Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

It would be best to include the original cast in a matter of fact of manner, not calling attention to their appearance too much. Lose the self-awareness of, "HEEEEEERE'S LUKE!". Just work them into the story, and have them come and go as a commonplace part of that world without much fanfare, unless it's a dramatic scene.

Couldn't the Emporer just appear as a force ghost? Maybe to a new apprentice he had in mind. After all he may have decided Vader had bungled things enough after losing the Death Star and letting the rebels escape from Hoth and it was time to start thinking about a replacement

But why, though? Why use him at all? He's dead. Gone. Defeated. What's the point in bringing him back?

But why, though? Why use him at all? He's dead. Gone. Defeated. What's the point in bringing him back?

Exactly. He's dead. Move on. The Emperor seems to have hedged his bets and had backup plans. Likely that there would be another, if not numerous dark side users. Not Sith Masters, but dark side users who might try to reform the Sith and The Empire the same way that the rebels would be trying to reform the Republic.

It just seems kinda lacking in vision to me. Like, the only villain Bond can ever fight is Blofeld. Or if the only guy Superman is ever allowed to fight in the movies is Zod. From here to eternity, every Superman movie will always have Zod in it as the badguy or influencing the badguy or just hanging around calling Supes names and throwing spitballs at him or whatever.

There's no point in bringing the Emperor back. Think about how GOOD the Zahn trilogy was (like, to the point where even EU detractors think it's good) and recognize that Thrawn was neither a Vader clone nor an Emperor clone. For that matter, he wasn't a Dark Side evil jedi either. Nor was C'baoth -- he was just some loony toon clone, rather than a Sith Lord or whathaveyou.

Bringing back old ideas because they're old ideas is a BAD idea.

It's not that I'd want them to bring back the Emperor.

I was merely suggesting that if the rumor of the actor's return is true it could simply be in a small role of a force ghost similar to Obi Wan's helping Luke in the original rather than going down the whole clone route. A nod to the past without having him be the central villian

I agree that going the route of an Admiral Thrawn type would be much more interesting than rehashing the Jedi/Sith route, but I fear that jedi/sith have become such a central part of the story that we will be getting a Sith bad guy.

But that's just it. I know you aren't arguing that this needs to be the case or is a good thing, but there seems to be this pervasive view that all which came before must be repeated. And it's just...false. Inaccurate. The Jedi/Sith thing is NOT intrinsic to Star Wars. It's intrinsic to the PT/OT cycle. That'd be like saying if someone wrote a LOTR sequel that you have to bring back powered rings and Sauron and all the characters who shipped off to the Grey Havens because "It's just not LOTR without them!"

They're right. It's not LOTR, but it could still be Middle Earth. Star Wars is more than just the six movies, and the various characters from them. It's more than just the same old conflicts from those films, too. Or rather, it COULD be more than all that. The problem is that myopic authors and video game creators and fans alike have all come to the conclusion that recycling is the best policy, rather than innovation. It's better to, in my opinion, go for the underlying feel rather than the specific points of the previous films. So, yes, you want a central villain, but no, that villain doesn't have to be (A) the Empire, (B) the Sith, or (C) any agents connected thereto. Yes, you need an ensemble, but no, you do not need it to be dominated by Jedi. Frankly, I find the Jedi to have become some of the most boring characters in the series.

I agree with everything you say Dan, I really do hope that this rumour is partially true...that Ian McDiarmid is back on board to reprise his role as Palpatine/The Emperor in one of the spin off movies.
The next trilogy needs to move on, to explore more of the Star Wars universe away from just Jedi/Sith stories......more smugglers, bounty hunters & scoundrels

J

But that's just it. I know you aren't arguing that this needs to be the case or is a good thing, but there seems to be this pervasive view that all which came before must be repeated. And it's just...false. Inaccurate. The Jedi/Sith thing is NOT intrinsic to Star Wars. It's intrinsic to the PT/OT cycle. That'd be like saying if someone wrote a LOTR sequel that you have to bring back powered rings and Sauron and all the characters who shipped off to the Grey Havens because "It's just not LOTR without them!"

