Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

When coupled with the clone wars, I love the prequels.

Besides, I'd rather watch any of them over the first hour of jedi.

To me jedi starts the moment artoo launches the lightsaber to luke at the sarlaac

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I guess our stories are all different from our walks of life. I was 5 when ROTJ came out and was always my favorite. When I was 2 my Dad took me to see ESB and then saw the original on VHS hah!

Jedi has always been my favorite because all the awesome Creatures and Jabba's Palace, Han free from the Carbonite, Rancor, Speeder Bikes, the Emperor, a second Death Star half built, seeing Luke becoming a Jedi and taking down Vader.... for me it was such a great climax to the OT in all the character development and visuals.

None of those are in particular order, ha! I just love that chapter. Over the years though as I have gotten older I have grown a much deeper appreciation for ESB. As a child you see it as a pretty grim film and I attached more to heroes coming out on top, but I really love the fact that it wasn't the typical film of good winning over evil, which was also what made ROTJ powerful, overcoming to that point and taking down the bad guys....... well that is until now where we await what's happened since then!!

C'mon December!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I remember reading somewhere that there's a saying in some EU novel about how you should "never tell a Corellian the odds." It made me so mad! It reduces Han's awesome outburst to just a mantra that presumably everyone on the whole planet recites from birth, as though there's an entire civilization of people with an arbitrary lack of respect for statistics. It makes Han just one of literally billions. Who would ever want that?!

There's is a long line of stereotypes in both books and videogames. I started rereading the X-Wing series and I can tell for certain they make that statement about Corellians is in one of them. I doubt an entire planet that has no use for odds would survive long. :lol LucasArts did the same with games where Gran (like Ree-Yees in ROTJ) area always working with Hutts, Trandoshans are always bounty hunters as well as Rodians, etc.

Yes, plenty of people like the prequels. It's about time to deal with it. Sorry.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Oh I didn't mean any ill-will toward the PT (I've warmed up to them more over time), but to wish the other movies looked like that was kinda messed up to me. I've always believed the originals as more realistic in the sets and creatures than the new ones by far. And Yoda will never look as real as he did with Frank Oz behind it. No one could possibly convince me otherwise until I see something so good in a CG Yoda that it is indiscernible. There was way more visual distractions that take me out of some of the movies there.

The Phantom Menace, while definitely not my favorite, was the last film to have any kind of partial visual feel of the originals, probably due to film stock and a HAIR bit more practical effects before pretty much everything became a blue screen for Episodes II and III.

Oh man.... They better do a full-screen Blu-Ray release that opens up to the IMAX sequences, at least for the 16:9. I know that's not the IMAX screen ratio, but at least something to open that up to show. That looks like it's going to be incredible.

Star Trek Into Darkness had a digital release with a blown up picture which was added to the Compendium BluRay. It's a good chance we'll not only get this, we might get it in Ultra BluRay. :)

I have a rather sad story to tell.

I have a cousin (in her early 30's) who hasn't seen Star Wars much and only saw episode 4 about 2 months ago.

That's not the sad part, as much as that in itself is sad...

I have a media room and one of my other younger cousins wanted to watch Episode 2. Partway in she comes in seeing a young Obi Wan talking to Dex at the diner and was asking about traveling back in time for that episode and had to explain it was the prequels and is him as a Jedi Master before the original films. She looked for a few seconds more and then said, "Well gosh if the other ones looked like this I would have watched the others a long time ago!" I shook my head and said, "I can't believe you said that."

That hurt. I was pretty surprised given our age gap isn't that far apart.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I was born in 1975 and while I never saw the originals in the theater I can honestly say...for me the prequels are what SW SHOULD be,some of it bugged me,some of it was awful but I can't help be bored watching the old films now,pretty much each film is a sequence of two or three things that happen in a line and after a few views you should be going "ho-hum"

The prequels are a bit more jumbled and you see a whole lot more of places and beings,in a way it reminds me of the Marvel comics SW in the 80's which I got to like more then the movies,nothing wrong with them but I never got just why we never went beyond the Skywalker story and the enraptured almost-creepy-to-see fixation on the Jedi.

