Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Zahn books were supposedly around 5 years after ROTJ weren't they? Hard to fit movies made 30 years later in prior to that.

:lol Didn't even think of that. Yeah no way you're having Luke, Han, etc. then. It would still work at the current time in the timeline. They could skip certain things and probably wouldn't even make a dent in the EU.

I really liked the Rouge Squadron books. But I want them to ignore everything about the extended universe.
The original trilogy never really gave much backstory, what they did give was more about creating a sense of mystery than actually explaining how things got to where they were. That's what they should do this time. Don't put any effort into explaining anything, just start us off into the next story.
They didn't need to explain how the rebels ended up with a base on Hoth, we just accepted it.
They should not even explicitly tell us how many years have passed between the films.
Leave things for us to figure out and come up with our own explanations for.
Make us too engrossed in the new film to even think about some book we read.

I really liked the Rouge Squadron books. But I want them to ignore everything about the extended universe.
The original trilogy never really gave much backstory, what they did give was more about creating a sense of mystery than actually explaining how things got to where they were. That's what they should do this time. Don't put any effort into explaining anything, just start us off into the next story.
They didn't need to explain how the rebels ended up with a base on Hoth, we just accepted it.
They should not even explicitly tell us how many years have passed between the films.

100 % agree

Awesome opening Scrawl and then action right away... That's Star Wars

First off, it's the Expanded Universe. Get yo' terminology right!

Secondly, I don't get the whole "Mystery is always better than stories" mindset. I agree that there should be mystery about some things... the force for example. I disagree with people saying that knowing about Boba Fett's backstory "ruins" the character. I, for one, love the EU. I just eat it up. I love that it is all ONE continuity. Anyway, I can still be engrossed and JJ could still make a good movie with the EU being preserved.

I consider myself a decent SW fan but I fully admit I don't know anything about the EU as I've never been interested in anything SW that wasn't a movie, even if the new movies contained nods to the EU it would go right over my head. I've always been of the mindset "In the movies or it didn't happen" then the prequels came out and my mindset changed to "The original trilogy or it didn't happen".

To see a movie with OT characters, OT ship designs and a few old ships we are familiar with would mean I'm watching what I consider to be a Star Wars movie. I want to come out the movie theater thinking "Holy **** I just saw a Star Wars movie!" that feeling hasn't happened since I saw ROTJ in 82 when I was 2 years old, and yes I still remember it!

The new movie probably wont live up to my expectations and to be honest I don't think it could anyway, I just want to see something that really is a Star Wars movie, something to take me back to being that two year old, just for 90 mins, that would be enough.

Secondly, I don't get the whole "Mystery is always better than stories" mindset. I agree that there should be mystery about some things... the force for example. I disagree with people saying that knowing about Boba Fett's backstory "ruins" the character. I, for one, love the EU. I just eat it up. I love that it is all ONE continuity. Anyway, I can still be engrossed and JJ could still make a good movie with the EU being preserved.

Here here!

Said it before but it's worth saying again and again, I too want to see the "old" ships back, X-Wings, Tie-Fighters and the rest. It might not have the soul of Star Wars but the least they could do is make it look like Star Wars.

"Holy **** I just saw a Star Wars movie!" that feeling hasn't happened since I saw ROTJ in 82 when I was 2 years old, and yes I still remember it!

A bit weird seeing as how it was released in '83 ;)

Boba Fett's backstory "ruins" the character.

If you take into account the prequel trilogy it kind of does. Empire Strikes Back was the only one he was interesting in and it was exactly because he was an unknown quantity.
I think that not following side stories that are in the books and comics will also allow the lesser parts of the movie series to be ignored.
They will take occasional little details from existing stories and blur them into something completely different.
Disney would not have spent $4 billion on the franchise only to restrict themselves from altering it.
I'm looking forward to seeing something new.

I consider myself a decent SW fan but I fully admit I don't know anything about the EU as I've never been interested in anything SW that wasn't a movie, even if the new movies contained nods to the EU it would go right over my head. I've always been of the mindset "In the movies or it didn't happen" then the prequels came out and my mindset changed to "The original trilogy or it didn't happen".

To see a movie with OT characters, OT ship designs and a few old ships we are familiar with would mean I'm watching what I consider to be a Star Wars movie. I want to come out the movie theater thinking "Holy **** I just saw a Star Wars movie!" that feeling hasn't happened since I saw ROTJ in 82 when I was 2 years old, and yes I still remember it!

The new movie probably wont live up to my expectations and to be honest I don't think it could anyway, I just want to see something that really is a Star Wars movie, something to take me back to being that two year old, just for 90 mins, that would be enough.

I look at the EU exactly the same, I have no interest in it,......just the movies, and recently.....well since around 2005, I've decided to ignore the PT.

J

I would LOVE to see the old classic ships, but I also understand there needs to be some different ships out there. Still, I am sure we'll be seeing some classic tie-ins.

I'm confident in the crew working on this film that they will deliver the goods. :thumbsup

Said it before but it's worth saying again and again, I too want to see the "old" ships back, X-Wings, Tie-Fighters and the rest. It might not have the soul of Star Wars but the least they could do is make it look like Star Wars.
Yeah they have to have the old ships, they're the main characters ;)

If you take into account the prequel trilogy it kind of does. Empire Strikes Back was the only one he was interesting in and it was exactly because he was an unknown quantity.
I think that not following side stories that are in the books and comics will also allow the lesser parts of the movie series to be ignored.
They will take occasional little details from existing stories and blur them into something completely different.
Disney would not have spent $4 billion on the franchise only to restrict themselves from altering it.
I'm looking forward to seeing something new.

I don't really agree.

Buying it to just be able to freely use it in their parks (or create new ones I hope) and just the licensing itself would turn a profit inside 7 years i'd wager.

So buying only to alter it makes no real sense financially.

I don't see them stepping on the existing movies or the clone wars, but anything else I think is fair game because it was fair game before it was sold. I like the books and read all of them up until the first license change - that was like 15-20 books IIRC. IF they choose to ignore them, fine with me. Doesn't take away the pleasure i had reading them in the first place. But I knew going in that any potential future movies wouldn't necissarily be based on the books or make it to the books. The movies were canon and the books were not. Doesn't mean i didn't like them, but i'm a realist as well.

He's probably thinking Star Trek WOK! :lol

I'd like to see a mix of new AND old ships personally. Certainly not all the same exact ships as there was in the OT, because you'd think after 30 years or whatever they'd start designing some new stuff. Don't fix what's not broken, but don't let that stop you from letting the creative juices flowing and making something new. After fighting an evil Empire for 25 years, they'd be in need of a renaissance to move beyond those dark times.

Jennifer Landa's got a point...

...but on the other hand, there have been a few things in the past that I when I first saw it I thought it was just a silly rumour, or something thrown together in Photoshop by a fan. Prime examples: the Hayden Christensen Anakin force ghost on the ROTJ DVD and Palpatine's make-up in Episode 3.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back