Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

I prefer this idea that he builds the Jedi order out of the way... not only to train new but to rethink the whole thing... the jedi had been around for over a 1000 years.. he is only a jedi for 30 years at this point with a blank slate.

True, but there's a flaw with the idea of starting anew. If you don't learn from history, it's bound to repeat. Luke doesn't have any of the information about the Jedi except what he's been told by Obiwan and Yoda. And you have to think about this: the Sith had to come from somewhere. What's not to say that the order of the Sith were created by rejected Jedi? Luke wouldn't know for sure, and without any of the Jedi history, he's doomed to inadvertently restart the Sith as well.

very well could be. there would be a sudden grasp for power.. .someone would want to seize control of the imperial assets and retain control of military power and wealth... (if Tarkin was still alive this is something he would do) I'm not sure if Lucas intended for the fleet that was at the battle of Endor to be all of the imperial fleet. I wouldn't think that would be everything they had. so the death star was destroyed yet again and this time the emperor and vader with it but there is always someone with high aspirations and greed. I doubt they would all just raise a white flag and wait to be arrested or just set free to fend for themselves after the battle... didn't have to be the final battle.. was just the end of the Jedi/Sith balance of the force prophecy. I can easily see that the rebel alliance would still have to deal with imperial holdouts. Just as so many Al Qaeda/Taliban leaders have been defeated Taliban still attempt to carry on.

That's why I've said before that if the Empire is still around in some way I'd not be too surprised,they won't be a major force anymore but I think some of it may survive for possibly hundreds of years if not forever
no reason that you won't have a few planets who side with them still and maybe give them a base to work with.

One other thing is that they may not only have fought the Rebels after ROTJ but as you said you'll have some crazy who still wants power,but what if you have several? it could have devolved into a three way Rebel and Empire factions free for all.

Really the galaxy may just be starting to recover at the start of Ep VII

True, but there's a flaw with the idea of starting anew. If you don't learn from history, it's bound to repeat. Luke doesn't have any of the information about the Jedi except what he's been told by Obiwan and Yoda. And you have to think about this: the Sith had to come from somewhere. What's not to say that the order of the Sith were created by rejected Jedi? Luke wouldn't know for sure, and without any of the Jedi history, he's doomed to inadvertently restart the Sith as well.

I'm sure there's records about that he could see all that's happened,and maybe that's the whole thing about an "ancient fear" in the working title...maybe the Sith we've seen are just the tip of a very large iceberg and there's a whole bunch of them out somewhere?

The whole "bring balance to the force" thing has always been a bit vague to me,did that mean destroy the Sith? or if you think about it....maybe Vader brought balance by destroying the Jedi? maybe THEY were the imbalance since they had gotten bloated with over confidence and power? so maybe with the new Jedi there's balance but that means the Sith are not only still out there but way more powerful then anybody thinks?

Like I said lot of ways this could go,many good,so I'm ready for anything.

Always two there are! :D here is my point of view; everything has an opposite. You cannot know hot without cold, happy without sad, wet without dry... Even color and numbers have opposites so good Jedi and bad Jedi (Sith) would have to exist. I like the idea that out of balance was just as much too many arrogant Jedi in control for so long but also that one bad Sith was in control of all destiny... Either way StAr Wars is and will always include Jedi and Sith.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Always two there are! :D here is my point of view; everything has an opposite. You cannot know hot without cold, happy without sad, wet without dry... Even color and numbers have opposites so good Jedi and bad Jedi (Sith) would have to exist. I like the idea that out of balance was just as much too many arrogant Jedi in control for so long but also that one bad Sith was in control of all destiny... Either way StAr Wars is and will always include Jedi and Sith.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

First I've never liked the Jedi much and the prequels pretty much reinforced that,second Yoda was okay but he was just as guilty of the grand brew ha-ha as any of the others so no offense but that always two there are shtick is about as believable as a crock of rancor dung ;)

I personally want a Sith army to at least be known if not show up......

yes but if you read my Always two there are! in the context of what I wrote I meant that there is always a jedi and a sith... you can't have one without the other. you can't have a jedi and not ever be any more sith
First I've never liked the Jedi much and the prequels pretty much reinforced that,second Yoda was okay but he was just as guilty of the grand brew ha-ha as any of the others so no offense but that always two there are shtick is about as believable as a crock of rancor dung ;)

I personally want a Sith army to at least be known if not show up......

