Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Well it's a thought to consider,he could conceivably try to save Han and Leia and get killed,then Han,Leia,their kids and Luke's will carry into the fight over the next two films.

And no reason that's it for Luke,he'd be around as a ghost for the whole trip,like Obi-Wan was;that would honestly let Ford bring all he can out of Solo,imagine him as the commander of ALL the republic forces? maybe fighting a Sith army? (face it the Sith are gonna be a part of this being the only real bad guys) that...would be cool if done right.

I know it had been rumored in the Arndt script that "something" terrible happens (Han and/or Leia are killed?) and the Solo kid(s?) have to go off and find reclusive Uncle Luke who had withdrawn from the galactic spotlight for some unknown reason. Of course there had been another rumor that Luke originally was to be killed in the first 10 minutes of the movie to provide a shocker to the audience, so who knows. Even if any of that is true, Abrams and Kasdan have supposedly reworked the script so it's anyone's guess. I don't like the idea of Luke being killed early but I wouldn't have a problem with him living in isolation and being moved to reemerge to finally fulfill his destiny to "pass on what he has learned", per Yoda's wishes. Regardless, I have a sneaking suspicion that we won't see Luke until a good ways in and possibly not even until the end and it sounds like ol Han and the new cast will get the primary focus in the first movie.

I'm not as keen on Ford being more of a lead over Hamill and Fisher. It kind of takes away from the Star Wars saga being about the Skywalker family... even if one or more the young cast is a Skywalker, I just think Luke (and even Leia) should be a bit more prominent. Making Solo more of a "star" seems to just be capitalizing on Ford's post-Star Wars success.

I would tend to agree that this could be their thinking, but does the movie really need it? I mean, it's STAR WARS. The brand alone puts butts in the seats. I really hope the Ford rumor isn't true. I love Harrison Ford as an actor, and yes he has star power, but that doesn't mean he should get top billing over everyone else.

I like the idea of Luke passing on what he learned and then becoming one with the force. I really want to see it go that way, but I think people would complain JJ was just copying the original Star Wars.

I think we will see Luke doing that, but not in this movie.

That kind of symmetry IS very much STAR WARS.

And it is becoming abundantly clear they are going back to Tatooine.

TheForce.net: Report From The Abu Dhabi Set Of Episode VII: A 'Whole World' In The Desert

That's mildly anoying--Tatooine is the busiest, most significant backwater in history haha. HOWEVER, it was also make it immediately feel like Star Wars. I remember leaning over to my wife during the first viewing of TPM when they entered Mos Espa and saying "NOW it feels like a Star Wars movie." (This was after my initial comment that "Oh god, this feels like Batman and Robin :lol)

That kind of symmetry IS very much STAR WARS.

There's a big difference between symmetry and outright copying ANH, not to mention spitting in the face of Yoda by holing himself away never to emerge again. Obi-Wan was hiding away on Tatooine ONLY because it was necessary after the rise of the Empire. After ROTJ there's presumably no reason for that kind of extreme caution. I'm not saying Luke should be as he is in the EU, living on Coruscant and being very prominent in all the goings-on in the galaxy, but he shouldn't be completely alone, where nobody knows where he is (including his own family apparently), and doing nothing but meditating.

There's a big difference between symmetry and outright copying ANH, not to mention spitting in the face of Yoda by holing himself away never to emerge again. Obi-Wan was hiding away on Tatooine ONLY because it was necessary after the rise of the Empire. After ROTJ there's presumably no reason for that kind of extreme caution. I'm not saying Luke should be as he is in the EU, living on Coruscant and being very prominent in all the goings-on in the galaxy, but he shouldn't be completely alone, where nobody knows where he is (including his own family apparently), and doing nothing but meditating.

In regards to Yoda, Luke pretty much did the opposite of everything Yoda wanted him to do, i.e. kill his father, don't save his friends, ect. So I don't think Luke spending 30 years in seclusion, allowing the Force to remain in balance is spitting in Yoda's request to pass on what he has learned. Luke isn't dead yet, he still can. And although he couldn't wait to leave, Tatooine is is home, it is familiar and although we all want to leave home in our youth, we often find comfort there in our older years.

Last edited:

I agree that having everyone 'find uncle Luke' would be a blatant rip-off of ANH. Why does Luke have to be hiding anywhere? They destroyed the Empire. If anything, Luke should be right there with the Republic teaching the Force to a new generation.

I don't think he should be in hiding, and if he was, it better not be Tattooine- he's said multiple times he hates that place!

It would make more sense if he's not hiding, and everyone believes everything's OK-- assuming that rumored title, The Ancient Fear, is accurate

I'm not convinced Abu Dhabi is supposed to be Tatooine. There's got to me more desert in the galaxy than just that planet (e.g. Geonosis). I think the AT-AT foot, assuming that's what's in that set photo, kind of suggests otherwise since the Imperial presence on Tatooine, as of ANH at least, is so slight I doubt there was any battles there that would leave behind something like that. So I'm guessing, and hoping if I'm being honest, that it's some other planet that we haven't seen before.

