Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

I think practical is....well, practical :p

Agreed. :thumbsup

Anyone else hear this thing about Ewan MacGregor being in the next movie - taking over the Ghost of Obi Wan role?? Someone told me it was in the Disney newsletter.

I like McGregor, I really do. But I hope this is only a rumor. I'm not keen for any aspect of the prequels to trickle its way into this movie...

- - - Updated - - -

I really hope they listen to Hamill more. He's about on the same page as myself with his thoughts on these newer films.

I'd consider him to be more of an ambassador from the OT than anyone else.

I think Ewan McGregor is one of the best actors in the PT and therefore deserves a place in the new trilogy.

I agree that he was/is a good actor, but having him in the movie creates continuity issues along the same lines that GL himself created by removing Sebastian Shaw and replacing him with Hayden Christensen. Obi-wan didn't die a young Ewan McGregor, he died an old Alec Guinness.

I agree that he was/is a good actor, but having him in the movie creates continuity issues along the same lines that GL himself created by removing Sebastian Shaw and replacing him with Hayden Christensen. Obi-wan didn't die a young Ewan McGregor, he died an old Alec Guinness.
Swapping Sabastian with Hayden doesn't create a continuity issue, but it was a very poor decision with a dumb excuse for doing so. As far as that last point, while I don't think we should see Force ghost Obi-Wan in the ST, I'm sure if they did put him in they would make him look as close to Alec Guinness as possible and not the way he did when we last saw him in RotS.

Swapping Sabastian with Hayden doesn't create a continuity issue, but it was a very poor decision with a dumb excuse for doing so. As far as that last point, while I don't think we should see Force ghost Obi-Wan in the ST, I'm sure if they did put him in they would make him look as close to Alec Guinness as possible and not the way he did when we last saw him in RotS.

Swapping Shaw with Christensen was a continuity issue in that it created a situation that required an ex-post-facto dodge on why it "wasn't" a problem. And the explanation was a load of horsepucky anyway.

Showing a young MacGregor would be the exact same issue, and would require a similar dodge.

Really, though, I think you have to ask yourself WHY "glowie Obi-Wan" would show up in the first place. These stories aren't going to be about the OT characters -- they'll be about new characters with the OT characters being involved. Including characters like Obi-Wan is pointless anyway. I mean, unless Luke calls him up and he's like "Who's the new guy? Didn't I teach you enough to start teaching other people YOURSELF? I'm going back to bed. Damn kids..."

The music you chose gives it a nice mood. :)

I still don't think you'll see Disney branding in front of this though. Like the Marvel films it'll still be a Lucasfilm intro, just no 20th Century Fox.

Maybe a minor point, but I will miss the Fox logo. Always liked:
The 20th Century fox fanfare - followed by a moment of silence and the Lucasfilm logo - then the blare of horns of the Star Wars Theme and 'the crawl.'

Maybe Disney will change it's opening splash to include drums and a horn fanfare?

Whatever the viewpoint, I just sincerely hope the parade of prequel stars is left out of this movie. I've subjectively given a pass to two or three of the OT veterans for establishing/anchoring purposes, but aside from that, I'm hoping this is weighted towards new characters. I hope Kathleen Kennedy and J.J. Abrams have the willpower to fend off these folks from the prequels and elsewhere yelling "me too!" like Arnold Horshack.

I think that they may recognize that the PT stuff is at least somewhat controversial. Little kids dig it more than the OT because it's more oriented towards them and the kind of entertainment they watch now, but the older fans are decidedly split on the matter. And besides, the goal here is to build the franchise, not retread the same old ground for the umpteenth time.

Packing in characters from before...just because...is a bad idea. It's the kind of stupid marketing choice that suits make without understanding that, once you include them, you have to explain WHY you brought back, for example, a cybernetic Mace Windu, and how you explain away his obvious lack of aging because Sam Jackson is refusing to do the kind of heavy makeup required for him to play and 85-year-old half-robot Jedi.

I get why fans do this. they don't have a clear story in mind, and really, it's not their jobs to come up with one. They think about what a cool scene might look like, involving Mace Windu with robot arms or whatever, and they say "Yeah! That'd be awesome!" And as a visual sequence separate from any kind of plot, sure, it'd be cool. Hell, Sam's duel with Palpatine would've looked cool as just an isolated 15 second sequence in some trailer or whatever.