In regards to Yoda, Luke pretty much did the opposite of everything Yoda wanted him to do, i.e. kill his father, don't save his friends, ect. So I don't think Luke spending 30 years in seclusion, allowing the Force to remain in balance is spitting in Yoda's request to pass on what he has learned. Luke isn't dead yet, he still can. And although he couldn't wait to leave, Tatooine is is home, it is familiar and although we all want to leave home in our youth, we often find comfort there in our older years.

Again? :lol ;) According to Lucas, the death of the Emperor put the Force in balance. It's not a ying/yang thing. As of the end of ROTJ the Force is perfectly in balance according to the Jedi.

Luke going into seclusion is totally opposite of his character. The Force stopped the bad guys so there's no reason for him to feel Jedi are dangerous and go sulk for 30 years. He knew his importance to everyone so I seriously doubt he'd abdicate that responsibility.

In regards to Yoda, Luke pretty much did the opposite of everything Yoda wanted him to do, i.e. kill his father, don't save his friends, ect. So I don't think Luke spending 30 years in seclusion, allowing the Force to remain in balance is spitting in Yoda's request to pass on what he has learned. Luke isn't dead yet, he still can. And although he couldn't wait to leave, Tatooine is is home, it is familiar and although we all want to leave home in our youth, we often find comfort there in our older years.

Actually, Yoda was an a-hole. He planned on not telling Luke the truth about Darth Vader being his father, so that Luke could kill him. Not exactly Jedi like behavior.

But at least Luke can learn not the make the same mistakes as Yoda did, especially the whole, "I'm not going to tell you the bad guy is related to you in hopes of you killing him for the greater good."

Again? :lol ;) According to Lucas, the death of the Emperor put the Force in balance. It's not a ying/yang thing. As of the end of ROTJ the Force is perfectly in balance according to the Jedi.

I always had my own theory that the force was never in balance during the six films. I felt the immense power of the Jedi in 1-3 was wrong, as was the rule of the Emperor in 4-6. I think the entire story line, the Clone Wars, Anakin going to the dark side, the defeat of the jedi, rise of the empire, and then the empire's defeat was the balance of the force rocking back and forth until Luke was able to restore it back to the way it should be.

I always had my own theory that the force was never in balance during the six films. I felt the immense power of the Jedi in 1-3 was wrong, as was the rule of the Emperor in 4-6. I think the entire story line, the Clone Wars, Anakin going to the dark side, the defeat of the jedi, rise of the empire, and then the empire's defeat was the balance of the force rocking back and forth until Luke was able to restore it back to the way it should be.

Winner, winner chicken dinner! That's exactly right. If anyone wants to know the truth about the Force, watch the Mortis trilogy in CW and the 3 Yoda episodes of Season 6 on Netflix. That IS canon as per Lucas 2013 as opposed to 1983. If you haven't watched this, you are not fully informed about the nature of the Force in canon. The Force is in balance when the Emperor dies not because he was Sith, but because Luke was willing to sacrifice himself out of love. It's not quid pro quo or ring and yang. What happens if Luke populates the galaxy with new Force users all trying to influence events? Not in balance. The Force is not a means to an end.

Last edited:

That balance crap is from the prequels. I hope I don't hear anything about balancing the force, midichlorians, gungans, or purple lightsabers in Episode VII. In fact, no one ever speak of these things again. Those are now considered the dark times, after Lucas went crazy.

I breezed through and noticed nobody caught on about a major characters death in the film, Leia, not Luke or Han. How else does it go from the previous Han SOlo Jr flying the Falcon around to Han SOlo himself flying the Falcon around looking for Luke. Maybe its a bad guy looking to take out the final remaining Rebel leaders while tricking a new generation into believing he is the right person to reform the chaos of the current dysfunctional senate. Insert a young Greedo stealing the hubcaps of a desert speeder...

What's wrong with purple lightsabers?

The way I see it, that there was only one. It was weird that there were no purple (or double) lightsabers given to even background arena jedi in AOTC :/

But I agree with the no balance, midichlorians, and Gungans. Let's just never speak of them from here out...