I'm not convinced Abu Dhabi is supposed to be Tatooine. There's got to me more desert in the galaxy than just that planet (e.g. Geonosis). I think the AT-AT foot, assuming that's what's in that set photo, kind of suggests otherwise since the Imperial presence on Tatooine, as of ANH at least, is so slight I doubt there was any battles there that would leave behind something like that. So I'm guessing, and hoping if I'm being honest, that it's some other planet that we haven't seen before.

Possibly, for sure. There were sufficient intervening years between ANH and the fall of the Empire to have a more sizable military presence on Tatooine, though, and we only saw a small portion of the planet in the OT.

True, but are you going to care more about a planet when you don't rule the galaxy if you don't care all that much about it when you do? I suppose if your desperate enough you can take a backwater planet as a last resort, but it would seem a little pointless at that point.

True, but are you going to care more about a planet when you don't rule the galaxy if you don't care all that much about it when you do? I suppose if your desperate enough you can take a backwater planet as a last resort, but it would seem a little pointless at that point.

Or that we accept Luke's off hand comment about Tatooine being a backwater planet at face value. But the films seem to return to Tatooine a lot and perhaps there is meaning in that.

...-- assuming that rumored title, The Ancient Fear, is accurate
Its a working title and not necessarily the official title... wasn't the working title for Revenge of the Sith The Creeping Fear ? I know back in march 2004 that was one of the rumored titles for the film... seems familiar doesn't it? :D

Last edited:

...I'm just concerned that this might just be because Ford had the most successful career. (That said, Ford may arguably be the better actor and more suited to carry the new movie/trilogy)...
Whether Ford is a better actor than Hamill, or vice versa, is subject to opinion. And for an actor of Ford's calibur, Han Solo wasn't really much of a stretch in the Original Trilogy. Solo's a great character, but it's not too difficult to play a cynical, wisecracking anti-hero, especially considering the way Lucas wrote him and the way Solo was diminished to not much more than comic relief by Return of the Jedi. My guess is they had to give Ford a role that he could really sink his teeth into in order to convince him to sign on, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he brings to the character in the upcoming movie(s).

As for Hamill and his portrayal of Luke, for me that's one of the most interesting things about the Original Trilogy movies and one of the reasons I can watch them repeatedly. In the span of three movies Hamill (and Lucas' writing) takes Luke from a whiny farm boy to a struggling and impulsive reluctant hero to a relatively calm, controlled, and deliberate Jedi Master, and I think Hamill played these character changes brilliantly and believably.

That said, as long as they come up with a strong story I have no problem with Han Solo becoming more prominent in the upcoming movies, perhaps even taking the lead. But, again, it has to serve a strong story or it could easily come off as pandering to the "more bankable" actor.

Luke my not be "hiding out" but he may tuck himself away somewhere away from the hustle of the galaxy to restart the Jedi,like I've said the Jedi may not be the big thing they once were after all the mess of the war
also Luke might want to take the Jedi in a different direction then before and NOT being on Coruscant may be a part of that.

Another thing to keep in mind and that what looks like an AT-AT foot brings this up:what if after ROJ the war didn't​ end? what if it dragged on for another few years? what if the remaining Empire not only fought back but committed some major atrocities to try and hold on to power? so you may have bits and pieces all over from that.

Really with a blank slate start for the next set of films we could be taken in a dozen directions.

Luke my not be "hiding out" but he may tuck himself away somewhere away from the hustle of the galaxy to restart the Jedi

So, you're suggesting he pulls a Yoda (except without the whole, we created a monster bit). :lol

what if after ROJ the war didn't​ end? what if it dragged on for another few years? what if the remaining Empire not only fought back but committed some major atrocities to try and hold on to power? so you may have bits and pieces all over from that.

very well could be. there would be a sudden grasp for power.. .someone would want to seize control of the imperial assets and retain control of military power and wealth... (if Tarkin was still alive this is something he would do) I'm not sure if Lucas intended for the fleet that was at the battle of Endor to be all of the imperial fleet. I wouldn't think that would be everything they had. so the death star was destroyed yet again and this time the emperor and vader with it but there is always someone with high aspirations and greed. I doubt they would all just raise a white flag and wait to be arrested or just set free to fend for themselves after the battle... didn't have to be the final battle.. was just the end of the Jedi/Sith balance of the force prophecy. I can easily see that the rebel alliance would still have to deal with imperial holdouts. Just as so many Al Qaeda/Taliban leaders have been defeated Taliban still attempt to carry on.

You have to admit the Jedi done buggered up and after Luke gets a look at the records he may just think they need to go back to their roots so to speak and decides to base them somewhere out of the way.

Also with the time that has passed...he may have established a new order well enough that he takes time to go do his own thing and that might be having a home base on Tatooine.

I prefer this idea that he builds the Jedi order out of the way... not only to train new but to rethink the whole thing... the jedi had been around for over a 1000 years.. he is only a jedi for 30 years at this point with a blank slate.

You have to admit the Jedi done buggered up and after Luke gets a look at the records he may just think they need to go back to their roots so to speak and decides to base them somewhere out of the way.

Also with the time that has passed...he may have established a new order well enough that he takes time to go do his own thing and that might be having a home base on Tatooine.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back