WHITE MEN in TFA=HORRIBLE PEOPLE.

You are blind if you don't see a trend here.

I just want these movies to be made to continue on what we had. Not to have a bunch of old bean counters in a room somewhere saying: "what we need is to shoehorn a transgender into this thing to sell more tickets!!!"

Read back. I just expressed that they do in fact have issues with how they're represented in film after you indicated that they were "too proud" to care.

Somehow that got lost in the unhinged rant against the idea that gay Star Wars characters might be coming down the line...

Last edited:

In short.

I'm fine with gay characters in Star Wars.

Maybe all ugnaghts are asexual guys? That's fine to read in a tech guide etc.

But when they have to spell it out. (Mark my words, THEY WILL.)

The we have a "master qui gon sir, what are midichlorians?"/ "look at my red arm" type situation.

The original Star Wars didn't spell everything out! DIDNT NEED TO!!!

I honestly don't care if the cantina was a gay bar!!!! It wasn't integral to the story one way or the other. But stopping the story to point it out would've been lamer than battlefield earth... And that is lame.

Seriously after seeing SW the way it was shot had I read in the 80's that the cantina was a gay bar... My response? Would've been: "well that's interesting!"

For some reason Westies thinks my response would've been to hold an anti gay rally! LOL!

Gay people are some of the most fun people in the world to party with! I'm pro gay mariage!

Doesn't change the fact of why the execs are making their decisions.

I wish I could word it better I guess.

Bottom line, I'm pro gay. But anti pandering and shoehorning demographics into beloved franchises for the sake of being PC or ticket sales.............

I'm out.

*****, Mary, and Joseph, the hyperbole of the last few pages in mind numbing. Here's what he said, and this the extent of it and it shows how off the rails some of these reactions are.

“Of course! When I talk about inclusivity it’s not excluding gay characters. It’s about inclusivity. So of course. I would love it. To me, the fun of Star Wars is the glory of possibility. So it seems insanely narrow-minded and counterintuitive to say that there wouldn’t be a homosexual character in that world.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Is this really worth all this discussion?
What I like most about "Star Wars are all the things that make it the fantastic sci fi adventure that it is, with brilliant spaceships, massive battles, imaginative creatures and wonderfully designed sets, ultra cool weapons, jaw dropping visual and sound effects, that superb soundtrack ,the great action in the story etc etc etc.
It does not really do deeply personal issues because basically everyone is rushing around shooting at everybody else and blowing major ***t up, be it craft, planets or "death" stations. Its a visually spectacular space opera thats meant to entertain everybody of all ages who just want to be taken out of this world for a little while by "skywalking" on some imagined ones.
I really don't want some clumsy subplot dragged into the script that involves a character agonizing about their sexuality so that it deliberately takes the audience out of the immediate story by focusing on that " issue ". Thats most definitely NOT what Star Wars has ever been about. Those kind of stories have been and are still being done to death in dozens of other radio series, serious TV dramas, and films ,none of which are as hugely popular on the scale SW is .
It seems I can't turn on any TV show these days without some show bringing in the standard and boringly predictable side plot about just how alienated ,frightened and marginalized a character feels because of what they fear others may think about their life style choices. Its often done in a desperate attempt to get people back into the story because its all become very dull and they need some gossipy click bait to get it going again ..
Most of us don't care any more.We don't even find it remotely interesting or relevant to the way we lead our lives or choose to watch as part of our entertainment. Its no longer a life drama unless somebody wants to make it into one as the person asking JJ obviously does, to add to all the Oscar marginalization turmoil.
"Star Wars" has "proper" aliens in it and far more dramatic and serious problems in its stories,like some evil galactic Empire turning up on your doorstep and threatening to blow up your planet and more pressing personal issues like turning to the darkside and carving people up with a lightsabre on a whim than soap opera bylines.
It looks to me like JJ was just trapped by some journo trying to corner him with an awkward question and he gave as neutral and unspecific answer as he could.

Last edited:

Basically it's "Could there ever be a gay character in a Star Wars Film?" and the answer is "Sure, why not?". Curious as to how that is pandering.

i'm sorry I brought it up.. I just thought it was interesting!

sometimes I think this forum needs a 'secret' political forum for topics like this so they don't drag down the main thread ;o). It could be named 'the Trash Compactor' ;o).

I'll know better next time....anyway, back to the main thread!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back