The way I see it, that there was only one. It was weird that there were no purple (or double) lightsabers given to even background arena jedi in AOTC :/

Sure it's weird but weird does not equal wrong ;) Mara Jade has a purple lightsaber too
Double lightsabers? As in dual bladed? Darth Maul style? Those are according to George something the Sith mainly uses, but what does he know :lol

I always saw “The Force” as this spectrum of “universal living energy” that is supposed to be completely neutral, but it’s the emotional conduit used by the nature of its supplicant that taints its range, which then helps to strengthen certain biological and behavioural reflexes and traits within that individual.
Using the same mental impulses each time strengthens that “force performance muscle” so in the end it comes to wholly dominate and limit those responses’ set within an individuals psyche.
So Sith use anger and adrenaline to draw excessive strength and aggression quicker from the “darker” end, and fight reflexively but with intense ferocity. The Jedi use training and observation to help pace and think their way through combat.
I always saw it like the difference between a berserker and a trained soldier. A berserker becomes a danger to everyone around him because he simply is running on madness, but a trained soldier chooses his way of fighting for each situation and controls it.
The midichlorians were a rather weaker attempt to explain why some people could tap into it and others couldn’t ,based on real cell biology ie actual mitochondria (go look them up on Wikipedia for an explanation).
Those with more midies in them were able to access this “lifeforce” energy, whilst others that didn’t ,couldn’t. But as they also generate higher concentration of the Force internally than other living things , to become powerful with it and attract more of it from the naturally occurring background ,they had to be taught how to access it properly otherwise its just remains an unused potential.
Which is why some people are just never sensed by others (even their Daddy Darths),even if they are “strong with the force” and why its hereditary and runs more strongly in certain families. Once you understand its there though and can be reached by “willing it”, it becomes this reinforcement loop, the more you draw on it, the more it pours through, until eventually the mind and body overtaxes itself, which is why everyone, even Yoda gets tired.
But it’s the actual choice of that mental pathway that the Force users make that determines the difference between the “light and the dark” sides. Anyway thats how I've always tried to rationalise it.

I would be annoyed to see somebody “die” early to give the story for SW VII motivation, though I’ve got to admit JJ does like to do this in his films, particularly with the female characters.
They are faced with the reverse situation of the Marvel franchise in that they are starting off with the tent pole “Avengers” film first and then presumably introducing the standalones as “single character” pieces later. Whilst with Marvel it was all built up ,very successfully , the other way around.

Killing Luke would be an act of madness. Luke Skywalker, even in middle age would have plenty of adventures left in him as THE JEDI MASTER even outside of the next new trilogy arc and Mark H is a great actor , with a few good years ahead of him I hope . The original trilogy was his story and to waste him like that would be beyond comprehension, given just how pivitol he is to the Jedi future.
I could see him like Nick Fury, bringing stability and a connection through from the OT to the newer key characters and storylines in the new series, a constant presence that links all the other films together. I can’t see that Mark H would object to that amount of work over the next ten years . There is literally no other character that could do it, and it would please us older fan boys to keep Luke in there whilst also allowing the franchise to mature with a key figure “directing“ the storylines progress over a dozen or so films.
Leia, well ,again it would be a waste of Carrie to kill her. We don’t really know how she has matured into her “force powers” and she might yet surprise us. You could do a lot with her character with a bit of thought.
I’d go for Han, arguably the least essential person to the overall future storyline structure plus Harrison is far older than the others, he’s probably also got the next IndiannaJones hanging around as well.
If wereally want more of Han go back a few decades to the OT and use Benedict Cumberbatch(they looked like father and son on Graham Norton http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3Og2CzpAFg anyway) to play him running around in the bad old days of the Empire. Or get that Boba Fett film done, or upgrade him into the next trilogy, by getting his “mask” (helmet) passed on like the Dread Pirate Roberts or Batman. The character lives, it doesn’t matter “who” it is beneath the mask. I could see a sweet version of that film where an older Boba retires and hands on the "Dented Helmet".

Last edited:

The Ancient Fear sure smells like Sith to me and that bugs me. I want to see Star Wars not Jedi/Sith wars. I want it to go back to more like it was in the original movie--there was a galactic war going on and the Jedi/Sith thing was really kind of the side story.

I don't know. Remember, it's ancient FEAR...not ancient enemy......that says to me something from fables, legends, old lore type stuff........something parents scared their kids with. And now it seems the threat is very real....

I don't know...that sort of thing.

Rich

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back