Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Didn't we see Luke's hand and lightsaber drop from Cloud City and fall as Luke did the same? Of course, Luke caught the antenna/weather vane, whereas the hand and hilt continued to plummet. Bespin is also supposed to be a gas giant - so, the pressure gets stronger and stronger the deeper down you go. If that was the hand and saber, they should've been smashed.

However.... the ESB novelization says it's just a piece of the weather vane that falls. I do wonder about the original intention of that stuff falling... either way, recovering Luke/Anakin's lightsaber is just a poor plot point - is Episode 8 going to be about retrieving Palpatine's can? 9 can be about Maul's horns.

Here's the missing link between RotJ and TFA:

Last edited by a moderator:
To me that's just it...a poor plot point (of course we don't know how it will play out)

They either won't explain it at all and it will feel like a plot hole. OR they will explain it with detailed mumbo jumbo and it will feel like they're trying to justify a crazy coincidence.

Anyone remember star trek?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

It was obviously found by an Ugnaught (like someone said) and sold on Space eBay.
This is actually my favorite theory. I remember in the initial stages of development, there was a fan rumor that kylo ren was a man obsessed with collecting sith artifacts. If the lightsaber was found, I like the idea that it was just part of some collection.

The idea that the lightsaber is an excaliber bothers me a bit. There were thousands of lightsabers and although yes, they are each special, they aren't symbolic of anything. If I'm not mistaken obi wan lectures anakin about losing "another" lightsaber.

Star wars isn't the type of universe with things like "the holy grail", the allspark, or "excaliber"

I've mentioned this before but there are at least a couple of reasonable explanations:
Firstly, Vader recognised his old lightsaber in the hands of his son and, having the Empire take over Cloud City , sent one of his officers to retrieve it personally. Give his connection with it its something he would likely do.
Or, given the huge amount of debris that is always likely to get thrown down the shaft, as happened in the fight between Luke and Vader, it was collected at the bottom and retrieved by the Ugnaughts as scrap to be reprocessed. Finding a working lightsabre , amongst other valuables, would have been a considerable bonus to them, and it was then sold to an imperial commander, who recognised it as once belonging to Vader.
OR!!!!!! It was sold to another individual, somebody with a specially interest in collecting Jedi artifacts, who is then later hunted down by Kylo Ren (because he is desperate to get his Grandfathers lightsabre, or perhaps because he is partly possessed by a Sith force ghost.)
Personally I prefer the last one as there is possibly a richer storyline. I absolutely hate the idea a lightsabre just happens to fall down from space and be picked up in mint working condition ( just how many pieces of space debris have you found, and most even tiny objects like micro meteorites burn up in the atmosphere!!!!). I think it is more likely it comes from from inside a craft shot down trying to escape First Order forces, rather like the opening of the A New Hope. How else are you going to find a single lightsabre in an entire universe, let alone a planetary system.

This is actually my favorite theory. I remember in the initial stages of development, there was a fan rumor that kylo ren was a man obsessed with collecting sith artifacts. If the lightsaber was found, I like the idea that it was just part of some collection.

The idea that the lightsaber is an excaliber bothers me a bit. There were thousands of lightsabers and although yes, they are each special, they aren't symbolic of anything. If I'm not mistaken obi wan lectures anakin about losing "another" lightsaber.

Star wars isn't the type of universe with things like "the holy grail", the allspark, or "excaliber"

It has a connection to Anakin Skywalker, he made it. He was the Chosen One, so that makes it unique. And it was Luke's and is tied to him.

But anakin went through several of them. It wasn't some magical token, interwoven to his destiny.

It's their master over the lightsaber that is important.

It reminds me too much of star trek. When spock launches kirk onto some random planet and he just happens to land near spock. It's just too convenient.

But anakin went through several of them. It wasn't some magical token, interwoven to his destiny.

Maybe the previous ones weren't. Maybe this one was.

I don't mind the Excalibur mojo at all. Star Wars was always supposed to have a decidedly mythical bent lurking just under the skin.

In the old legends the Excalibur sword wasn't actually the same sword that young Arthur pulled from the stone.

Having said that, I do think the plausibility problems for rediscovering this infamous lightsaber in Ep#7 are serious.

We can rationalize things all day long. But the original shooting of ESB was showing Luke's severed hand & saber falling out of the bottom of the city. We all know it. That scene wasn't shot like the saber would turn up later and it wasn't shot to leave it ambiguous either. Future generations of SW viewers are probably going to sense that the lightsaber being rediscovered in #7 is retcon no matter how they elect to explain it.

Having said that, I do think the plausibility problems for rediscovering this infamous lightsaber in Ep#7 are serious.

That scene wasn't shot like the saber would turn up later and it wasn't shot to leave it ambiguous either.

I don't agree with that at all. It wasn't shot to imply anything, it simply fell. We never see it fall, the fall is meaningless as we are focused on Luke just having his hand cut off. There is zero implication either way of what happened to it.

It's their master over the lightsaber that is important.

It reminds me too much of star trek. When spock launches kirk onto some random planet and he just happens to land near spock. It's just too convenient.

All I can say without spoiling anything is that a lightsaber, because it's a very personal item for a Jedi, has a kind of connection to them that is important, as we shall learn.

Maybe the previous ones weren't. Maybe this one was.

I don't mind the Excalibur mojo at all. Star Wars was always supposed to have a decidedly mythical bent lurking just under the skin.

In the old legends the Excalibur sword wasn't actually the same sword that young Arthur pulled from the stone.

We can rationalize things all day long. But the original shooting of ESB was showing Luke's severed hand & saber falling out of the bottom of the city. We all know it. That scene wasn't shot like the saber would turn up later and it wasn't shot to leave it ambiguous either. Future generations of SW viewers are probably going to sense that the lightsaber being rediscovered in #7 is retcon no matter how they elect to explain it.
That's my problem with it. It doesn't work for the film.

Yes, it was symbolic that luke had his father's lightsaber. It was even more symbolic when vader cut it out of his hand. But then it was done.

It had no more place in the story.

(Other than when it was alluded to as luke returned the favor in jedi)

But bringing it back is too thin a convenience. Epic stories across a galaxy happen organically. We don't need to tie items and people together this tightly.

As I said before, we didn't need Boba fett as a kid, three pioneer didn't need to be built as anakin and Luke's sabre that was cast aside in a chasm 35 years ago doesn't need to return.

It's going to take quite a bit to sell to that this lightsaber was both found and some Excalibur-type mystical icon to me. In the first two trilogies we see very little in the way of this type of symbolism... and with Cloud City being pretty darn big and Bespin being a gas giant of a planet (and us seeing Vader leave Cloud City directly after his battle with Luke) just makes the type of recovery just crazy.

We also have the recovery of Vader's helmet - which you think Luke would've kept an eye or made sure was destroyed... or something.

However, our history shows that there have been more than one or two quests for objects like this. Heck, Lucas made a whole other series about that kind of stuff.

Personally - while I am waiting and hopeful of the end result - I still think it's lazy storytelling.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back