Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

At the end of the day it's this sort of debate that makes us so passionate about Star Wars. I see everyone's points but personally I'm seeing the glass half full as opposed to other people's half empty. It's all good and I'm happy to debate it. I'm personally not a weak fanboy who sucks up everything he's fed. I'm a huge Terminator fan and there is no way I'm sucking up that Genisys garbage for example.

Ben

Go away? Probably not. However, the odds of it being a singular entity 30 years later are pretty slim. You'd think it'd fracture into a bunch of smaller cells or groups in certain systems or planets being on their own.

That said, an enterprising young sith could very well see that and use his abilities to transform the cells back into a singular entity i'd imagine.

I hope this new order is like the lucient alliance from sg-1. Some new faction that have taken the tech and manpower of the empire and absorbed it.

I just can't see the empire still existing without Palpatine. I realize how large it was but being the sole control was his priority.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

im a huge fan of JJ. remember JJ didn't write very much of LOST, he did the pilot and only couple episodes through out the 6 seasons, heck i want to say he only wrote 4 episodes ( 2 of which is the pilot) but anyway, I'm not a startrek fan at all. I've watched all the old movies, and know some of the characters by name but nothing like star wars. I'm pretty dedicated to star wars.

i really love JJ's work with clover field (actually fun fact, that is the first movie i ever went to that at the credits people stood up and boo'ed) and Super 8 i thought was fantastic, when i heard he was doing mission impossible i figured it would flop because i know his "sneaky, leave you hanging in questions" can of take to films, but MI wasn't too bad, and i wasn't a fan of MI at all. trek i went into thinking the same, it might be pretty good. i thought trek was great, i loved how they used nimoy in and the whole time travel stuff...

with what i have seen so far i feel very confident with this new star wars team, i think it will be great, better then the PT for sure

1. you're assuming it's all true
2. Even if it is, you're then assuming there's no way it can be done right.

Seems pretty shortsighted frankly.

I've seen plenty of things in previews or articles that i thought were going to blow chunks that turned out pretty damned good.
1. I think it's all been pretty much confirmed: Stormtroopers (not clones), the lightsaber and the First Order (Empire) are all in the trailer.
2. See post #12376 where I said: "I'm more than happy to overlook this shortcomings if they're explained well and they're done well. I just think relying on the same old tricks has been done (and done again)" kinda means that I am not assuming and that I do have some hope.

I don't think it's shortsighted - I do have hope and am willing to overlook what I think are obvious shortcomings in the plotlines that we've seen so far if it makes for a an overall great storyline. I'm still a little baffled that some Star Wars fans aren't a little more critical at what we've seen and heard so far - I can understand some faith, but the overall blind faith and the way too many of us are just eating this all up without question just makes me a little uncomfortable - especially with so many complaints about the prequels.

I agree - I have also seen quite a few things that I thought were going to be terrible. I'll give you this, SW:TFA doesn't look terrible - never said that. The problem is, once you get look deeper into what they've shown us and start doing little critical thinking into what we've seen...

- - - Updated - - -

JD.

You don't like it...

We get it...

No one cares about your opinion.

Shut up.

Stay out of ep7 threads please.

I'm saying what every RPFer SW fan is thinking.

can we start a petition to ban him from this thread? Or from being able to EVER see this movie???

I hated Buffy the vampire slayer but I don't go into those threads and argue with the entire fan base!!!!

SHUT UP!!!

How sad is it someone can't handle honest discussion and debate? You're a sad little boy.

Can someone please change OldKen's diaper?

Last edited:
I never thought the falling debris was anything but part of the weather vane, and it happened to show how precarious Luke's position was, desperately clinging to life on a structure not designed to take his weight, if rescue didn't come fast he would be dead in minutes.

The only way this whole thing made sense is if Anakin was given some kind of special crystal for his lightsaber and that is what is the key or whatever. The Jedi could have given the Chosen One a special crystal and it maybe the crystal would be some kind of key. Otherwise is still seems pretty dumb. It reminds me of those young adult novels that had the Glove of Darth Vader. If I remember correctly supposedly his armored gauntlet flew out of the Death Star explosion to some planet. :lol

Wasn't that the same series that featured Palpatine's three-eyed son, Triclops or something? I had some of those books back in the day. They were rough, to say the least! Lol!

