Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

It's just some trash shown to emphasize the peril that Luke was in.
Luke's hand and saber fell at least two or three minutes before Luke himself did. Given the weight and aerodynamic differences between Luke and his hand there is no way the two ended up in the same place.

Provided it didn't fall out of the city there is no reason it couldn't be found given sufficient resources, especially if cloud city had a method for detecting and removing foreign objects.

How they actually found the saber is not nearly as interesting to me as who found it, when did they find it and most importantly why were they looking for it?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've always been fuzzy on that. Some sources say it's his hand (and saber?) and some say it's part of the weather vane that he lands on...

We have discussed it in the Spoiler thread. Obviously the saber is found and it has an interesting backstory that will be included in the film.

Awesome. I'm glad the backstory is explored. I'm not the type that likes having everything explained but I'd like to know what's going on there when I see the movie. Lol!

Sounds like the mystery box has quite a few leaks!

Awesome. I'm glad the backstory is explored. I'm not the type that likes having everything explained but I'd like to know what's going on there when I see the movie. Lol!

Sounds like the mystery box has quite a few leaks!

Actually, I'm amazed how little we have learned, to be honest. There has yet to be a screenplay leak, all the spoilers have been pieced together through a combination of concept art, very vague scene descriptions, etc. It has allowed for a pretty clear picture of the overall story and how it plays out but there is still a lot that has yet to be discovered. Rey continues to be a real mystery.

I generally agree too and I like Rebels more than I thought I would. I didn't care for the The Clone Wars at all. My only real hesitation in regards to TFA is the survival of Luke's TESB lightsaber. I'm very interested to see how they explain that. My initial reaction is that it seems pretty unlikely and silly but we'll see I guess.

I believe that was a spoiler? :(

I'm not big on the idea of Luke's saber being in the film. I'm not a big fan of making it a smaller universe. There are many things in the galaxy that only need to be a part of the story for a little while. And many of the things that made us groan in the prequels where when Lucas tried to make things more integral to the story than they needed to be. Boba fett, chewie, or the fact that anakin built threepio.

And turning Luke's lightsaber into a macguffin of sorts, kinda does that to me.

It actually makes sense... Imagine if the SW universe was real (shocker I know) and you're living on Cloud City. Rumors are going spread like WILD FIRE that Vader (the most evil baddie in the universe) is in a light saber dual with "someone". While most people would flee the city - others are going to go investigate.

Now... if the SW universe was anything like today (again, it's not real), there would be a TON of people with their cell phones taking video of the fight, along with selfies (I hate that word), and most of the video footage would show Luke getting his hand cut off. Someone is going to go look for that thing! Plus the vid would show up on their version of TMZ!

Or... it was a Ugnaught who found the saber and severed hand and he was simply heading home after a long day of smelting! ;)

It actually makes sense... Imagine if the SW universe was real (shocker I know) and you're living on Cloud City. Rumors are going spread like WILD FIRE that Vader (the most evil baddie in the universe) is in a light saber dual with "someone". While most people would flee the city - others are going to go investigate.

Now... if the SW universe was anything like today (again, it's not real), there would be a TON of people with their cell phones taking video of the fight, along with selfies (I hate that word), and most of the video footage would show Luke getting his hand cut off. Someone is going to go look for that thing! Plus the vid would show up on their version of TMZ!

Or... it was a Ugnaught who found the saber and severed hand and he was simply heading home after a long day of smelting! ;)
Ah but you forget that cloud city was under evacuation. And the area that luke and vader were fighting was completely abandoned. And that lightsaber simply went down some shaft and then fell into the heart of a gas giant. That's kinda like tossing a brick off a ship in the middle of the ocean.

It all sounds kinda ridiculous. (And makes it feel like a macguffin) But then, so did Darth maul returning to the clone wars

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Ah but you forget that cloud city was under evacuation. And the area that luke and vader were fighting was completely abandoned. And that lightsaber simply went down some shaft and then fell into the heart of a gas giant. That's kinda like tossing a brick off a ship in the middle of the ocean.

It all sounds kinda ridiculous. (And makes it feel like a macguffin) But then, so did Darth maul returning to the clone wars

No, you can't assume it fell down to the planet. It fell down a shaft but there's no indication that shaft was open to the outside.

The thing is,...Luke didn't fall into the particular vent he ended up in,....he was sucked in

The vents are in the walls of the tube,.....They are everywhere,....in groups of 6

Here:
Screen%20Shot%202015-06-26%20at%2021.52.18_zpsx2h2dceo.png

Here:
Screen%20Shot%202015-06-26%20at%2021.52.31_zps0vtmopyh.png

Here:
Screen%20Shot%202015-06-26%20at%2021.53.14_zpstpt2vm24.png

Here:
Screen%20Shot%202015-06-26%20at%2021.52.44_zps0ylvrx3u.png

Here:
Screen%20Shot%202015-06-26%20at%2021.52.56_zps85w7yfgb.png

In this part of the scene you can see Luke moving Horizontally:
Screen%20Shot%202015-06-26%20at%2021.53.32_zpsz7dwpfsu.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-26%20at%2021.53.48_zpsjpmafkfo.png

....so really what all these vents do,....or are for....or what they would do if they sucked up a person,...or a scrap of metal,....Luke came to rest in one of the tubes,....perhaps the sensors read him as useless organic material & disposed him...whereas one of the other MANY vents may have sucked in a lightsabre,...which was scanned as useful metallic scrap

....what I/m trying to demonstrate is that there are probably thousands of these vents and I find it highly unlikely the sabre ended up in the same vent & tube that Luke did,....or being expelled from the city either

J

The fact that Luke's lightsaber turns up is more interesting to me than young Anakin knowing young Greedo, at least that particular scene got cut.

Last edited:

Luke fell down the shaft and stopped, if you recall, and then the bottom of that shaft fell out from under him sending him out the bottom. Who knows where the shaft led otherwise.

Not to mention, who says the saber entered the same shaft? could have been another that wound up somewhere in the city.

Look people, that saber was clearly still somewhere on Cloud City. Period, full stop. Perhaps instead of plot convenience or fan service or McGuffin, think more Excalibur. Cool concept and based on what I have read, executed perfectly.

Last edited:
The fact that Luke's lightsaber turns up is more interesting to me thank young Anakin knowing young Greedo, at least that particular scene got cut.
Du ik

And even if the saber fell straight down there's no apparent opening at the bottom.

Luke fell down the shaft and stopped, if you recall, and then the bottom of that shaft fell out from under him sending him out the bottom. Who knows where the shaft led otherwise.

Not to mention, who says the saber entered the same shaft? could have been another that wound up somewhere in the city.

There isn't one aspect of what we have seen of this film that has yet to make me cringe or question anything... Except the release date! ;)

Agreed! I really like the look.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back