Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Totally agree. Thought the same thing, Looks like a motorcycle helmet or something Apple would design.

While I like it, that's what I thought as well - it already looks "dated" in the sense that it is a very contemporary design. And yes, I did see the McQuarrie side details, doesn't help making it look less "apple-ish".
But yeah, I kinda like it, will be interesting to see the rest of it.

I've gotta say I'm really liking the new look, and the so-called jungletrooper looks a lot like what the earlier rumors indicated. I'd love to see more of it too! I'd be interested to know why they decided to only have one mic tip for the stormtrooper? When I initially read about it, I thought it'd look kinda dumb but Raphael's pic (thanks for sharing!) does alleviate some concern there. Just seems like an odd design choice though. I also think I could do without the eye area connecting to the frown but that's a minor quibble. Overall, I think they both look cool and frankly far better than the PT troopers. For some reason I really like how the vents that were simply blue stickers (or hand painted) on the OT stormtrooper helmets now actually look "functional" now!

Looks like the Empire is not on the ropes quite as much as I would've thought.

Last edited:

Yet more proof that the people working on Episode VII know exactly what they are doing. Its very heartening to see just how much creative talent has been allowed free reign to develope concepts forward from the OT without significantly drifting offbase. I think the design compliments everything we have seen beforehand throughout the series, and the modern aspect really makes it as relevant to today , as OT SW did 35 years ago. Once it's been weathered abit it will look the business! Perhaps now the stormtroopers will be able to shoot a little straighter. My only concern now is where I will find the room for more of these props.

Reminds me of something from the Tron Legacy universe. As if there were a Star Wars program in their matrix.
I could see Jem wearing this helmet, stepping out of a white light cycle.

It didn't even take 2 seconds to love that Stormtrooper helmet, and that's saying a lot because with NEW Star Wars content than what I know I usually have to let it grow on me, but that just immediately hit me as awesome. I cannot wait to see the first trailer of this film. GAAAAAAAH!!!!!

Betcha there isn't.....

Well then this aughta get you.... This is a real Stormtrooper for Episode 7.

Since a different pic was already leaked, my insider friend is letting me leak just this one. See the difference?

Now then, are there any doubts that I have seen the other troopers and Solo's wardrobe? (and other cool things)

Well this picture is online at various other sources as well.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/68388

Last edited:

That helmet is AWESOME! A bit streamlined compared to the original... but AWESOME! This tells me that the Empire is still very much alive and very well financed. I'm sure it's going to look amazing on screen!

OH MAN! This is going to be a LONG wait!

I'm coming into this really worried because I have practically nothing good to say about Abrams' version of Star Trek.

That said, I'm liking pretty much everything I've seen so far - the new X-wing, the Falcon, and now the trooper helmet. He may still find a way to screw it up, but I have zero complaints on the design side of things.

The Ep.VII helmet is another step in the series of trooper helmets, it makes sense, I like it, but it leaves me a bit confused as of yet.

See, the Phase 1 helmet was mean and sleek, straight lines and a stylized mohawk ridge with pointy rear tip. It was simple, a real "bucket". The Phase 2 was a nice cross between the first and the Ep.IV stormtrooper, there were a little more design features, rounder shapes and more details such as the mic tips and ribbed ear pieces. The Ep.IV stormtrooper helmet is edgier with more accentuated cheek tubes and, lacking the vertical visor part in the middle, frown and goggles. It has a distinctive and very mean look to it. I think there's a beautiful and logical evolution in the design of these helmets, even if it was created partially in reverse chronological order. In fact, the retroactive design makes it even more exciting.

Now, the EpVII helmet, as it is presented in this thread, takes a step in another direction. I would have expected it to look grittier, more driven by function than design, perhaps something in the line of this Alex Tavoularis' storyboard illustration (as enclosed), which is based on the MacQuarrie design. This would have been logical thinking about the previous helmets. Even the McQuarrie helmets have crispy details and clues to functionality driven design, for example the very techy looking steely neck joint visible in the production paintings is a wonderful and menacing detail. McQuarrie has been a strong influence in the design of Star Wars VII, as we know, I wonder why they did not apply it here. The new helmet looks as if it is not from a world of technocratic monoculture and a war machine that is the Empire, I don't see why they would bother designing anything for the looks, only efficiency. The new helmet looks as if it was desinged by Jony Ive and I struggle to see the world where this is coming from.

Perhaps there is more to this than we know at the moment. :D

Attachments

• RMST_3.jpg
    RMST_3.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 140
  • u02l3s3b.jpg
    u02l3s3b.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 144

So far...

Old R2 units
Pig Like Creature
"Hut" location / Trading post?
Xwing
Falcon
Stormtrooper Helmets...

I wonder what's next!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back