JD : Its not that you have not got some valid observations to make, its just that the way you present them and phrase them can be a little too negative at times.

Yes this thread is filled with optimistic lightsiders and for a very good reason. Despite the huge amount of negativity over the rekindling of a much beloved franchise by Disney and particularly of JJA as director from some quarters , so far ,from what we have gleamed and glimpsed of the film, it looks as if they have managed to nail it squarely on the head.The trailers look superb.
There are certain things I dislike but I don't relentlessly keep on pounding on about them. The design of the pig creature, some of the names seem weak ("Snoke", too near to snake and smoke! "Captain Phasma" sounds like a character escaped from an Austin Powers movie for godsake!). But there are elements of the OT for which this is just as true for me, nothing but niggles really, the bulk of the OT is pretty much perfect otherwise excluding the somethings beginning with "E" . And overalll I am more thrilled by what I have seen of the new film by a margin considerably bigger than I ever hoped for!!!!
Yes, there is alot of rumour and conjecture at the moment about storylines. I don't buy for a single minute the lightsabre tumbling from space. The TESB one we see being handed over in the trailer is in mint condition, not a scuff mark or bit of burnt rubber anywhere on it. Looks like its been lifted from the Vaults incomparison to Kylo Rens antique ,which looks like its been run over, chucked into a landfill and dug up again. That batter example looks more like it could have fallen from orbit than the other. So lets just call that theory a cunning bit of misdirection.
There are literally dozens of alternatives. When Vader died, who took posession of all his things? Who is the mysterious force being in the trailer? When the Empire fell what happened to all the Sith knowledge and power that resided in the Emporer? There are hundreds of good storylines to pick from and I'd trust those making it to at least get a lot of choices right.
But we wil not know until we see the film and read the book and then its likely there will still be some unanswered questions. There are rumours that some of the recent pickups have been deliberate done to change key plot points. And there is still a huge amount of time to go but the whole publicity and merchandising effort will likely start to pickup strongly soon anyway, particularly on the back of "Jurassic Worlds" huge boxoffice.
And again remember, this sequel is being made by people who have wanted a worthy SW movie for decades and they are going for broke. Like us ,they have sat down and discussed at length, what they needed to do to make that film work and do so well, and to me it looks like they have got a huge ,huge proportion of it absolutely right.
So be of good cheer and lighten up a little.

As a complete aside, my wife just got me the complete bluray boxed set.

So I decided to watch it in the machete order.

I couldn't stay awake through ANH. no matter how hard I tried. I think i've seen it too many damn times!!!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Recovering a lost lightsaber and helmet, Stormtroopers (not Clones), Empire (or First Order) - there ya go: poor and weak plot holes. No speculation needed and no explanation needed (as if I haven't explained it enough)... this sounds more like EU stuff than stuff that should be on the big screen. And I'm still of perfectly sound mind.

Go ahead and keep eating it up... I wish I could so blindly accept what they're feeding us.

Why do you assume that anyone who has no issue with those two points isn't capable or engaging in critical thinking? Because they don't agree? If I have spent almost 40 years not thinking ST were clones and can very readily see how a First Order could rise from the remains of the Empire how does that make me a fanboy sheep? It's really insulting when you suggest that.

Reshoots & pickups changing plot points?

At first I was going to say that sounded really bad. But after a few seconds of thinking, I wonder if that was intentionally designed-in to this movie for secrecy reasons. Leave the majority of the crew thinking they saw one thing, and then change it around with the barest essential skeleton crew they trust.

They were doing stuff like "Revenge of the Jedi" and "Blue Harvest" and giving David Prowse misleading dialogue on the set . . . 30 years ago. Imagine how much harder they must be working today just to keep a lid on it.

1. I think it's all been pretty much confirmed: Stormtroopers (not clones), the lightsaber and the First Order (Empire) are all in the trailer.
2. See post #12376 where I said: "I'm more than happy to overlook this shortcomings if they're explained well and they're done well. I just think relying on the same old tricks has been done (and done again)" kinda means that I am not assuming and that I do have some hope.