We've NEEDED new films and we've NEEDED SW that focuses on other things besides the Jedi and Skywalker,the first three parts and the clone wars bring that out,hopefully seven,eight,and nine keep up that pace.

And we need a Boba Fett and a Stormtrooper film,just sayin'.

I was born in 1975 and while I never saw the originals in the theater I can honestly say...for me the prequels are what SW SHOULD be,some of it bugged me,some of it was awful but I can't help be bored watching the old films now,pretty much each film is a sequence of two or three things that happen in a line and after a few views you should be going "ho-hum"

I agree we need some new films because the SW universe is vast and am excited to see them finally opening up the playing field...... but I have to refer back to my previous response to my cousin when I saw what you said about the OT:

I shook my head and said, "I can't believe you said that."

Last edited by a moderator:
Um...In Attack of the Clones they went to the desert on the exact same locations the Lars homestead was filmed for ANH. I would say most people, probably 90 some percent don't notice the difference between film and digital, especially on a screen that is less than 20 feet. And tons of model/miniatures were built for EPII and III, and I don't wanna have to do a search for the photos of them and show you the documentaries. Often a blue/green screen was used to impose a person inside a practical model, like the Geonosis Arena for one.

Wow, I can't imagine a world where anyone could think the prequels are what Star Wars SHOULD be. I find that really sad. To me, that would be like some poor kid whose first exposure to Batman was Shumacher's Batman and Robin and had it engrained in their mind that this is how Batman SHOULD be. Poor poor lost souls....

The prequels are a bit more jumbled and you see a whole lot more of places and beings,in a way it reminds me of the Marvel comics SW in the 80's which I got to like more then the movies,nothing wrong with them but I never got just why we never went beyond the Skywalker story and the enraptured almost-creepy-to-see fixation on the Jedi.

We've NEEDED new films and we've NEEDED SW that focuses on other things besides the Jedi and Skywalker,the first three parts and the clone wars bring that out,hopefully seven,eight,and nine keep up that pace.

image.jpg

I grew up with SW OT in a hard time when Romania was under Communist and Soviet rule (70's and 80's). I watched ANH and ESB on cinema, but ROTJ had to watch on a friend's VHS player since Ceausescu (the Communist leader/president) didn't allow it to run on cinemas (wonder why LOL). Before 1990 there were hard times in this part of the world, and Star Wars OT was like a light tower for people here, especially for children who watched it. Of course there were no SW toys to be found in the Eastern Block, but even so I considered SW an inspiration, a way to make people forget about their every day problems.

I remember one day coming from school with two friends (I was about 9-10 back then if remember correctly), and we've seen a new BMW car parked near the school. Since it was a different car that the ones we were used seeing ever day we got near it and looked inside. On one of the doors there was a bumper sticker with Vader fighting with Luke with their lightsabers, we stood there for half an hour looking at it and remembering scenes from the movie. The car was still there for about 3 weeks - seems it was a visitor from Western Germany (the non-Communist Germany, from across the Wall) who came in visit to a house in our city...

These small things will never be forgotten by me or others who have watched and enjoyed SW back then, not matter where on the globe you rlived. OT is for me something that the Prequels will NEVER be able to provide, not even in a million years. OT may have its own issues, but cannot understand how could a SW fan say it is boring...

I think the blame can be laid on Lucas's lap since he never did diddly with it after ROTJ,I did like the Marvel comics but still to me none of it,I repeat NONE of it was "real" unless it was a movie from the man himself.