But you've got to be able to fit this stuff into a story and then not screw the whole enterprise up with poor execution. Including characters just because one can imagine a cool scene or some hastily imagined justification ("Well, he survived his fall and now he's turned to the dark side, so.....yeah.") probably will mean the story itself will suffer.

IF (big if) there's a ghost of Obi Wan, why does Ewan McGregor have to play him younger? He'll only be about 10 years younger than Guiness was in 75. Make up can easily make him look like the OT Obi Wan.

That said, the ghost(s) were there to help Luke with his journey because no one else could. The shot at the end of ROTJ should be them saying thank you and good bye. Luke shouldn't need to be seeing ghosts 20 years after the fact.

Maybe Luke will find some Obi holo messages. That way the look would match and Ewan could still play the part.

What people don't know is that Obi-Wan died shortly after his exile to Tatooine, when he got jacked by a caravan of Sand People. He had just learned the Qui-Gon shimmer from beyond trick and therefore was able to (With the help of Yoda) project a 'solid' trandimentional image of himself to help guide Luke along his path. Since Yoda had not seen Obi in a long time, he guessed at how old he would have been at the time, had Obi kept living.

This expalins in certain terms why 1. The Sand People were so terrified of him when he made the elephant noise in the desert. They had in fact, seen a ghost!
and 2. why he just 'dissappeared' when Vader punk whached him with the saber on the death star!

So, you see, Ewan can come back as Obi at his current age without any continuity issues at all!

I think that they may recognize that the PT stuff is at least somewhat controversial.

They'd be incredibly dense if they didn't. I'm getting good vibes from pretty much everything I'm seeing and hearing so far so I'm cautiously optimistic that this will all turn out well if they just distance themselves from the prequels.

Luke shouldn't need to be seeing ghosts 20 years after the fact.

Exactly. :thumbsup

What people don't know is that Obi-Wan died shortly after his exile to Tatooine, when he got jacked by a caravan of Sand People. He had just learned the Qui-Gon shimmer from beyond trick and therefore was able to (With the help of Yoda) project a 'solid' trandimentional image of himself to help guide Luke along his path. Since Yoda had not seen Obi in a long time, he guessed at how old he would have been at the time, had Obi kept living.

This expalins in certain terms why 1. The Sand People were so terrified of him when he made the elephant noise in the desert. They had in fact, seen a ghost!
and 2. why he just 'dissappeared' when Vader punk whached him with the saber on the death star!

So, you see, Ewan can come back as Obi at his current age without any continuity issues at all!

Or something like that... :lol

Right. But we're sorry you fell in love with a flawed version of the older films. Lucas always intended this. He always meant to have Ewan McGregor in the films, he just didn't have the technology to turn a then 5 year old Ewan into a 50-something Jedi. Also, Han was always intended to be more of a comical character, so expect him to be played by a tapdancing frog in the next films.

Maybe Luke will find some Obi holo messages. That way the look would match and Ewan could still play the part.

That's the only way I could see this working. Maybe Obi Wan had R2 record the real history of his parents for him to see later? They did a little of that in the EU where Luke accidentally finds a recording of Anakin and Padme talking and R2 tries to blow it off as old data. It would also make sense if he recorded or gave recordings to R2 on the Jedi for Luke to use later.

I'd like to see it as here were the mistakes we made. When you rebuild the order don't do this.

If they need an old Obi-wan for a ghost scene to two...

2281494_f248.jpg

Anyone else hear this thing about Ewan MacGregor being in the next movie - taking over the Ghost of Obi Wan role?? Someone told me it was in the Disney newsletter.
Except for the "Disney newsletter" part, I read something about this a while back. The article I read (online, btw) concluded with a comment from McGregor's publicist stating they hadn't heard from anyone about McGregor participating in any further Star Wars movies. So either it's true and everyone's trying to keep it as quiet as possible, or it's nothing more than Internet rumor; my money's on the latter.

Last edited:

I think Luke is going to BE a force ghost early on.
I doubt it...and i don't think he should be. The mentor helping the hero as a ghost has already been done...time for something new.

If they need an old Obi-wan for a ghost scene to two...

View attachment 181003
Aside from the shape of his face, the resemblance really is uncanny...I can't believe I haven't noticed it before.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back