I don't think it's shortsighted - I do have hope and am willing to overlook what I think are obvious shortcomings in the plotlines that we've seen so far if it makes for a an overall great storyline. I'm still a little baffled that some Star Wars fans aren't a little more critical at what we've seen and heard so far - I can understand some faith, but the overall blind faith and the way too many of us are just eating this all up without question just makes me a little uncomfortable - especially with so many complaints about the prequels.

I agree - I have also seen quite a few things that I thought were going to be terrible. I'll give you this, SW:TFA doesn't look terrible - never said that. The problem is, once you get look deeper into what they've shown us and start doing little critical thinking into what we've seen...

- - - Updated - - -

How sad is it someone can't handle honest discussion and debate? You're a sad little boy.

Can someone please change OldKen's diaper?

Fair enough, but still you're going under the assumption those are poor choices regardless. It's entirely possible their execution is flat out brilliant (and yes, equally plausible it falls on it's face). The point is, why the seemingly utter dislike before you've seen the final product? All it's going to do is wind up coloring your view once you do see it.

One of the things longtime fans seem to have going for them is the 'grain of salt' mentality i you will. Everyone built up high hopes for the prequels and that clearly didn't come to fruition. Perhaps they'll be looked upon as the palette cleanser in the future that allowed people to go into the sequels with open minds and not expecting miracles. THAT's when those things tend to happen. If you expect to not like something, you generally won't.

May that is your stance (more or less) and i'm just not picking up on it, who knows? At this point, i'd imagine it's fine to be skeptical of something you think you know, but not outright dismissive.

We know a graflex is in it, but not in what context (at least not in the non-spoiler area - i've never set foot there, don't want to know). The first word was that we focused on it in space falling to the surface of a planet which i think has been pretty much debunked. Tell me there aren't people, here, on this planet, and probably in nearly every country who collect stuff like nazi memorabilia. You can't. If the villain is doing that, it's not necessarily a bad thing idea wise. it's all about the execution. Perhaps its the first order not because some general or moff kept the empire together, but because the new bad guy co-opted a remnant off a back water world in his quest to conquer. Maybe they're not even run by the bad guy, perhaps to defeat the bad guy the good guys and the former empire have to put their past behind them and join forces to defeat the enemy? Even with what some people think they know, doesn't mean there still aren't lots of different ways things can go.

It all boils down to personal opinion. I just don't get how these aren't poor plot choices and how some of these decisions don't weaken some aspects of the story we've already seen - I think it's glaring and obvious and it frustrates me that others either aren't picking up on it or just choose to accept it without much thought towards it.

I know some of us have discussed this multiple times in this thread and it's painfully obvious that they're more than cool with these decisions. To each their own. Perhaps I'm a little too aggressive in defense of my opinion - but, it's hard not to be when you get the same thrown at you.

I'm very skeptical of these things - but, not as dismissive as it might seem. The sense of fun, excitement and nostalgia we get in the trailers is overwhelming and hard to ignore.

It's obvious we all love Star Wars and we all the best sequels. While I am very excited and eagerly awaiting TFA, I'm of the mind - based on what we know so far - it could've been better based on what seems to me to be some questionable plot choices - had the creative team worked a little harder that maybe this movie will be that much better (again based on what's known). As I've said (repeatedly), I'm going to be there saving final judgement and with lots of hope that this movie will blow me away - and with a great amount of hope that these issues will be done well, won't be obvious and won't matter much - it's already pretty obvious that these things won't matter to most.

II think it's glaring and obvious and it frustrates me that others either aren't picking up on it or just choose to accept it without much thought towards it.

Yeah, here's where this all is going south for you in this discussion. You are becoming frustrated, which is a very negative emotion, because very few people see these issues as problematic and not keeping with their personal vision of the STAR WASR story. This is one of those cases where the problem isn't with everyone else, it's you. It's fine that you want to insists ST are clones or that the Empire should have disappeared post ROTJ, but there is a world of people out there, including those at LucasFilm that disagree with that. And rather then respect that different opinion you attack it as lazy and call us all blinded because we don't adhere to your view. That's not cool and keeping with the spirit of the discussion.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back