They're right. It's not LOTR, but it could still be Middle Earth. Star Wars is more than just the six movies, and the various characters from them. It's more than just the same old conflicts from those films, too. Or rather, it COULD be more than all that. The problem is that myopic authors and video game creators and fans alike have all come to the conclusion that recycling is the best policy, rather than innovation. It's better to, in my opinion, go for the underlying feel rather than the specific points of the previous films. So, yes, you want a central villain, but no, that villain doesn't have to be (A) the Empire, (B) the Sith, or (C) any agents connected thereto. Yes, you need an ensemble, but no, you do not need it to be dominated by Jedi. Frankly, I find the Jedi to have become some of the most boring characters in the series.

True, you don't need those things, and I think that is why they are talking about having spinoff movies and such with other characters. Heck, I've said before I would watch a police procedural set on Coruscant, or even a sitcom, lol.

...But I WANT lightsaber battles! I think there needs to be a WAR because it is called Star WARS, lol.

Just because there were some very boring Jedi in the prequels, doesn't mean someone else couldn't write a very interesting Jedi character in Episode VII. I don't think being a Jedi was the problem.

I do think it sounds a little too repetitious to have Luke in an OB1 capacity, but I don't really see any way around that. Maybe that is all that will be similar. I don't think we will be sing a third and even more, more powerful deathstar, at least I hope not, lol.

I have a feeling Luke will die early on, and hand the series off to the new generation. That too sounds extremely similar, but everything else could be very different. Hopefully the next generation of characters are interesting and well written, and take it in a whole new direction. Also, I think seeing the end of Luke on screen would be a HUGE deal for people who grew up with Star Wars. I would be fine if I never saw another Indiana Jones movie. I'd rather not know what happened to him, and just let my imagination keep him alive. But I don't think the next group can truly come into their own under Luke's shadow. "The son becomes the father, and the father becomes the son."

Ah, but even then there's the question of "in what capacity?" Luke's version is obvious, but how exactly would Han and Leia "pass the torch"? Would we just have them each training some hotshot new cadet or whatever, each getting a scene saying "Now it's your turn, junior!" or whathaveyou?

I'm not so sure that ALL of them will be passing the torch, so to speak, as much as simply playing a much diminished role (again, assuming they even add all three, if nothing's yet confirmed). But anyway, at this point, it sounds like we just don't have that much info one way or the other.

They're all so OLD that it would take ALL of them to pass the torch, anyway. Hell, it looks like Ford has aged 5 years over the past year. They better shoot his scenes first!

I would actually love to see them in their respective parts again, but tastefully done. Not like the cast reunion in that God-awful KOTCS! I cringe at the scene where Marion is trotted out of the tent with that ****ty, ear to ear smile, like they're running into each other at Walmart. "Hi, Harrison! Long time, no see! Wow, isn't it great that we're together again in this movie and I'm breaking character?!" :sick

Depending on how far past ROTJ the story is going to be (and I think they should go with the current EU timeline, because Hamill, Ford, and Fisher's ages will match) I would like to see a story about them taking on remnants of the Empire, not Sith. It's too early for the Sith to pop up again. I think they could even do an Indy inspired adventure where the new Jedi are out trying to recover lost Jedi artifacts.

Depending on how far past ROTJ the story is going to be (and I think they should go with the current EU timeline, because Hamill, Ford, and Fisher's ages will match) I would like to see a story about them taking on remnants of the Empire, not Sith. It's too early for the Sith to pop up again...
I agree about not bringing the Sith back into the story, but rather than another "Jedi vs the Empire" story I'd rather they bring it all full circle--the Empire (or perhaps the restored Republic) is threatened by some new villainous force that they are unable to contend with, and those in charge (perhaps Leia?) turn to Master Luke Skywalker and his newly formed Jedi Knights 2.0 for help. I'm not sure how Han Solo and Chewbacca would fit into this scenario, but it gets Luke and Leia into Episode VII in pivotal but not primary roles and allows for them to turn the franchise over to the younger Jedi.