So the original films have gotten stale after thirty odd years,then he started to fool around with the originals and he spat out the prequels...well I can say he's a genius in some ways and in others is an idiot savant,there were many problems with those three films and the "add ons" in the older ones ranged from good (I liked seeing mos isley and sorry I liked seeing Jabba and Han added back in) to horrid (Han's physics defying head jerk,adding in young Hayden in place of the original)

But it was new SW and I am liking what I see (mostly) in the Clone Wars TV show-this is what SW needs more,official,new stuff and things we never seen before.
With the prequels I liked three best,one is a throwaway and two could be chopped a bit and lose some parts.

As we get closer to the new movie I'm going to sit back and watch ALL of the past ones from one to six and then go watch seven and be happy with all of them,even the warts! it's Star Wars and gawd dammit we deserve more,and we deserved it sooner!

I just hope it proves to be better now that Lucas has been given a cookie and told to go sit in a corner......

Um...In Attack of the Clones they went to the desert on the exact same locations the Lars homestead was filmed for ANH. I would say most people, probably 90 some percent don't notice the difference between film and digital, especially on a screen that is less than 20 feet. And tons of model/miniatures were built for EPII and III, and I don't wanna have to do a search for the photos of them and show you the documentaries. Often a blue/green screen was used to impose a person inside a practical model, like the Geonosis Arena for one.

Wow, I can't imagine a world where anyone could think the prequels are what Star Wars SHOULD be. I find that really sad. To me, that would be like some poor kid whose first exposure to Batman was Shumacher's Batman and Robin and had it engrained in their mind that this is how Batman SHOULD be. Poor poor lost souls....

Not what I meant,so I'll put it this way-in the first three as I said the films were basically three to four parts each i.e. Luke at home,Luke in the Falcon,Luke on the Death Star,Luke at the secret base/the final battle=the end and so forth for the other two.

What'd you get to see? mostly some back world hell hole,some hidden base in gawd-knows-where,the bad guys ships/super weapons annnnd...that's about it,yet SW is as you say HUGE it's like staring at five pieces of a thousand piece puzzle and not knowing if you'll ever get the rest of it.

True the prequels you went back to some of that but you got to see cousant,genosis and other places I can't spell! same with the Clone Wars TV show;now I will admit some of it I don't like but for the most part I enjoy finally seeing those other pieces.

With these next three I hope we get even more and go beyond that,hope we see side stories that have nothing to do with the originals,or Skywalker,Or Jedi you could have a ball with the world Lucas has created and I hope we get that.

I actually was kinda burned out after the prequels and all the fighting/hate..but with the new ones and sitting and watching CW I can say I'm getting a taste for it again and like when I was a kid I'm dreaming of stuff that we haven't seen and new places and stories.

So at least that's where I am in liking the prequels a bit more,I guess you can say I like them for making the picture more whole when combined with the older films.

I think the blame can be laid on Lucas's lap since he never did diddly with it after ROTJ,I did like the Marvel comics but still to me none of it,I repeat NONE of it was "real" unless it was a movie from the man himself.

So the original films have gotten stale after thirty odd years,then he started to fool around with the originals and he spat out the prequels...well I can say he's a genius in some ways and in others is an idiot savant,there were many problems with those three films and the "add ons" in the older ones ranged from good (I liked seeing mos isley and sorry I liked seeing Jabba and Han added back in) to horrid (Han's physics defying head jerk,adding in young Hayden in place of the original)

But it was new SW and I am liking what I see (mostly) in the Clone Wars TV show-this is what SW needs more,official,new stuff and things we never seen before.
With the prequels I liked three best,one is a throwaway and two could be chopped a bit and lose some parts.

As we get closer to the new movie I'm going to sit back and watch ALL of the past ones from one to six and then go watch seven and be happy with all of them,even the warts! it's Star Wars and gawd dammit we deserve more,and we deserved it sooner!

I just hope it proves to be better now that Lucas has been given a cookie and told to go sit in a corner......

I'd take the OT with any kind of modifications Lucas did to it over the entire Prequel Trilogy any day.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back