Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

The biggest news from that a spring/summer 2015 release date

A bit misleading in the title. I don't think they are hinting that Vader will be returning in VII, but instead there will be some TV shows with a Vader theme. Its unclear if they are Star Wars based, or just their regular shows that will somehow try to tie in an episode that mentions/references Vader in some fashion during the episode

J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan Taking Over Writing Duties on 'Star Wars: Episode VII' | Variety

Hadn't seen the Funny or Die video by Michael Arndt until now :lol.

So looks like he wrote a 40-50 page treatment which will be expanded by Kasdan and Abrams.

Arndt Off STAR WARS VII, Kasdan And Abrams Are The New Writers | Badass Digest
Devin at BAD suggests it's a complete re-write. Check the article above and make your own judgement.

EricVespe: "I've heard from sources that those who read Arndt's EpVII draft thought it was pure Star Wars and fantastic. Apparently Abrams disagreed."

Wasn't the movie supposed to start principal photography in early 2014? But yeah, better late than a rushed film.

Last edited:

Great!!! Looks like Vader will be back in some alternate reality non sense and all players will be replaced by young Hollywood actors. Star Wars 90210.

since its now officially public knowledge, one has to keep in mind how much marketing (toys, burger franchise adverts, bandaids...) has come into play on a SW film. If one were to oppose, say 50% of said written in marketing for sake of actual story should one be looked upon as "worrisome" of involvement? Here you have a true to heart SW geek fighting to have the new films made near as possible to the originals in as many ways possible. Its amazing the suits havent just told him to bugger off right out of the gate.

since its now officially public knowledge, one has to keep in mind how much marketing (toys, burger franchise adverts, bandaids...) has come into play on a SW film. If one were to oppose, say 50% of said written in marketing for sake of actual story should one be looked upon as "worrisome" of involvement? Here you have a true to heart SW geek fighting to have the new films made near as possible to the originals in as many ways possible. Its amazing the suits havent just told him to bugger off right out of the gate.

Rob...you drinking? Cause I have no idea what you are trying to say here. :)

Sigh. I knew something like this would happen. I guess I can kiss that potential female protagonist hope goodbye.

in regards to those expressing worry over JJ.

I know he's a big Star Wars fan. It shows in his Star Trek movies. That's not really my concern. I've found his storytelling to be...decent, but not particularly amazing. But then, maybe long-form television isn't his strongest medium, and maybe these movies will fare better. I'd hope that working with Kasdan will help.

Sigh. I knew something like this would happen. I guess I can kiss that potential female protagonist hope goodbye.

I'd rather not see starwars turn into another film with a sexy chick kicking ass, there's already so many of those. I want it to feel like the old films.

If nothing else, this thread proves that Star Wars is different things to different fans. We don't really know J.J.'s motives or reasons for re-writing the script with Kasdan (if that's actually what's happening), so we can only hope it's because Arndt's script was somehow off-the-mark and that it's not because it didn't match Abrams' "vision" of what Star Wars is.

As for marketing, if anyone involved is using that as the basis for the movie they may as well pack up and go home now. They can plan to make all of the Star Wars themed toys, lunchboxes, bath towels, condoms, dairy products, septic tanks, and prosthetic limbs they want, but if the movie bombs they'll all languish on the shelves of whichever big-box outlet has purchased them for pennies on the dollar.

As for marketing, if anyone involved is using that as the basis for the movie they may as well pack up and go home now. They can plan to make all of the Star Wars themed toys, lunchboxes, bath towels, condoms, dairy products, septic tanks, and prosthetic limbs they want, but if the movie bombs they'll all languish on the shelves of whichever big-box outlet has purchased them for pennies on the dollar.

The prequel trilogy was based on marketing. The never to be aired preliminary tv series pilots were based on marketing if they were to go to series.

With how things are looking to be done, practical sets, model miniatures, practical locations, shot on film, minimal CGI only used to enhance... Id be amazed if the film were to see a 2015 release if even its a Christmas 2015 date.

Here is a generic challenge, watch the first Mission Impossible movie then go right to MI3. MI makes me crack up yet MI3 was so good it was remade as MI4.

thank you! :thumbsup
I don't know, I love STAR WARS, all of it. Some is better then others but I love the movies, read the books, watched CLONE WARS. I can do so while still appreciating the failings of some of the content. I have STAR WARS props and models scattered around my home (well, in a few closets where the wife has relegated them) and as a 45 year old father of a 7 month old, can't wait to share that experience with him. I have no connection with fans who get so angry about the property they feel compelled to abandon it. I respect their point of view, it's just very odd to me. When I saw ANH in 1977, I was just short of my ninth Birthday and it was magic. Somehow I can always see the magic in it since.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back