Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

As far as I'm concerned, it's good news too. I'll gladly take the guy who wrote 2 of the greatest movies of all time(The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of the Lost Ark) over the guy who wrote Little Miss Sunshine. :thumbsup

I don't know, I love STAR WARS, all of it. Some is better then others but I love the movies, read the books, watched CLONE WARS. I can do so while still appreciating the failings of some of the content. I have STAR WARS props and models scattered around my home (well, in a few closets where the wife has relegated them) and as a 45 year old father of a 7 month old, can't wait to share that experience with him. I have no connection with fans who get so angry about the property they feel compelled to abandon it. I respect their point of view, it's just very odd to me. When I saw ANH in 1977, I was just short of my ninth Birthday and it was magic. Somehow I can always see the magic in it since.

I wouldn't say I'm angry, or that I've abandoned Star Wars, it's just that the part of Star Wars I'm most fond of, the original unaltered movies, have not gotten the treatment they deserve. I don't belive any of the new Star Wars material would be as popular if not for those original movies. I think the vast majority of special edition changes ruin the movies. The only SE change I like is the improvenents to cloud city.

The new stuff just doesn't feel like Star Wars to me.

James Bond has changed over the years, but still feels like James Bond. This new Star Wars stuff is the equivalent of the next James Bond being played by Justin Beiber.

I would give my left n*t to get a Star Wars film that could take me back to the level of excitement I had in the summer of '77. But we all know that just ain't gonna happen.

Come to think of it, I don't think ANY film has done that to me since then.

In my opinion, the originals made money because they were entertaining movies. They new stuff makes money because it has the Star Wars name, despite a decline in quality of entertainment.

From interviews I've seen of JJ, I think he "gets" Star Wars and will at least attempt to return to what made it great. I'm not sure if he will be successfull in doing so, but I'm ready to jump on the hype bandwagon as soon as any official info comes out. I'm going all in on Episode VII.

In my opinion, the originals made money because they were entertaining movies. They new stuff makes money because it has the Star Wars name, despite a decline in quality of entertainment.

BINGO. You've also just described Hollywood's new business model: slap a well-known name on an otherwise mediocre product, and rake in the dough.

From interviews I've seen of JJ, I think he "gets" Star Wars and will at least attempt to return to what made it great. I'm not sure if he will be successfull in doing so, but I'm ready to jump on the hype bandwagon as soon as any official info comes out. I'm going all in on Episode VII.

From watching his Star Trek films, I think JJ is far more of a Star Wars fan. However, from a pure storytelling perspective, his films have been a bit...haphazard. Also, loving a product doesn't mean you're able to do it justice. All that said, while JJ makes me wary, I'd hope that Kasdan's guidance -- and hopefully JJ's humilty in dealing with the project -- will lead to ultimately a solid collaborative effort. At the very least, it'll be far less the work of an "auteur" the way the PT was.

If the story wasn't coming together the way "it should" and JJ wasn't confident in it, then he wouldn't feel comfortable filming it. Better they take what they got, and start over, than to film something that they weren't happy with.

Well there are some conflicting reports as to what is going on here.

Some folks allegedly in "the know" are saying that Arndt's treatment is simply getting tweaked by Abrams and Kasdan (like the official LFL statements imply). Others are saying that his treatment was completely tossed and they essentially started over from scratch, complete with different characters. All of this would have supposedly happened months ago. Apparently Arndt's treatment was considered by some to be a "pandering, apology tour" for the prequels and presumably tried to address or sideline aspects of the PT. However Kasdan and Abrams were concerned about alienating prequel fans.

Personally, I've been lukewarm about Abrams' involvement in SW since the beginning, and I'm a more than a little leery about him taking over writing duties. I like the fact that Kasdan was involved in writing two of the OT movies but has he done anything since then that would inspire confidence? Assuming the scuttlebutt about Arndt's treatment is true and considering how I thought the prequels left a "little" to be desired, right now I'm not so sure it's a good thing Arndt is out of the picture. I'd be fine if the PT was swept under the rug, to some extent at least.

I wouldn't say I'm angry, or that I've abandoned Star Wars, it's just that the part of Star Wars I'm most fond of, the original unaltered movies, have not gotten the treatment they deserve. I don't belive any of the new Star Wars material would be as popular if not for those original movies. I think the vast majority of special edition changes ruin the movies. The only SE change I like is the improvenents to cloud city.

The new stuff just doesn't feel like Star Wars to me.

James Bond has changed over the years, but still feels like James Bond. This new Star Wars stuff is the equivalent of the next James Bond being played by Justin Beiber.

Exactly! Not liking or tolerating everything with the Star Wars name on it is not abandoning it or being angry it's choosing to be more discerning and to not blindly accept something simply because of its connection to something you love.

I saw every OT movie on opening day and each of those movies had a magic to them (not so much in the case of ROTJ) that was not present in the Christmas Special, or Droids, or Ewoks, or the Ewok TV movies, or the PT or Clone Wars. This still does not prevent me from getting a tingly feeling the first time I hear of a new Star Wars movie project or give me hope that they will find that magic once again.

How could you alienate Prequel fans? You could have Luke change whatever and say he figured out the Republic Jedi had everything wrong and that's why they didn't see the Sith coming. Are Prequel fans really going to be upset if the Jedi Temple is somewhere else, the Jedi don't use Covertec clip attachments for their sabers, etc? Or... Oh dear god I hope that doesn't mean he feels the need to include Jar Jar!

it's alright. they just going in with a red marker and scribbling out any mention of mara jade that arndt tried to sneak in there....

How could you alienate Prequel fans? You could have Luke change whatever and say he figured out the Republic Jedi had everything wrong and that's why they didn't see the Sith coming. Are Prequel fans really going to be upset if the Jedi Temple is somewhere else, the Jedi don't use Covertec clip attachments for their sabers, etc? Or... Oh dear god I hope that doesn't mean he feels the need to include Jar Jar!

Yeah, that rumored reason for the changes seems unlikely. These new film are so far removed from the prequels in time alone there is little they could draw upon beyond some broad themes.

GL and his "vision" of storytelling and retconning = extremely "clunky"
JJA and LK = hopfully "smooth"

And I agree, rush job = bad mojo

Lucas: "You need some comedy relief, I had this idea, it's a clunky robot called JR-JR Blinks..."
Abrams: "Yeah, I think I better take over writing this..."

Hmm, if true, maybe it was something along these lines:

Han: Well, Chewie, at least you're not an annoying, barely coherent amphibian.
Chewie: ArrrrAAARRRghhharrrrgh!
Han: Eloquently said ol' pal.

Luke: Soooo I was just looking through some old temple security tapes a few days ago and found footage of a Jedi calling himself Qui-gon Jinn rambling on about some ridiculous notion that we are infected with symbiotic Force germs called midichlorians? The more we have, the more powerful we are?! Wha?! Why didn't you tell me anything about this?!
Yoda's Ghost: Uh, forget you ever saw that you will! Teerrrible Jedi was he! Terrible Jedi...
Luke:...

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back