Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

You know, I started watching that video, expecting to feel annoyed and to write up a snarky response. I have my reasons to criticise Abrams, and those still remain...but he does seem like a pretty cool and easy-going guy. And I'm glad to hear that his wife is on his case about lens flare and he knows it's a problem. I did find that it was much toned down in STID. Here's hoping it doesn't appear in Star Wars VII.

Harrison Ford Talk s Star Wars again! But i have no idea what he says because the french translation covers his voice...can anyone translate this?

[video=dailymotion;x15f2oz]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15f2oz_harrison-ford-je-n-ai-jamais-dit-que-je-ferai-star-wars-vii_news[/video]

That's awesome! A director that actually LISTENS, INTERNALIZES AND CHANGES his view/style because of his fans?....Now that is a good director/film maker. George?...oh George, if only you didn't have little mans complex and have all those suck ups circling around you. Oh well, leave it to real film makers to make your films good.

Harrison Ford Talk s Star Wars again! But i have no idea what he says because the french translation covers his voice...can anyone translate this?

Harrison Ford : "Je n’ai jamais dit que je ferai Star Wars VII" - Vidéo Dailymotion

Basically what he said is that he always signed seperately for the 3 movies of the OT and that "nothing's official yet" (*smiling*). The interviewer asks if it's just journalists extrapolating, or fans wishing for him to be in Ep. VII, and he answers "you'll see"...

im sorry if I upset anyone but star wars with no darth vader in my opinion is no good I knw the last trilogy had no vader till the last one but we all knew he was coming that's the only reason I gave it a go sorry just my opinion lol

they might stop short of retconning it out of existence but the new movies will not be based on it.
there will be no thrawn.
there will be no mara jade.
no emperor clones.

The EU began long before Thrawn and Mara Jade. While I agree that certain chunks of the EU were garbage (like the Emperor's clones and the Yuuzhan Vong), I'd point out that some of the coolest story's and characters also came from it.

And if you think they're going to do ANYTHING to screw with the EU, which is what basically drove the Star Wars universe from 1983 to 1999.....you're delusional. The EU has almost certainly made more money for the Star Wars brand than all 6 movies combined - and that's not to mention that it keeps the brand hot and relevant during all the dry periods between theatrical releases.

I could go on and on but it's just my opinion so I'll shut up. lol

...And if you think they're going to do ANYTHING to screw with the EU, which is what basically drove the Star Wars universe from 1983 to 1999.....

The EU has almost certainly made more money for the Star Wars brand than all 6 movies combined...

In my opinion, it was the greatness of the original movies that kept the franchise going, and continues to do so. I can't imagine the EU bringing in anywhere near what the actual movies have.

I would be shocked beyond measure if they used anything out of the EU, and I'm a fan of a lot of it. George ignored it for the most part for the prequels, cherry-picking a few things that he liked of course. I think when it comes down to it, the EU was written for fans of Star Wars specifically and these new movies will be made with a vision toward pulling in new people rather than appeasing the hard core crowd. They already have our money (as far as they're concerned), so they will not likely be hamstringing themselves by adhering to much of the EU fiction in my opinion.

There was nothing written about the time yet for him to pick from. And anything written about the Old Republic was basically fill in the gaps type stuff that actually did fit in, for the most part anyway, with the story told in the PT. And let's not forget the name for the capital planet of the galaxy, which was originally to be named Alderaan, and the Aayla Secura character were both taken from the EU, among many other things (see List of C-canon elements in the films - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki)

So there is precedence for the EU to leak into the films. Besides, how hard can it be to write the film you want to write and still use pre-established things. If they're going to give Han and Leia kids, why not name them Jacen and Jaina? If they're going to give Luke a wife, why not name her Mara Jade? And so on and so forth.

I would be shocked beyond measure if they used anything out of the EU, and I'm a fan of a lot of it. George ignored it for the most part for the prequels, cherry-picking a few things that he liked of course. I think when it comes down to it, the EU was written for fans of Star Wars specifically and these new movies will be made with a vision toward pulling in new people rather than appeasing the hard core crowd. They already have our money (as far as they're concerned), so they will not likely be hamstringing themselves by adhering to much of the EU fiction in my opinion.
i reckon from what has been officialy stated by the producers and makers of these new films, your opinion is pretty much fact.

Last edited:

Personally, I've long thought Jacen (with a "c"!) and Jaina were terrible names so my feelings wouldn't be hurt if Lucasfilm decided not to use them! lol! At most, I think what ever EU material we'll see in these new movies will be limited to a few passing nods. Some supposed insiders claim there won't be any EU material used at all, a complete blank slate, but we'll see.

So there is precedence for the EU to leak into the films. Besides, how hard can it be to write the film you want to write and still use pre-established things. If they're going to give Han and Leia kids, why not name them Jacen and Jaina? If they're going to give Luke a wife, why not name her Mara Jade? And so on and so forth.

Well, two reasons. First, it'll only serve to distract and irritate the existing fans. "WTF? They named her Mara Jade, but she's a blonde, she worked as a REBEL spy during the war, and she can't use the Force?! Why bother naming her that at all?!?!"

Second, if you DO start following the character design from the books, you start yourself down a slippery slope of cherry picking only specific elements to use, and that also calls into question how MUCH you use. So, if Mara's included, does that mean that her whole backstory -- including everything that would've led up to the timeline point where the EU and VII break -- is included, too? Or does she only have specific elements, in which case what happened before?

It just gets too complicated, and it's easier to just say "The EU didn't happen. We're moving on."

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back