Star Wars Tales of The Empire D+ animated series

I watched them all last night.

I am not certain why every B character needs a story told about them. These are nothing stories. Just more pity party characters.

Oh look. Someone dissatisfied with the status quo is tempted into an extremist view point, but they feel trapped and alone and with nowhere to go, stay. And they do bad stuff until one day, they can't take this status quo any longer and try to get out.

They should have just called this series: Star Wars: Stuff Some People Do During The Rule of the Empire.

This is why i think this format works well. I get that not all characters will appeal to your/our liking and it would be a safer bet to do another anakin or vader adventure, luke leia han teamup... However I do appreciate them taking a risk on other characters and stories, specially because I am not a book reader, and id like to know more.

Personally I would rather they make more of these isolated stories than another season of bad batch or whatever is next. Bad batch was ok but seeing everything repeat on and on and on got me disinterested. I love this style of animation and I hope they do more Tales.

What Disney ought to do is greenlight a limited series, either live-action or animated, that's based on the idea of the Empire and the Rebellion working together. I'm not talking about an alternate timeline/universe where the 2 factions are friends, but a story where a unit of Imperials and a unit of Rebels are forced or choose to work together against a common enemy like ruthless pirates. Or, set in the waning days of the Galactic Civil War the Imperials are a small(ish) garrison on some backwater world who saw little to no action and have gotten close to the civilians there. They later learn that there's a Rebel cell on the planet and they (the Imperials) receive orders to assist other Imperials (possibly Death Troopers) wipe out the civilians they're friendly with. So instead of helping they team up with the local Rebels. Basically a story taking inspiration from the real-life Battle of Castle Itter from WWII where US and German Heer troops fought together against Waffen SS Troops.

What Disney ought to do is greenlight a limited series, either live-action or animated, that's based on the idea of the Empire and the Rebellion working together. I'm not talking about an alternate timeline/universe where the 2 factions are friends, but a story where a unit of Imperials and a unit of Rebels are forced or choose to work together against a common enemy like ruthless pirates. Or, set in the waning days of the Galactic Civil War the Imperials are a small(ish) garrison on some backwater world who saw little to no action and have gotten close to the civilians there. They later learn that there's a Rebel cell on the planet and they (the Imperials) receive orders to assist other Imperials (possibly Death Troopers) wipe out the civilians they're friendly with. So instead of helping they team up with the local Rebels. Basically a story taking inspiration from the real-life Battle of Castle Itter from WWII where US and German Heer troops fought together against Waffen SS Troops.
There was an episode of Rebels that the rebels find an old Separatist base with active droids and they team up against the Empire. Wasn't too bad of an episode.

You're being a little basic with your explanation of that Battle for Castle Itter... It was 3 days before the official end of the the 39-45 War and they were anti-ss at that point and rebelling against their own entire army for all intents and purposes. . It's not like this was the middle of the war, and two sides came together to fight a common enemy and then went back to killing each other.

And this is supposed to be Tales of the Empire... We should be seeing the Empire doing what they Empire does. Bad thing! Enough of the shades of greys, or remorseful character, or forced into being bad but not really that person...

It's Tales of the Empire. Let's see them BE that ruthless force that inspired people to become the Rebels.

So.... The Truce at Bakura? Throw some dinosaurs in the mix?

Tales of the Mos Eisley Cantina?
Tales of the Bounty Hunters?
Tales from Jabba's Palace?

All ideas used as anthology novels in the mid to late 1990's. It's not a bad thing that Disney is doing these, but it's nothing ground breaking either. I guess that Expanded Universe they were so eager to throw away in 2012 had some interesting concepts in it after all, considering they've been lifting ideas from it since.

Modern Disney: No one is evil. Just misunderstood.

Last edited:

All ideas used as anthology novels in the mid to late 1990's. It's not a bad thing that Disney is doing these, but it's nothing ground breaking either. I guess that Expanded Universe they were so eager to throw away in 2012 had some interesting concepts in it after all, considering they've been lifting ideas from it since.

Modern Disney: No one is evil. Just misunderstood.
So I'm guessing that Jedi no longer carry lightsabers; they're armed with hugs? o_O

Disney didn't de-canonize the EU because they thought that it was no good, they did it so that they could pick and use, and sometimes alter the parts of the EU that they wanted. They didn't want to be tied to the EU knowing that if they kept it canon fans would scream whenever they violated the tiniest bit of canon from the EU. By making it no longer canon they were free to use whatever they wanted from the EU however they wanted to.

I understand the concept of wiping the slate clean so as not to be beholden to anything, but it becomes a joke when Kennedy is quoted as saying there was no existing material to draw from. While the franchise didn't originate from an already existing novel, decades of EU material kept the series alive to the point where outright lying about it, only to draw on it constantly, is really nothing more than gaslighting fans. I just reread the quote to be sure, and it's very clear.

Either way, what's done is done, so I won't belabor the point. Just making an observation. I also need to maintain my status as a grumpy old man. ;)

Last edited:
I understand the concept of wiping the slate clean so as not to be beholden to anything, but it becomes a joke when Kennedy is quoted as saying there was no existing material to draw from. While the franchise didn't originate from an already existing novel, decades of EU material kept the series alive to the point where outright lying about it, only to draw on it constantly, is really nothing more than gaslighting fans. I just reread the quote to be sure, and it's very clear.

Either way, what's done is done, so I won't belabor the point. Just making an observation. I also need to maintain my status as a grumpy old man. ;)
1716402278824.png

Here is some good history on what's canon and what's not: Canon

"There are two worlds here," explained Lucas. "There's my world, which is the movies, and there's this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe—the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. They don't intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, [but] they do intrude in between the movies. I don't get too involved in the parallel universe."

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back