Don't forget they're talking 10-12 afterwards as well..

Frankly, i like the premise of a new evil, but, instead of turning to luke and the new jedi, having to go to the remnants of the empire for help. Something that will bring the once warring sides back together to face a common enemy.

There will have to be sith or bad jedi or something similar otherwise, no saber fights and what's the point of jedi without saber fights?

------------

As for other stories, sure. I'm sure there's room for tons of them out there. They just aren't episodes 7-9 or 10-12. Saying episode 1, 2, 3, etc implies some level of ongoing story. Call 'em star wars : <insert subtitle here>. No Episodes. If they need their own episodes, fine, but they are their own episodes and not the existing line.

Yeah, but see, the problem with calling them "Star Wars: Episode ##" is that most people -- sadly -- lack vision and are unable to think outside the contours of what's already been done. Or to the extent they are, they can't see how it'd still be Star Wars without XYZ element.

"Only a few Jedi? But it's Star Wars!!"

Yes, but unless you can make the characters interesting, just a bunch of boring monks with glowbats isn't gonna cut it.

"No Emperor/Empire/Vader?! But it's Star Wars!"

Yes, but they've all been defeated. Bringing them back just so you can have a "Star Wars" villain is narrowminded in the extreme. An Imperial remnant is touchy enough as it is. I mean, obviously you'd want SOME kind of opposing army, but that doesn't mean they have to be the Empire. I mean, come on. You could just as easily make this a somewhat localized conflict, rather than yet another galactic civil war. For example, have some local despot or megalomaniac get it into his head that he's going to take over the entirety of his sector of space, secede, and exterminate some vulnerable population. The Republic mobilizes to stop it, and it turns out to be a bigger threat than initially perceived as additional star systems support this guy's cause (but not to the degree of a galactic civil war where EVERYONE is on one side or the other). Han could be used for his contacts in the underworld, playing "control" for a younger ex-criminal protegee who "volunteered" for the job (it was either that, or throw himself on the mercy of the Hutts). Blah blah blah, there's a million stories in the naked galaxy.

The problem is that people just tend to repeat what came before because it's the first place their mind goes. They don't think expansively. they just figure if it's "Star Wars" then it's got to replicate what came before.

I don't mean you, by the way, cbaoth. I just mean in general, I see people talking abotu what could/should be in the next movie and it all sounds like the same old stuff without any kind of interesting new twist on it. Yes, the new films should retain the same general feel of the originals, but they don't have to replicate them note for note.

I don't Normally post on this stuff. and not sure if this is known out there. but ive got it from a few reliable sources that there will be physical models in the new Star Wars.

Not sure how accurate this is, but it seems to support my suggestion of him showing up as Force Ghost for a new apprentice
If so it looks like were stuck with the Jedi/Sith struggle

'Palpatine' Will Return (But Not As A Clone) in 'Star Wars: Episode VII' - Latino-Review.com

well, that's pretty much what star wars is about :D Jedi and Sith need to be a part of the continued storyline... and saber fights... now, they can do away with all of that in the spinoff movies... but having said that, I'm not so sure I needed Palpy back as it takes away from the finality and ultimate triumph of Return of the Jedi. :(
At least he's a ghost.. so I guess he will educate and influence whoever upcoming Sith the future generation has to fight. If the rumor is true. Palpy was the most powerful of all Sith and the most successful. he pulled off the biggest heist and take over of the entire galaxy so why wouldn't he know the secret to immortality just as Qui-Gon, Yoda and eventually Obi-Wan did. I think I'm okay with it.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back